This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2009 8:46 AM by wwmiller3 RSS

Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I am new to this site. So far it looks like a great site. I wanted to know how other Sprint users feel about the coverage in Southern Nevada. I have had Sprint since 12-1998 and had no problems.

• 1. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    USERKV8031 Expert

I moved from Henderson in Nov. but the coverage was awesome in the Valley. I even found it decent going up to Mount Charelston. There were dead spots going up there but that is to be expected and with the recent tower addition in the area it should be even better. Overall I would rate that one of the best Sprint markets I have been to. One thing that amazed me when I first went out there was the fact that I could hold calls going through the airport tunnel.

Kevin

• 2. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sprint Employee

I briefly worked in the Las Vegas market for Sprint and have to give kudos to their RF / operations / site development people.  Their coverage planning is some of the best I've seen.  Another large factor is the city and communities themselves ... with reasonable zoning and permitting ordinances (from what I can tell), it allows Sprint to deploy needed network resources in months rather than years.

• 3. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Larryt1971 Expert

I just took a look at the tower maps for Las Vegas and let me say it is just stacked full of coverage. Probably the best cell site spacing I have ever seen!

• 4. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    USERKV8031 Expert

The Las Vegas zoning board really works with the carriers and try to do what works for everyone. They don't tend to deal with NIMBYS for cell towers too much as I have seen them ask those that oppose and are present if they have a cell phone. When they all say yes that pretty much deals a blow to them. If you have a cell phone but fight towers it just doesn't seem right. Most of the towers out there are palm trees or pine trees so most people don't oppose them in their yard as they don't have to water them trees.

• 5. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Regular Visitor

That is why I am so surprised when people complain about their coverage. I hardly ever travel and use my phone all southern Nevada with great coverage. I guess I am lucky to have a well covered city unlike someother people. I think it helped that Sprint was the only landline carrier here for a long time. They offered Landline, long distance, wireless, dsl and paging.

• 6. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Regular Visitor

Yes!

• 7. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Larryt1971 Expert

CostantinoA80 wrote:
    That is why I am so surprised when people complain about their coverage. I hardly ever travel and use my phone all southern Nevada with great coverage. I guess I am lucky to have a well covered city unlike someother people. I think it helped that Sprint was the only landline carrier here for a long time. They offered Landline, long distance, wireless, dsl and paging.

Are you the same Antonio from Vegas who used to post on the usenet groups about 6 or 7 years ago?

• 8. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada

I have experienced all carriers in the Las Vegas Valley and I can say from experience, Sprint has the fastest network in the Valley IMO. When I travel I normally always have an EVDO connection most of the places I've been.

• 9. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada
    Randy_Spolter Sprint Employee

Las Vegas is among the first cities to enjoy 4G wireless connections from Sprint.  Check out the 3G/4G USB Modem U300, the first device from any wireless carrier to offer access to both 3G and 4G.

Sprint 4G delivers peak downlink speeds of more than 10 Mbps and average downlink speeds of 3-6 Mbps – three to five times faster than the 3G service offered by any carrier today, based on average download speeds.

• 10. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada

I can vouch for 4G!  I was happy with the Sprint Mifi 2200 3G and the almost T1 download speed on my MacBook Pro.  It really IS a sweet little device. BUT the MiFi 2200 is going back and I'll almost happily pay the early termination fee.

We signed up for Clear 4G about a month ago (Clear is 51% owned by Sprint as I understand it, and Clear and Sprint 4G are the same towers/coverage) for home and mobile.  Got a desktop unit and a mobile USB (similar to the U300 mentioned above), both with unlimited traffic at a lifetime fixed price of $60.78 per month including all charges, taxes, etc.

Since not all the Las Vegas 4G towers are online yet (I'm told they will be by 9/8/09 just a week away) my house is in a fringe area... but even with 2.5 out of 5 bars, I average 3 Mbps downloading from the newsgroups.  Just a few blocks away, it's 5 out of 5 bars and 9 Mbps from the newsgroups.

At my office and around town I get 10 out of 10 bars on the USB 4G modem.  Newgroups downloads run an average of 7 Mbps with peaks of 13 Mbps.  I don't even bother to connect to our work network any longer, I just sit at my desk with my MBP using Clear and access our network via the VPN.  Except for internal file transfers, it is faster! LOL

So based on my experience with Clear 4G, I'm expecting great things on the Sprint 4G network (something like 80 more cities coming online in the next year.) 

I like Sprint.   At least Sprint doesn't cripple the features of my phone like Verizon.  I've been a cellular subscriber in Las Vegas long enough to have a 4 digit account number with Verizon.  It's been so long I can't even remember the name of the first company... but in all the buyouts over the years, I ended up with Verizon.  I had fewer dropped calls with Verizon/the others but even in the three years I've had Sprint, I think I've dropped less than ten calls.  Yes, I switched because I finally got fed up with having to "hack" my phones to get the features that Verizon had crippled.  I decided to go with a more business oriented company rather than one that panders to the teen market.

• 11. Re: Coverage In Las Vegas, Nevada

Now, if we could only get support for the U300 under Mac OS X!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...