This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2009 11:22 AM by vita10gy RSS

Memory card(SD?)

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

What is it that I need, can someone give me a link to maybe a good memory card I can use.

Like it's a microSD card or something?

• 1. Re: Memory card(SD?)

These cards will work.  You may be able to find them or similar cards somewhere else.

Cheep, but good card:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-microSDHC-Memory-TS8GUSDHC6/dp/B001IAMME8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1260420806&sr=8-1-fkmr0

More expensive, but still good and twice the space:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-TS16GUSDHC6E-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B0026L7DGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260420909&sr=1-5

Really there are three keys to picking out a good microSDHC card.  The first is to look at the class on the card.  This says how fast you can write data to the card.  Class 2 cards are slower than the Class 4 cards which are slower than the Class 6 cards.  A slower memory card can sometimes cause lag in applications that write to the card a lot.  The second is to try to get the biggest card you can get for the amount of money you are willing to spend.  16GB is as high as microSDHC cards go currently (right now there are some 32GB cards on the Internet; my understanding is that these are fake or not microSDHC, I could be wrong though).  The third is to make sure you do a little research and make sure that the card isn't going to be dead on arival (High customer ratings are usually an alright way to gage this).

• 2. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    Regular Visitor

thanks a lot man appreciate it!

• 3. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    Regular Visitor

I bought an 8 gb microSD card on black friday for 14.99.  It's only a "2" on the IO speed, but it seems to bring up the pictures and access music much faster than the original 2 gb card the Hero came with so I'm happy with it.

Since I can't put Apps on the SD card yet, I was going for biggest bang for the buck.  I've now got 5 gb of music and plenty of leftover room for pictures.

Once I can put apps on the SD card or I notice things slowing down when accessing the card, I'll upgrade.

• 4. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    n01un0 Regular Visitor

I just bought and put in the 16gb Sandisk from Newegg.com which was around 40 bucks.  Works great.  Save yourself the money and stick with class 2 rather than paying for class 4 or 6 if the only thing you are really going to use it for is music or pictures.  Going with the higher class will not do anything for these two items other than cost more money.  The only advantage is transferring the files to the phone.  With the higher class, it will write them to the phone faster but not do anything in terms of playing your tunes any better or faster.  I transferred 2000 songs to the card (class 2) and it only took about 10 mins, so it's not that bad and everything plays perfectly with no lag when switching (swiping) between songs on playlists.

• 5. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    vita10gy Expert

I've read class makes little difference no matter what you do, because the Hero is the limiting factor in the I/O speeds, and can only write at around class 2 speeds no matter what you have. Not sure if that's true though, but someone must be able to get that data.

• 6. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    Regular Visitor

Nah thats true...the hero can only operate @ class 2 speeds according to htc.

New Response From [ Elaine (North America Support (Tech)) ]Thank you for contacting HTC!

"The hero can only read/write up to class 2 speeds. I hope I have addressed your concern fully."

Also confirmed in the htc hero wiki @ www.htcwiki.com.

I bought a Sandisk 16gb class 2 off of amazon...works great!!!

• 7. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    Regular Visitor

The Hero can only write at class 2 speeds, but there's still a valid reason to buy a faster card if you can find a good deal: Your next phone might write at faster speeds.

Pete (forever thinkin' ahead)

• 8. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    vita10gy Expert

PGR wrote:

The Hero can only write at class 2 speeds, but there's still a valid reason to buy a faster card if you can find a good deal: Your next phone might write at faster speeds.

Pete (forever thinkin' ahead)

Right, and by that time we'll be onto 64 gb class 12 cards and the 16gb class 6 you paid $30 extra for over the class 2 will cost $5 on ebay. (Assuming your next phone used microSD at all.) The price of these memory cards crashes down, and the industry changes, so fast you should almost always just buy what you need right now.

• 9. Re: Memory card(SD?)

I bought a 4GB Class 6 card, and it has certainly made a difference to the speed of the phone.

• 10. Re: Memory card(SD?)
    vita10gy Expert

Probably just the placebo effect, though the extra space could mean the files don't fragment as fast and all that jazz.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...