This discussion is archived
1 2 3 17 Previous Next 243 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2010 10:29 AM by ClaudiPo RSS

Text Messaging history.

LEWISGREENE Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone please tell me why Sprint will not provide a text msg. history to an account holder without a court order? I don't want text msg. detail, just to and from numbers, dates and times. I can understand privacy issues with the actual conversations, but why not just the numbers?

• 1. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Gold Expert

I was under the impression that the account holder COULD request such a service from any fo the phone companies, BUT getting the paperwork would be one costly endeavor since it won't be cheap to print/copy, let alone ship, such a list. But hey, if you want it, contact some exec at Sprint.

• 2. Re: Text Messaging history.

I have tried through the normal channels with customer service. I keep getting the same answer. It is not available without a court order. Can you or anyone else suggest a contact person that may help me. I don't even need a complete history of every phone on my account. Just on one phone for the past 20-30 days or even 12-15 days if that's all that's available.

• 3. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Expert

This is required due to FCC regulations. Pursuant to recent changes in the protection of customer privacy with respect to telecommunications data, Sprint will no longer provide certain information not disclosed on a customer bill without a valid legal demand. This includes stored communications such as text messages. I do understand that you would like to have a copy of the numbers that you have sent and received messages to and from, however we are just not able to print out that information without a legal demand.

Sprint does apologize for any inconvenienc but takes seriously to our commitment to your privacy.

• 4. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Gold Expert

BnicS1 wrote:

This is required due to FCC regulations. Pursuant to recent changes in the protection of customer privacy with respect to telecommunications data, Sprint will no longer provide certain information not disclosed on a customer bill without a valid legal demand. This includes stored communications such as text messages. I do understand that you would like to havea copy of the numbers that you have sent and received messages to and from, however we are just not able to print out that information without a legal demand.

Sprint does apologize for any inconvenienc but takes seriously to our commitment to your privacy.

What privacy is Sprint trying to uphold here? Their own?!?

Simply put, the ACCOUNT HOLDER is requesting information about HIS OWN ACCOUNT! As such, FCC regulations no longer apply. It would be like saying a home owner needs to have a court order in order to view the details of his home owner's insurance. Just a bunch of BS. In California, customers sued Sprint (and Nextel...this was all pre-merger) with regards to detailed billing: they won because SprintNextel now must provide some method to obtain detailed billing for each and every account holder. Nextel ended up settling out of court and said that all account holders can obtain a copy of their detailed billing statement for any of the most recent 12 months. No computer and/or internet connection? The court decided that given the plethora of free public internet access (e.g., at public libraries), that Nextel met the demands...yadda yadda yadda.

The point, the same could be done with text messages and PTT calls. So, my advice? Here's what I would advise (though I'm not trying in any way to imply that I'm legal counsel nor that I'm an expert in US law):

1. Call up your local government representative (e.g., your State's House rep) and ask them to verify what info companies like Sprint must provide to their account holders.

2. Check with a local attorney to see what would be necessary to obtain said info from Sprint...if truly a court order is necessary, then start your legal application for such.

3. Let us know what the end result is.

• 5. Re: Text Messaging history.

Don't I have a right to know exactly what I'm paying for? I'm not asking for information on anyone else's account but my own. I have a friend that has an account with Alltel and he just this minute called and asked for a copy of text message history for his account and was told that it would have to be mailed to the address listed on the account but otherwise, no problem. There was no mention of FCC regulations or privacy issues. Is Sprint the only provider the FCC regulates?

• 6. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Expert

quasijedi wrote:

What privacy is Sprint trying to uphold here? Their own?!?

Simply put, the ACCOUNT HOLDER is requesting information about HIS OWN ACCOUNT! As such, FCC regulations no longer apply. It would be like saying a home owner needs to have a court order in order to view the details of his home owner's insurance. Just a bunch of BS. In California, customers sued Sprint (and Nextel...this was all pre-merger) with regards to detailed billing: they won because SprintNextel now must provide some method to obtain detailed billing for each and every account holder. Nextel ended up settling out of court and said that all account holders can obtain a copy of their detailed billing statement for any of the most recent 12 months. No computer and/or internet connection? The court decided that given the plethora of free public internet access (e.g., at public libraries), that Nextel met the demands...yadda yadda yadda.

Nextel only ever provided access to the inbox and sent items history that was also viewable on the phone itself. Nextel never provided a detail of the numbers the messages were sent to or received from. This was done via nextel.com, all it required was the PTN and SIM ID to complete that registration. This also caused numerous headaches forcustomers andus agents as we woulddeal with information thatwas being essentially stolen because someone registered on the site withthe customersPTN and SIM.

