Currently Being Moderated

is any voice plan with no roaming and long distance to and calling from canada

if i add international calling in SE plan is that gona work

i ask 3 - 4 diff peoplesin customer service but everybody have diff answer

• 1. Re: international calling
    Gold Expert

jmg wrote:

is any voice plan with no roaming and long distance to and calling from canada

if i add international calling in SE plan is that gona work

i ask 3 - 4 diff peoplesin customer service but everybody have diff answer

jmg, the way I understand it is this way...

You first have to inform Nextel that you want to be allowed to place international calls. Once you do that, then you have an option. If you are seldomly going to place calls to/from Canada, then just simply do your normal dialing and try to keep your international cellular usage to a minimum. So far, calls placed from the US (via your cell phone) to anyone in Canada is billed at a rate of $0.59/minute. However, if you plan on placing many calls to/from Canada, then opting to add an International Calling discount plan (I think it's like $5/month) will give you some decent discounts for calls to Canada, Mexico and a few other places (but they won't be free...just discounted). For example, calls from the US to Canada would drop from that $0.59/minute to $0.09/minute. Nice drop, but still a bit pricey. For more information on that, check out Rates from the US.

Now, given that the SE plan allows for unlimited roaming, LD, and voice, you won't be racking those up at all. However, if you're in Canada, international roaming and LD will become factors. So again, keep your time while on the phone across the border to a bare minimum.

Essentially though, regardless of your current rate plan, you will probably want to go to the company's website regarding international roaming: International Link

Hopefully, that will help.

Oh...and if you ever find yourself on one of the selected cruise ships as designated by Nextel (and you've got a Nextel i920/i930 on you, or you have your Nextel SIM card and plug it into a GSM phone), calls from your phone would be $2.49/minute regardless of where your cruise ship is located (though odds are, it'll be somewhere in the Carribean). Just some additional useless info.

• 2. Re: international calling
    Regular Visitor

It will be cheaper to buy a calling card from a store or online and make the calls. Sprint will shock younot only with a high rate per min of calls, but they will also bump up their surcharges which can be very high. I once got shocked with a surcharge of 45 bucks and they said it's because of international calling. Sprint is a sham...... I nean for God's shake man, how can they charge you more than government mandated taxes?

• 3. Re: international calling
    Expert

Also no Sprint international plan will reduce your rate calling FROM a foriegn country. Calls from Canada will be charge an international connect fee, as well as a per minute fee that will be double because they will charge you up and down (transmitting and recieving) so double minutes. It can get very expensive.

There are a lot of other, more fiscally sound, solutions. Using international calling cards, SKYPE, or even a cheap Canadian pre-paid cell would likely be a substantial savings.

Good Luck!

• 4. Re: international calling

I contacted Sprint several times about a free plan for Canada, since my whole family and all my friends live there, but they said it's impossible.  My sister is with Verizon and they have a rate for Canada with no extra cost per minute, Metro PCS has a $5 plan for other countries.  Since I'm still under contract for another year I decided to buy a calling card over the internet and use it on my cell and talk with everyone in Canada.  If I purchase a $10 card it could last me over 2 months, also I make sure I call after 7pm so I don't use my minutes.  I just hope Sprint will do something for us Canadians leaving in the US soon.

• 5. Re: international calling
    Rwalford Expert

Sprint International Long Distance - $4.99 Per Month - Drops the per minute rate of $0.20 to $0.09 for calls made in the USA to Canada.

Sprint Canada Roaming Add-On - $2.99 Per Month - Drops the per minute roaming rate from $0.59 per minute to $0.20 per minute to make and receive local Canadian, long distance Canadian, and long distance calls to and from the USA while roaming in Canda.

Sprint does not offer an "inclusive" Canada plan.

• 6. Re: international calling
    justendealtest Newbie

Before the merger, Nextel did not bill for voice or data roaming (on Mike) in Canada.  For Nextel devices, data roaming in Canada continues to be free of charge.  For Nextel devices, voice roaming in Canada is now billed at the $0.59 per minute rate.  For Nextel devices, simple long distance dialing to Canada from the United States is billed at $0.49 per minute.

