This discussion is archived
1 2 3 31 Previous Next 452 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 11:32 PM by KRAZYDAWG825 RSS

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

GregNx Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Final Update 6DEC10 - switching to Verizon

I have seen that this problem still exists with both of my Moments on the latest software (installed as instructed at the update site). I believe that this problem has not been taken seriously by Sprint or Samsung. 

My experience with the current software shows that they are trying to recover from this bad radio state rather than fix it, as evidenced by an unusable radio for up to 10 minutes.  Their software recovery method does not always work, even after an hour of leaving the phone to manage itself.  A reboot has all but one time fixed it (with the latest software). The one time it didn't work I had to reboot twice. Toggling Wifi can still make this happen. 

Whatever the reason (hardware or software), Sprint hasn't handled this problem well. Samsung apparently thought this design problem was acceptable. Given the plethora of Samsung device problems I've heard about for their other phones, I think Samsung has some growth opportunities in the realm of Android phone design, and I am steering clear of them for a while. 

I have decided to solve this problem by taking my business to Verizon, after 12 years with Sprint.  I will be paying cancellation fees for my contracts and paying for new phones in order to have phone service that meets my expectations (phones that make phone calls!).  Up until May of this year I always told people that Sprint has good service (coverage, customer, support) as long as you don't change anything, i.e. it was worth the money. 

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that.  I won't recommend Sprint anymore. Their policies to retain customers appear to have shifted some time in 2009, and this is actually the second time their device replacement constraints have negatively affected me.  It's a different company from my perspective.

Verizon Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro - first week - faster data, (obviously) faster phones, Android 2.2, can use WiFi anytime I want.  Finally.

Good luck to all. Hopefully your continuing experience will be better than mine.

7NOV09 - Posts alerting Sprint to this problem
26JAN10 - Sprint continues investigation, CL14 has (unadvertised) fix (chipset problem)
11AUG10 - Sprint unofficially says Sprint and Samsung is working in the lab to solve it, mentions that customers are critical to Sprint creating a better product

Past info from this thread:

Day 2, noticed that the top bar area is showing an X in the signal bars, and the radio is off (phone info shows this).  Airplane mode is also periodically marked as enabled, turning it off worked one or two times to re-enable the radio, so I could make phone calls.  Usually it does not.  Power cycling the phone worked twice, but now it's not working at all.  Phone isn't able to make phone calls or do data.

When trying to make a call, it says "To place a call, first turn off Airplane mode.".  Going to Settings - Wireless Controls - Airplane mode is not selected (no green arrow). Holding the power button down shows "Airplane mode is OFF".

Service state in Settings - About  Phone - Status - Service state - shows "Radio off".

Some others on other forums have run into this as well.  Anyone know of a way to resolve this (besides get a new phone)?

Updating the top of this thread 2SEP10 to make it more obvious (like it needs that) -

So it's been 9 months since I highlighted this problem (which to be fair, the above issue started as a normal airplane mode problem but ended up killing the hardware completely).  I am now on my 7th Moment (9 total for my family) and they have ALL had this airplane mode problem at least once. My latest phone locked up within an hour of getting it from the store.

In order to bypass the "third party app" generic excuse, when I'm ready to try my luck again, I factory reset my phone, just toggle WiFi, then move around on Google Maps (use data).  Every unit locks up, usually within an hour.  Then I show up at the store with my phone locked up, loaded exactly the way they gave it to me, and the salesman and I both act shocked that my phone is locked up. Given that I've had so many of these replaced, they're giving me new units as replacements. Appbrain is your friend.

I too have been threatened with a device downgrade (Hero or Intercept) as a reward for paying $500 for two defective phones.  It appears that there's no benefit to Sprint to take 4G phones away from people that want to pay for them, as I've called Sprint (normal and retention) and talked to retail salespeople (manager and assistant) and they have assured me that there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to give me a phone that is as good or better than the Moment. Apparently "a 4G phone is too big of a step up" compared to the trouble that I'm having....

