This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2009 9:55 PM by Fubar12345 RSS

Can't download apps from WiFi connection

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

New phone for me, I've searched the forum for similar problems, but maybe my search skills are weak.  I have connected to several WiFi points (mostly open) with no problems.  I was unable to download apps last night from my WiFi at home (WEP security-never a problem connecting- it remembers the WEP passcode reliabily).  I was hoping to download the apps from Andriod market faster than while on EVdo.  Is this normal behavior?

• 1. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    BUNK Valued Member

No, this is not normal behavior.  I install apps all the time with WiFi. In fact exclusively with WiFi.

Are you sure you have set up your Google account correctly?

Whether you want it or not, you must set up a Gmail account in order to use the Market. Your purchase confirmations go to Gmail.

• 2. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    Regular Visitor

Oh yeah, I've had the google account for ages.  I tried three different free apps to download.  All hung up before the DL started.  I initially thought it was one bad app in the market, but any app I tried to DL hung up. They downloaded, and installed perfectly when I turned off WiFi.

• 3. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    DaWeavINC Expert

I sometimes see them hang and won't download, and like you said, once I turn off WiFi they finally download.

Here's something.  I long pressed the hangup button and toggled 'Mobile Network' at the bottom of the list so it read 'Connect to Internet is OFF'.  Then I went to the Marketplace and WOW it was screaming fast and the apps download lightning fast!  ALSO, I don't know if it is just me, but the Hero seems a lot peppier all around with this Mobile Network toggled to OFF even when using apps that don't require network access.  So, I have now added the HTC Widget for the Mobile Network toggle to my Hero's desktop repertoire.  The only thing that doesn't work, except SprintTv which I don't use anyway, is refreshing Yahoo mail accounts since I don't have a Yahoo Plus subscription.  Oh well, I can live without $grubby$ ol' Yahoo when I'm connected to WiFi.

I guess that I will now need a Locale plug-in or something else that will allow a condition to automatically toggle the Mobile Network OFF when WiFi is connected.

• 4. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    Regular Visitor

Thanks for the insight.  Glad to know it's not just me, despite not having a definitive answer.

• 5. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    BUNK Valued Member

In my case, phone service is so poor in my house (1 bar if I'm lucky), WiFi is about the only way I could ever get a download from the market. It always works flawlessly. If  I turn WiFi off, I get nothing. Can't even get a list of my installed programs.

W/O it I can't even use the web browser with any success.

• 6. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    Regular Visitor

FWIW, last night I suscessfully downloaded an app from the market via WiFi.  Hmmm.

• 7. Re: Can't download apps from WiFi connection
    Fubar12345 Expert

I too have had hit or miss luck trying to download apps over my home wifi.  Sometimes it hangs for hours and other times it goes rather quickly?

Fubie

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points