I do wish there was a way for an agent such as myself to provide this detailvia mail or direction on sprint.com to access the information.

I think this an absurb issue to deal with, yet I do. Frequently.

• 7. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Sprint Employee

quasijedi asked: "What privacy is Sprint trying to uphold here? Their own?!?"

No. Sprint is trying to uphold the privacy of it's customers. If there was information via text that was only for you and the person that's texting that would show on the bill, and say...your neighbor or someone who lived with you would be able to see that on your bill that is information they could use against you and/or could cause a lot of problems that WE would be blamed for.

Granted most of these would be domestic issues where one person is cheating on the other, however we do have people that use our services for business related issues and often times send information (meetings, proprietary info, etc) via text. Including this info to be see on a bill...a bill that can be opened and seen by others, can be dug out of the trash by those who steal identities, and etc is a gross violation of trust between us and the consumer.

I don't think I can break it down further than that.

If anyone wants to keep their text messages for their records fwd each of them to your own e-mail address if you'd like. I always recomend this to those who are having issues with someone that could lead to possible legal proceedings needing to be done (divorce, custody, threats on that person's life, etc).

...anyway...

• 8. Re: Text Messaging history.

Mr IndustrialPants wrote:

quasijedi asked: "What privacy is Sprint trying to uphold here? Their own?!?"
    Granted most of these would be domestic issues where one person is cheating on the other, however we do have people that use our services for business related issues and often times send information (meetings, proprietary info, etc) via text. Including this info to be see on a bill...a bill that can be opened and seen by others, can be dug out of the trash by those who steal identities, and etc is a gross violation of trust between us and the consumer.

Wouldn't that same theory apply to phone calls also? The phone numbers are shown for incoming and outgoing on my bill but there is no transcript of the actual conversation. All I'm asking is why cant I get the same info for texting? Why would it be a violation of anyone's privacy to see a list of incoming and outgoing numbers for texting?

• 9. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Expert

I know ATT provides a list of incoming/outgoing text numbers...this happens to my dad's account, and since my sister has an unlimited plan, the bill is sometimes upwards of 50 pages...

• 10. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Sprint Employee

budgreene asked: "Wouldn't that same theory apply to phone calls also? The phone numbers are shown for incoming and outgoing on my bill but there is no transcript of the actual conversation. All I'm asking is why cant I get the same info for texting? Why would it be a violation of anyone's privacy to see a list of incoming and outgoing numbers for texting?"

Because the phone call list only shows the number called, the time the call happened, and the length of the call. It does not show any part of the conversation.

I'm sorry that the text details are not showing on the bill. I'm sorry we don't have a way to do this.

Outside of breaking it down to what I posted I can't think of anything else to add to it. I did not post that speaking as Sprint, I posted it speaking as me from my point of view as a fellow consumer.

shrugs

• 11. Re: Text Messaging history.

Because the phone call list only shows the number called, the time the call happened, and the length of the call. It does not show any part of the conversation.

I'm sorry that the text details are not showing on the bill. I'm sorry we don't have a way to do this.

Outside of breaking it down to what I posted I can't think of anything else to add to it. I did not post that speaking as Sprint, I posted it speaking as me from my point of view as a fellow consumer.

shrugs

• 12. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Regular Visitor

T Mobile did the same... full history of evey text.  Wish I could see mine right now.  ****, six Sprint employees can't even see it to tell me why some of my phones are sending messages from Austria.

• 13. Re: Text Messaging history.
    Regular Visitor

" If there was information via text that was only for you and the person that's texting that would show on the bill, and say...your neighbor or someone who lived with you would be able to see that on your bill that is information they could use against you and/or could cause a lot of problems that WE would be blamed for."

That's like saying that Tiger Woods' phone company is to blame for his indiscresions because he called the girls on the phone.

Duh.

• 14. Re: Text Messaging history.

Funny as it sounds I don't think they do it do protect YOUR account.  I've been told it's a "privacy" issue...protecting the OTHER person.  It's like when you lose your phone (or it's stolen) and you call to have the last phone number called from your phone, they can provide you with the time of the call but the can't provide the phone number because of privacy.  If it's that private, why can you get the phone number online (you just have to wait a couple of hours for it to register)?  So the question I have is, why can Sprint give a detailed call log of every incoming and outgoing number made to/from your phone but not log of text messages?  I don't think anybody is asking for the conversation and who would expect that anyway?  There's not a difference and it has nothing to do about privacy...I think it has to do with the cost and Sprint doesn't want to deal with that additional cost. It's much cheaper for them to say "provide a sobpoena and we can provide you with that info".

1 2 3 17 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...