This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2009 4:51 AM by halcyoncmdr123 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Running Smartview after installing Vista SP2
    Currently Being Moderated

I too am struggling with blue screen errors associated with the U300 card, and my routine starts with "mobile radio off."  I am in DC where we don't have 4G service yet, but I have gotten it up in Baltimore.  There has been a weak 4G signal here but I have never been able to connect to it. I run XP SP3 on a 32 bit machine (Intel Core Duo T2400).  After talking to Sprint support, they suggested that I go to a Sprint store with full tech support.  I went up to Columbia MD so there would be techs familiar with 4G and the U300.

The night before I went up there, the SmartView update pushed itself onto my machine, so I had the 2.27 version.  At the Sprint Store, they checked my modem and decided that it should be switched out because it didn't seem to be picking up a 4G signal, even though the store had a repeater and other devices were picking it up.  (I had gotten one earlier that day somewhere else in Columbia).  They had to order the modem for me, so I couldn't take a new one home.  They also said that I should uninstall Smartview and all of my internet connections and reinstall it/them from the Sprint download site.

I did the re-install of SmartView but the blue screen errors continued.  They are not constant, just about once a day.  Saturday, I picked up the new modem. I stayed in the store for a while with my computer but wasn't able to produce any blue screens, so I thought maybe the problem was fixed.  They had no 4G signal thay day, so I couldn't test that.  One sure way to get a blue screen was to right click on the Beceem Communications Tarang3 driver in Device manager, and that didn't cause an error Saturday.  (The driver version I have is 5.2.66.0 from 5/28/09.)

Since then (today's Tuesday), I did get one blue screen error on Sunday, and one yesterday.  So it's not fixed. I am going to take Groovedaddy up on his offer, and send him my diagnostics.txt file.  Today's doesn't include any blue screens (yet?), but maybe it will tell him something.

Finally, I called account services to try to get my plan changed from the 79.99 rate to 69.99.  Despite it being on the website, the account services person couldn't find it.  But when I walked her to it, and she put it in the system, the price came up as 59.99.  So go figure.

• 31. Re: Running Smartview after installing Vista SP2
    Regular Visitor

You should be able to get the $50/month (not the $59.95/month) 3G-only plan if you also have EverythingData or EverythingData450.  I think they throw in a free month of service too.  That said, this is a very poor device to use for 3G-only and if that's all you want from it, you're reportedly better off exchanging it for a Sierra 598 or the Ovation 760.

My own testing of SSV 2.27 with U300 on 32-bit Windows (Xp SP1/SP2 --not SP3 and Vista SP1/SP2) showed that the 5/09 driver from Beceem doesn't work under Clear or Sprint connection managers.  There are reports it works with 64-bit Windows and Windows 7 though, so go figure.  Granted I had two cards that were missing their digital certs and may have had other issues, but I doubt it since I eventually got past that and could reliably connect to 4G using Clear's Connection Manager (would prompt for Clear's DayPass or signup for a Monthly plan or access a Clear account to pay your bill) --but not with their latest version containing the same 5/09 driver from Beceem.   Here's the killer --unless you have a working Beceem driver, SSV won't initialize the U300 properly --it will just hang with "Mobile Radio Off" even if you are only interested in doing EVDO.   Also, I could not get the SSV 2.27 software to ever reliably connect/disconnect to 3G or 4G on those versions of Windows that I listed --even after discovering I had to downgrade the Beceem driver to the 11/08 release (included in the files that are part of the older version of SSV currently listed as "for Windows 2000" and in the older version of Clear's Connection Manager).  On 32-bit Vista SP2, even sitting with five bars for EVDO, I still had to quit SSV and initiate all of my 3G connections using the "Mobile" connection profile in Windows directly (after first making sure the card was slow-flashing green, which can be coerced by running SSV and not clicking on anything); however, the older version of SSV on (old dangerous versions of Windows) seemed to be able to connect/disconnect from 3G fine.  Bottom line, the software is bad --and in my case, even after all the many hours of working around this stuff I wound up hitting the wall because my card came without a digital cert necessary to use WiMax without paying extra money to Clear.