Those rates are the same for Sprint devices, except data, which does not fall under the free roaming mentioned above.  Instead, the rate is $0.002 per kilobyte.

For Sprint and Nextel devices, you can reduce your voice roaming charge to $0.20 per minute with the $2.99 Canada Roaming Option.  For Sprint and Nextel devices, you can reduce your long distance charge to $0.09 per minute with the $4.00 Sprint International Long Distance Plan.  As I said, Nextel devices do not currently pay for data roaming in Canada, but for Sprint devices you can eliminate the per kilobyte roaming rate with the $40 Data Worldwide option.

For several years, Sprint had an additional $15 option that used your normal plan minutes for both long distance to and from as well as roaming in Canada.  This was generally only available to corporate liable accounts.  The option became largely unavailable in 2008 and is no longer compatible with current rate plans.

Hope that clarifies.

• 7. Re: international calling

I understand the 0.09 a minute, but they do add up.  Will Sprint ever get a fix Canada plan?  That's all I want.

• 8. Re: international calling
    justendealtest Newbie

AT&T just recently reintroduced a plan that includes Canadian roaming.  Verizon has had such a plan for years (so did Alltel).  Verizon remains the best bet for frequent business travelers to Canada given that their Nationwide Plus Canada plans can be paired with an unlimited data plan that includes Canada (and the rest of the world) for $65.  AT&T still does not have any unlimited international data plans for smartphones.

It would be wise for Sprint to compete with Verizon on this front, but given how out of touch they have been with their business customers (or all of their customers for that matter), I won't hold my breath.

• 9. Re: international calling
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Sprint offers a Worldwide Data plan attachable, and has for a while now (Since at least July 2008 from what I can see). It includes unlimited data roaming around the world on both CDMA and GSM/GPRS (If your phone supports it).

It is $69.99 for older grandfathered plan structures. It replaces any other data plan attachable you currently have, and it does support Blackberries.

It is a $40 attachable for Everything Data/Simply Everything/Business Advantage with Messaging and Data plans.

• 10. Re: international calling
    justendealtest Newbie

Sure, but as you pointed out, data is only half of the equation.  Businesses don't want to have to deal with per minute charges for roaming in North America.  Verizon realizes that.  AT&T has realized that again (although they're still missing the data half of the equation).

In my experience, Nextel did not charge for voice roaming in Canada until after the merger, and they still don't charge for iDEN data roaming.

Considering Sprint is bleeding customers, it would just seem to be smart of them to look at what AT&T and Verizon are doing and reintroduce some option for their clients.  Like I said, though, I'm not holding my breath.

• 11. Re: international calling
    Gold Expert

justen wrote:

In my experience, Nextel did not charge for voice roaming in Canada until after the merger, and they still don't charge for iDEN data roaming.

Considering Sprint is bleeding customers, it would just seem to be smart of them to look at what AT&T and Verizon are doing and reintroduce some option for their clients.  Like I said, though, I'm not holding my breath.

Actually, interesting note here.  I was in Canada and did place some voice calls, PTT calls, and checked websites on my i90c (yes, that ancient brick of a flip phone) back in early December, 2009.  Got my bill for Nov-Dec and get this...

1. I was NOT billed for any international roaming data charges (nothing new there).

2. I was NOT billed for any international roaming INCOMING calls.

3. I WAS billed for calls that I placed while in Canada at the international rate.

4. My PTT calls were NOT billed for, even though I do NOT have International PTT (NICE! )

So...that's just me for that month.  Go figure.  Keep in mind, I do have a Free Incoming Plus rate plan, so all my incoming calls are free (apparently even when in other countries) as is my mobile web roaming use. Who know?

Oh, and for those of us that HATE to be charged anything for international calls, shoot me a private message.  I have a way (legally of course) to use your free night & weekend minutes so that you can call pretty much anyone internationally for free.   And I use this method daily, so I can tell you how hard (or, in this case, easy) doing so is/can be.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...