This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 2:48 AM by HEXAPUS RSS

Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

Currently Being Moderated

First of all I'm not a newbie or a novice user. I in fact run a Sprint Service Center & have over 20 years of computer experience. So far these are the problems that I have seen first hand on my Moment.

1.) Camera button is pretty much USELESS! I have to press it over & over for it to work.

2.) An option to remove the "Press Menu Button" from sleep mode. I have it password protected, So I need to waste time, pressing menu & then the password.

3.) Me dialing other people or going into speaker phone while on a call, do to the fact that the display is not turning off while on a call!

4.) Apps just crash, no reason. Execute again it it works.

5.) Android was designed for simple users. Is it possible to have a contact app that WORKS!!!! The stupid thing sorts contacts by name & not company and name. So if I have the name Bill on 3 contacts, but each one is a different company. It displays just Bill & I have to go into each contact to see what company I need. I can't even do a proper search, it still won't find the company I want to look for! This is a big problem. So, business users beware. Don't even bother.

6.) Even though it has a 800Mhz processor, it does lag at times.

7.) Battery time needs improving, though better than the Pre I had & by far not getting as hot.

8.) The browser needs improving, though you can download other browsers.

9.) Email app needs improving. It tends to lockup or not checking email at times. I have it checking 5 email accounts.

10.) I know that this has been mentioned in a couple of threads, but it does not like to connect to my Airave at times? Go figure, both made by Samsung. My Blackberry Curve, Tour, & HTC Touch Diamond Pro have had no issues connecting & staying connected. 

If you have had similar or other issues, please post. Not addressing these issues will not get fixed.

Thanks,

CJ

• 1. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Valued Member

I am with you for all but #3. My screen turns off when I put it up to my face. You might have a broken proximity sensor.

Several people on this forum (including myself) have mentioned all of these issues before, and Sprint representatives have acknowledged that they are now aware of the issues. The tricky part here is that they are "working on solutions" but at the same time say Samsung is responsible for updates, so I don't know what they could be working on... and there are very few avenues through which to contact Samsung and get any appreciable response.

• 2. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Regular Visitor

I dont have any of these problems insept for very slight lag very rarely

• 3. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

The biggest problem I seem to be hving is a location issue. Last I checked, I'm in Virginia, not India. Depsite what Google Maps may think.

• 4. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

When my wife and I were shopping for a phone the Moment had every feature that we wanted; however, we're beginning to get discouraged as we continue to be suprised by glitches in just about every feature. With both phones we have had:

1. Them switch to Airplane mode without warning. The only way to get out of Airplane mode is to remove the battery.

2. My phone will not go to sleep when the red button is pressed.

3. The only place to get good reception is within 50 feet of any Sprint store -so most of the niffty apps don't work. No GPS coordinates for Navigation, etc. I have been successful in getting Pandora to work in 15 minute intervals. The connection degrades with amazing predictability...

4. If the camera button works, there is often a long delay between the button press and the picture being taken. Forget about taking pictures of kids.

5. I've selected Auto-rotation from the setting menu, but I think that it's there to make me wish I had an iPhone

6. Ware ye the widgets! On occasion, the phone will crash - and reboot when attempting to add a photo or other app.

sigh...

• 5. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Regular Visitor

You both need to exchange your phones ASAP I've owned the moment since Nov 2nd and my mom got 1 about a week ago(around Jan 5th) because she liked mine so much & neither 1 of us have had any of the problems you have had not 1.  When any phone is mass produced a couple bad ones are going to get passed quality control I've owned numerous smart phones over the years and it happens with all of them no matter what manufacture or provider it just happens on occasion.

Message was edited by: njbianco

• 6. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

MercyPoetic wrote:

The biggest problem I seem to be hving is a location issue. Last I checked, I'm in Virginia, not India. Depsite what Google Maps may think.

I think the reason why it is not showing you right location seems to happen when you have wireless network enable.

On My Samsung Moment right now it shows my location to be at Tallinn, Estonia and when my sprint airave is turn on the location changes to Serangoon,Singapore

To see the right location just keep wireless network turn off and enable Gps satellites. Sprint should have that problem fixed soon.

• 7. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Regular Visitor

At this point saying a fix will be out soon is pure speculation.  They say a software release of 2.1 will be first half of 2010. Until an actual Admin states that the update will happen next week take soon with a grain of salt.  I'm sorry to be kinda negative but we all have to use the facts that are provided via Sprint's Admin. 

The way I look at it is Samsung is the evil wizard behind the curtain. One day after a long walk (5 or 6 months) we will get a heart (battery life), some courage (Airplane mode fix), a brain (Proper Drivers) and take us home (aGPS).  If we are lucky Toto one day will get Android 2.1.  I will not click my ruby red slippers.. I mean just look at my user picture! 

But in all reality this is where we are at.

• 8. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

superdaveo wrote:

At this point saying a fix will be out soon is pure speculation.  They say a software release of 2.1 will be first half of 2010. Until an actual Admin states that the update will happen next week take soon with a grain of salt.  I'm sorry to be kinda negative but we all have to use the facts that are provided via Sprint's Admin.

The way I look at it is Samsung is the evil wizard behind the curtain. One day after a long walk (5 or 6 months) we will get a heart (battery life), some courage (Airplane mode fix), a brain (Proper Drivers) and take us home (aGPS).  If we are lucky Toto one day will get Android 2.1.  I will not click my ruby red slippers.. I mean just look at my user picture! 

But in all reality this is where we are at.

I really do think these problems will be fixed soon. check my user picture out

• 9. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Regular Visitor

Glad to see you (grim reaper) will step in if the update or Android 2.1 is 3 months away! I would like to see the blade in action! lol 

Good luck!

• 10. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Sprint Employee

Samsung has "accidentally" released a maitenance update for this phone, CL14.  They then pulled it back because it was bricking users devices.  That said, the avid android community has picked apart the accidental release, repackaged, flashed, and tested themselves.  There are many resources out there on the web that go into detail about what features appear to be fixed....try over at sdx-developers.com for info overload.

We should see a maitenance release "proper" before 2.1 based on the fact it's already packaged and in the wild.

• 11. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    marytracy Regular Visitor

Love the phone - hate the bugs!!!  I too (and many other have reported same issue) mute and speaker phone almost every call I am on!!!  I hate talking on this phone.  This needs to be corrected, and unfortunatly there is nothing in the android market to improve this issue - Hero has some apps, none for moment.  Please fix, I am so sick of getting hung up on because I accidently muted the call.

• 12. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

I have had this phone for 2 months and I have been back to the store with it three times already and I have to go back again today.

It seems to just lock up and then shut off.

I downloaded Task Killer because the first time this happpend the tech at the store told me it was possible it was running too many apps.

It happened again last night. I take out the battery and put back in and it will still not turn back on. Battery was 3/4 charged.

We took the battery out and played with the contacts and it turned back on.

Then it happened again this morning and I still can not get it back on.

I am very dissapointed in this phone.

It is my only phone and I need something more reliable.

• 13. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!
    Sprint Employee

@kbmackey - has your phone been replaced at the store?  I would assume your issue might be related to a defective phone, should be adressed under warranty.

• 14. Re: Samsung Moment Glitches & Bugs!

I do find it very strange that anytime i enable wireless network under Security & Location it always mess up location that i see on google maps and Weather bug elite.

also if you have wi-fi enable at same time you have wireless network then it will use the wi-fi and not cell phone tower and location will be correct.

Locates that appear are 1.Serangoon, Singapore 2.Tallinn, Estonia 3.Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Why would that happen?

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...