There are other posts on how to install the old Beceem drivers from the prior release of SSV.  Suffice to say, you have to make sure the card is plugged in, remove the current drivers (and select "delete them") in the Device Manager on Windows, then start the installation of the old version of SSV long enough for it to decompress (but don't click to approve it actually installing or de-installing anything) and while it's sitting there waiting for you to approve or cancel, go into the Temp directory under your Local directory in your default path on Windows and find where it decompressed your files, then go into Device Manager and cause it to install the Beceem drivers from that Wimax directory and after all that verify in Device Manager that you have drivers from, I think, November of 2008.  From there when SSV is started it will be able to initialize both the CM6002 (serial) driver and the Beceem driver and will then start doing its funky dance to find WiMax or EVDO.

• 32. Re: Running Smartview after installing Vista SP2 - @everyone

I have Windows 7 but it won't let me activate my card so here's my Diagnostics File

• 33. Re: Running Smartview after installing Vista SP2 - @everyone

Bad news.  Live in suburb of DFW area and just purchased the Sprint 4G service.

Running 32-Bit Vista Enterprise Edition with SP2.

Have installed SmartView 2.27.0064.0 and cannot get 4G service.

As others have posted in various threads on this forum, go thru the following sequence when trying to Enable 4G:

1)  Starts with "WIMax Radio Off"
    2) "Initializing WiMax Device"
    3) "Searching for Networks"

4) "No Networks Found"

5) "WIMax Turning Off Radio"

6) "WiMax turning off radio"

Thinking either problem with drivers/software, or the 4G network is not widely accessible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 34. Re: Running Smartview after installing Vista SP2 - @everyone
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

robvettor wrote:

Bad news.  Live in suburb of DFW area and just purchased the Sprint 4G service.

Running 32-Bit Vista Enterprise Edition with SP2.

Have installed SmartView 2.27.0064.0 and cannot get 4G service.

As others have posted in various threads on this forum, go thru the following sequence when trying to Enable 4G:

1)  Starts with "WIMax Radio Off"
    2) "Initializing WiMax Device"
    3) "Searching for Networks"

4) "No Networks Found"

5) "WIMax Turning Off Radio"

6) "WiMax turning off radio"

Thinking either problem with drivers/software, or the 4G network is not widely accessible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Somne of the U300 devices were shipped from the manufacturer without the WiMax certificate installed. There may still have been/still be some in markets that did not have it preloaded.

You can download the certificate installation utility directly from the Sprint.com download page here:

http://www.nextel.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/sprint_u300.shtml

If the U300 device needs the certificate installed it will install it. If it does not need the certificate installed it will not change anything, so there is no risk of using it on a device that already has the cert installed.

U300 WiMAX Certificate Update Tool

Uploads the WiMAX certificate that is required to access Sprint’s 4G network for a limited number of impacted U300 where no WiMAX certificate was loaded.

NOTE: You must have the impacted U300 connected to the computer that has the tool downloaded to it.
    Certificate Update Tool steps:

Download .zip package below via an alternative Internet connection.
    Insert the impacted U300 device.
    Proceed through the installation screens as prompted which will complete and then run "U300 WiMax Certificate Update Tool" automatically.
    If your device does not need a certificate update, the tool will display "Your device was already updated".
    If you do need a certificate update, you will see a button "Start Certificate Update" which you will need to click.
    If your computer is not connected to the internet, this tool will use the U300 to connect to the internet briefly.
    Once completed, the tool will display the message "update success".
    Once the tool presents the “update success” message it will automatically uninstall from your computer.
    Now launch Sprint SmartView 2.27 software, insert your device and you will be able to connect to 4G if you are in a 4G area and have a 4G capable service plan, otherwise your device will connect to 3G.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...