This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2009 11:52 AM by rebs RSS

Change startup applications & reopening applications

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

First issue

---------------

My biggest complaint with this phone (outside the battery issue which is already been addressed) is the lag; specifically when you turn the phone from portrait to landscape mode. 

I've noticed that if I close all my applications then the keyboard will rotate almost immediately, but if not it can take up to 10 seconds (which is absurd).

I've downloaded & installed Advanced Task Killer to help with this problem and it works well, but I've noticed that sometimes applications open by themselves.

For example, the voice dialer and sprint navigation. I never even open these applications, but yet they are occasionally open, and sometimes a few hours after I close them they will re-open again.

Any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

Second issue

--------------------

This is kind of related to the first issue, but it seems all kind of HTC/Android apps (that came with the phone) open upon powering on the phone.  Seems like there should be a simple way to change the startup options, but I can't seem to find it.

Any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    Valued Member

What 3rd party apps have you installed? Unfortunately, unlike the iPhone which prevents 3rd party app multitasking (probably for this very reason), there may be one or more apps that weren't designed as efficiently as they could be. I would recommend either uninstalling some apps one by one and see if you notice any difference, or do a Factory Data Reset and reinstall apps one by one until you duplicate the problem.

I'm using no non-HTC 3rd party apps aside for Handcent SMS (for the battery life issue) and have no problems so far. I will start installing other apps one by one and keep an eye on performance.

• 2. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    hakudoshi Valued Member

Anyone have any more insight to the lag on the phone? I am becoming more and more frustrated with it. Everything from trying to pull up the menu, dialer, etc.. . When I place a call the screen is taking several seconds before it pops up the display and begins ringing. My text messages appear first and then about 5-10 seconds later the notification tone begins.

• 3. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

hakudoshi wrote:

Anyone have any more insight to the lag on the phone? I am becoming more and more frustrated with it. Everything from trying to pull up the menu, dialer, etc.. . When I place a call the screen is taking several seconds before it pops up the display and begins ringing. My text messages appear first and then about 5-10 seconds later the notification tone begins.

ndroid 1.5 is just laggy. I've noticed that certain third-party apps like ShopSavvy and Handcent make the phone significantly laggier. I've gotten rid of those and a few others and the phone is much faster, but it's still laggy.

We're going to have to wait for an OS update to 1.6 or 2.0 to see that improve much.

• 4. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    Regular Visitor

Hi - never saw any replies regarding changing startup apps.  Has anyone found how to control which apps start up automatically?

Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    Valued Member

andib wrote:

Hi - never saw any replies regarding changing startup apps.  Has anyone found how to control which apps start up automatically?

Thanks!!

I believe you need root access.  I have root and utilize a paid program called autostarts which is one easy GUI way of modifing what starts automatically (it does have a minimal fee).  Autostarts also shows what apps open for each action.  For example, the following apps (or some code from these apps) are utilized everytime a SMS message is received:  Messags, Voicemail, Handcent SMS, Sprint Navigation.  Interesting huh?

• 6. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    Regular Visitor

Thanks Rebs!

I'm an android newbie..  Could you save me some google searching and tell me how to get root access?  Are there any gotchas (voiding warranty possibilities, etc) to doing so?

Is there a way(or another app) to have the apps that open for an action be nice and close the apps they use once they are done?

I just LOVE my Hero for the most part, but this battery usage is KILLING me!

(also trying to find how to disable the vibration for notifications on the phone - i've set it off in a few places, but it's still a shakin!)

Thanks again!!

• 7. Re: Change startup applications & reopening applications
    Valued Member

andib wrote:

Thanks Rebs!

I'm an android newbie..  Could you save me some google searching and tell me how to get root access?  Are there any gotchas (voiding warranty possibilities, etc) to doing so?

Is there a way(or another app) to have the apps that open for an action be nice and close the apps they use once they are done?

I just LOVE my Hero for the most part, but this battery usage is KILLING me!

(also trying to find how to disable the vibration for notifications on the phone - i've set it off in a few places, but it's still a shakin!)

Thanks again!!

I would start with XDA Developer forums.  This is a good thread for reading about root access:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581577

Could there be a warranty issue by getting root access?  Possibly.  If you completely bricked your phone then it's possible Sprint might use that as a reason to not assist you.  However imho if you have some tech experience and can follow directions then you should be fine, and Sprint definitely has some motivation to keep their current customers, so unless you are blatantly bricking phones...you should be fine (imho).  Just make a complete backup and read directions for comprehension and you should be ok.  I think the biggest mistake people make is not making a full backup (performing that step is in that forum I previously mentioned).

Android works a lot different then Windows or Mac when it comes to applications.  Anytime a program needs some code from another program it shows the other program as open.  For example, you might use your GPS and Sprint Navigation shows open (but you didn't explictly open Sprint Navigation...heck you may have specifically killed it earlier), but there is some code in the GPS app you are utilizing that needs the code in Sprint Navigation.  One of the biggest issues involves people killing the default SMS application even though they are using Handcent SMS.  If you do it, you'll lose SMS messages because Handcent SMS needs some code from the default Messages application. Task Killers have been responsible for a lot of heartache because people treat Android like Windows ... and it's not.  Having said all that, I use TaskPanel and love it.  :-)

You are getting vibrations on every notification?  Settings, Sound and Display, Phone Vibrate (unchecked) takes care of most of the default vibrate functions, but a lot of apps will have their own settings (such as handcent).

Hope that helps a little.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points