Since these replacements are being handled by the manufacturer's warranty, and that's up in another 3 months (for me), I've got a small window to make some decisions.  A friend told me that the cost of Verizon's plans are now about par with Sprint's.  If I'm going to have to pay for a replacement phone, I might as well try another CDMA carrier after 12 years with Sprint.

Message was edited by: GregNx

• 1. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    GregNx Regular Visitor

Tried factory reset, no luck.  Went ahead and took it to store, rep tried, then took it in the back and had someone else try, still no help.  They replaced the phone (got another box o' stuff as well).

• 2. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Regular Visitor

I have seen that a couple times.  Power cycling fixed it for me.  Once I notices the X and power cycled.  Another time it said airplane mode was not enabled but when I went to powercycle it said airplane mode was enabled.  Toggling airplane mode didn't fix it but so far power cycling always did.

• 3. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Regular Visitor

I just had this happened to me.  This is getting ridiculous now.

• 4. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

I just got the Moment on the 6th and I am having the same problem. I am already on my 2nd Moment in 2 days and I am still having the same issue. I am also having problems with the Google apps on the phone like gmail, google maps and the Market. When I went to the Sprint store for the 4th time this weekend the rep told me that Sprint is doing major upgrades to their network and it should be resolved in a few days. So far this phone sucks!

• 5. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    BKATZUNG01 Regular Visitor

This has happened to me exactly once so far (I guess I'm lucky).

The power button menu said Airplane Mode was On. I turned it off, powercycled the phone, and was back in business.

• 6. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    psparky Newbie

This also happened to me once.  A reboot fixed it.

• 7. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

HI All- I'm getting the same error. Have to turn the phone off and back on each time. It's happening every few hours or so now. Have had the phone for about 2 days.

• 8. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Regular Visitor

Yet another fatal bug:  This morning I was using Pandora and it worked fine for about 10 minutes before stopping.  I exited and something didn't seem right so I thought maybe the airplane crashed on me (there has to be a good catchphrase for this bug?) so I called my home phone.  Worked fine to call but... I couldn't hang up.    It ignored the red button.  The soft keys seemed to work and I could get to the home screen and back to the call but I couldn't hang it up.  Or turn off the phone.  I finally had to remove the battery.

I don't know if it is related but after that the USB worked again (yesterday I couldn't get it to recognize the USB except for charging).  Also the bluetooth connected with the car each time, once as soon as the car turned on (just like my previous phones did EVERY time) but the one call I tried still didn't work.  The audo only comes out of the handset now even though the car shows it is in call and I can terminate the call from the car buttons.

The good news is I haven't seen Airplane Mode or the crashing samsumg.mumble crash message since last week.

• 9. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    miniTrim Newbie

Add another person to the list...

I've had it for a week and this just happened to me this afternoon. A "power down, remove battery for 30 seconds, power up" fixed it, at least temporarily.

• 10. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

Same thing.. hope we get some sort of real fix sometime soon. Rebooting the phone all the time really sucks.

• 11. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Sirikit Newbie

My turn to chime in. Have had the phone since Friday and it went into random airplane mode today. Considering going into a Sprint store to have them look at or exchange the phone.

• 12. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

i had the same problem. i ended up so po'd that i cancelled service with sprint. after thinking about that move, i reactivated. no more problems. i went through 3 heros before getting the moment and i have to say, i like the moment a little better.

• 13. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Sirikit Newbie

I have no issues with Sprint. Or the Moment, for when it's working as it should. I think it's a great phone... I just wish it didn't have the bugs that it does.

I just want to know that it's a software issue that can be resolved rather than me having a lemon of a phone. Others have stated they had to go in and trade out their phone until they obtained one that worked. If that's the case, that's what I'll have to do but I just want to know that it will be resolved.

• 14. Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly
    Sprint Admin

I've reported this issue.  Will post if I hear anything back.

1 2 3 31 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points