This discussion is archived
1 23 24 25 26 27 Previous Next 403 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2010 10:50 PM by CINDY4GLEN Go to original post RSS
  • 375. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

Uh...good luck with the Moment I guess. Also +1 for the browser. It's great to me. Except for sites with heave flash as it slows down the browser.

• 376. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Valued Member

A plus for the browser on the Hero?   You guys drink as much kool aid as iphone users...The brower in 1.5 sucks and it's not all the hero's fault....Or even 20%...The link I'm posting below has a rough browser speed test between the droid and the iphone 3gs...CLEARLY the iphone smokes it & the droids running 2.0...Trust me I'll never own an iphone or a mac...But COME ON!!!!!!!  I've used Steel on the Hero and it's way faster than the default browser, but you guys are out of your minds if you think the Hero has a decent browser, compared to what?...I own it...I've got it in my hands...I'm pushing the browser button and the browser sucks compared to the competition...

link to browser test droid vs 3gs...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/motorola-droid-first-hands-on/

• 377. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Expert

Umm...Why are you so down on it? We get it. You don't like it, so what. The browser is fine for my needs. I've already seen that video. What does it have to do with this?

• 378. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

I'll add my 2 cents. Installed ChompSMS like I was told to. Disabled internal SMS/MMS app. Worked wonders dropped the wake time from 100% to 10-50% (depending). But I use ebuddy for my IM client and it keeps the phone from sleeping "normally." Prior to me turning on ebuddy I previously had a wake time of 10mins. now I have 24mins of 34mins up time. Does anyone happen to have a better client I/we can use like Beejive ?

edit: Since this post was made I turned off ebuddy at 32mins of wake time. Now its reading 40mins of wake out of 2hrs 21mins. Not to sure how it jumped to 40 from 32.

Message was edited by: 9507

• 379. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Valued Member

The IPhone smoked it? What video are you watching? It was around a 8 second diffrence that doesn't constitute smoking it to me. Also is the Droid running with flash enabled??

• 380. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    chompy2013 Valued Member

You guys are all way off topic. Please stay to the topic for those of us monitoring battery life issues. Thanks.

Also, for you other battery hogs out there i just ordered the 2 extra batteries and battery charger for $17 on ebay, which is not BS according to this guy who ordered it and tested it out, watch the video if you don't believe it.

With 2 extra batteries who the **** cares how much awake time there is. I have to have my phone hooked up to my charger practically all day because i use it so much, at home or in the car.

• 381. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

I think Palringo is probably the best im client

• 382. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

I'm currently using handcent. I miss the default sms app but it can be customized to my liking and is doing a good job.

I really wish HTC and Sprint would hurry up and release a fix for this instead of taking their time like it doesn't matter. The battery life is actually really great on Hero, (I'm about 80% at the end of the day after 5 phonecalls about 10 mins each, lots of texting and light web browsing), but many will think it's bad because of the glitch. Plus, I want the native SMS app back.

And for the record, I had a iPhone 3GS since it launched and just left for the Hero...the Hero's browser smokes the iPhone's. The only thing the iPhone browser does better is pinching to zoom, it's a lot smoother and more responsive. Speed, layout, visual bookmarks, the kinetic scrolling...the Hero smokes the iPhone browser in every area. I can load the full Facebook website to perfection on the Hero faster than I can load the Touch or Mobile website on the iPhone. Forget about loading, and USING, the full Facebook website on iPhone. The Hero's browser is superrior.

Message was edited by: jonnybryce

• 383. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Valued Member

What??  I've tested multiple sites with the Hero and Moment againest the iphone 3gs on the same wifi network and over cell networks and the Hero's browser sucks...It's not just the browser...Everything is slow ont he Hero...The Moment on the other hand loaded most sites about 4 seconds faster than the iphone....About the same difference that the iphone beat the Hero...Get over it, that phone blows & the browser blows even more...Ive yet to actually meet anyone that liked that phone over the Moment...I've met people that traded it in for a Moment at the same time I did though...

