This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2009 11:59 PM by audirocks1 RSS

Novatel Ovation U727 with Snow Leopard Connection Issues

Currently Being Moderated

Hi. I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard 10.6 from the final developer release. When I plug in the Novatel Ovation U727 and even after re-installing (and re-re-installing the drivers) I can't get the "connect" button to be selectable.

I was able to randomly connect once today all of a sudden but have not been able to re-produce the connection again.

Any thoughts and anyone else on the cutting edge been able to solve this problem or aware of newer drivers?

-- Schwa

• 1. Re: Novatel Ovation U727 with Snow Leopard Connection Issues

Schwa, I have the exact problem with my Sprint 598.  I tried Google for the past 2 hours, no luck with Snow Leopard.

Solution.  What you need to do is uninstall or remove all the Sprint Smartview junk.  Reboot your Mac and plug your U727 into your laptop.  It should pickup Sprint in your Network.  At the same time, it should add an extra broadband icon on top of your menubar (next to the time).  To connect, all you need to do is right click on the icon and select Connect.  The account name and dial up number (if any) should be pre-filled.  I hope that works for you.  I'm happy with my 598 with Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard.

• 2. Re: Novatel Ovation U727 with Snow Leopard Connection Issues

This worked for me to get the U727 working after upgrading to Snow Leopard:

http://bjdraw.com/2009/08/30/how-to-make-the-sprint-novatel-u727-evdo-modem-work-in-snow-leopard/

I followed his instructions and now U727 is working fine (I haven't tested the speed yet though).

Greg

• 3. Re: Novatel Ovation U727 with Snow Leopard Connection Issues

I have a Sprint Merlin EX720 Mobile Broadband Expresscard that I am experiencing a like problem with.  I tried the process that you offered but it didn't work for me.  Any other suggestions out there?

• 4. Re: Novatel Ovation U727 with Snow Leopard Connection Issues

macrumors.com

Some Details on First Mac OS X 10.6.1 Seed (Build 10B503), Flash Updated

Thursday September 03, 2009 09:08 PM EST
    Written by Arnold Kim

Mac News

World of Apple posts the seed notes from the first Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard update that has begun seeding to a limited audience. The 71.5 MB update details these changes:

The 10.6.1 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including fixes for:

- compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems
    - an issue that might cause DVD playback to stop unexpectedly
    - some printer compatibility drivers not appearing properly in the add printer browser
    - an issue that might make it difficult to remove an item from the Dock
    - instances where automatic account setup in Mail might not work
    - an issue where pressing cmd-opt-t in Mail brings up the special characters menu instead of moving a message
    - Motion 4 becoming unresponsive

Snow Leopard was officially launched on August 28th. Apple typically continues non-stop development after the initial launch of a major operating system to quickly address remaining bugs and outstanding issues.

Update: The new build updates Adobe Flash to 10.0.32.18, addressing a concern reported earlier today.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points