• 384. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Regular Visitor

Well, I'll give you one thing on the Moment, it definately burns through a fully charged battery faster than either the Hero or the Iphone and yes I had all three.  Sadly, the IPhone definately has the edge on battery life.  I've just returned my Moment to get a Hero.  I've gotten to use them both for a week and I agree the Moment is a bit faster but the Hero hasn't needed to have its battery removed twice to reset it.  And my Hero knows where it is without using the GPS receiver which does more battery damage.  At least the Moment I had was not a fully finished product in my opinion.  ****, the Hero has issues too.  Hopefully Sprint will get those updates/maintanance releases out shortly so at least we can all use bluetooth to transfer files and use handsfree devices without issues like a RAZR could do 4 years ago.

On a side note, the fixes for the SMS on the Hero definately make a huge difference for battery life.  18 Hours off the charger and the phone is still at 60% and thats with push email on exchange, some texting, a few short calls and some light browsing for 30 minutes or so.

• 385. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Valued Member

4 seconds really 4 seconds? So I have to wait 4 more seconds for my browser to load then for yours to load? Then your right this phone blows I am so glad you saved me those 4 seconds. Good god man I must take this phone back right now.

The thing is I just loaded up a site on my phone it took 5 seconds before I could start to browse the site. It may not have loaded all the advertisements and **** but it was loaded to the point that I could start browsing the parts of the site I wanted to browse. The phone doesn't blow your sense of wanting to knock something that is four seconds slower blows.

• 386. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

THere's nothing to get over. It's faster, it loads websites better, it's just better. If you don't like it, fine. I have a 3GS right behind me that I haven't sold yet and I'm still in my 30 day window, but I'm staying with the Hero because it's better. Facebook.com loads to perfection on my Hero in less than 10 seconds. Do that on iPhone and tell me what happens.

Sprint's network murders AT&T's for data and the only thing iPhone does better is pinch zooming. That's the bottom line. "Everything" is not slower on the Hero, it's the complete opposite.

But yeah, we get it. You don't like the Hero. So carry on.

• 387. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life

I have been having the same annoying problem with my HTC Hero.  Each time anyone leaves a voicemail, I immediately get a text message from "9016" stating "Android has sent you a sprint voice message...call 408-970-0000 to listen."  The text message also includes the phone number the caller is from.  I dialed the 408 # from a land line and it asks you to enter the 10 digit phone number that recieved the SMS voice message.  When doing so, it indicates that the system can not be accessed from the phone number I dialed from and asks to access the 408 # from the actual mobile phone the message was sent to.  I don't want to do that.  I've gone online and blocked 9016 twice, and I still get the messages.  Why can this not be fixed?

• 388. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

TGK wrote:

I have been having the same annoying problem with my HTC Hero.  Each time anyone leaves a voicemail, I immediately get a text message from "9016" stating "Android has sent you a sprint voice message...call 408-970-0000 to listen."  The text message also includes the phone number the caller is from.  I dialed the 408 # from a land line and it asks you to enter the 10 digit phone number that recieved the SMS voice message.  When doing so, it indicates that the system can not be accessed from the phone number I dialed from and asks to access the 408 # from the actual mobile phone the message was sent to.  I don't want to do that.  I've gone online and blocked 9016 twice, and I still get the messages.  Why can this not be fixed?

That's Handcent's fault, not the Hero's. You can ignore those messages by replying to one using Handcent and then blacklisting the number.

You don't get those messages unless you use Handcent.

• 389. Re: Source (+ fix) for Hero's poor battery life
    Regular Visitor

@TGK Are you using Hancent SMS?

If so, they should have fixed this problem last week. Check "My Downloads" in the Market & see if it tells you "Update Available" on your Handcent app.

They have been updating it quite frequently (every couple of days) so you might want to keep checking for updates.

It was doing the same thing to me but now that I've got the latest version it's not doing it anymore.