This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2010 3:22 PM by bootsonsunday1 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    howardat Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

Sorry you are not happy with your phone.  My personal opinion is that this is the best smartphone on the market with a slideout keyboard.  The two things that cause me the most problems have just had a fix released by Sprint (CL14 update), which fixes the battery issue and assisted/network-based GPS issue.

Here is more information on the CL14 update:  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Moment/case-wh164052-20091112-160130?&INTNAV=SU:DP:HDIA&INTNAV=MU:MU:20090620:CheckForSoftwareUpdates:RDIWT

Also, here are more detailed instructions on how to setup Yahoo email.  And it won't work with wifi enabled:

This is using the stock email widget on the home screen.

Enter your yahoo email: blahblahblah@yahoo.com
    Enter Password
    Then press Manual setup
    Next Select IMAP account
    enter user name: blahblahblah
    Password (it should be filled out already)

IMAP server settings:
    imap.mail.yahoo.com
    port - 143 (this might be different on yours)
    Press Next.

SMTP server settings:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    port   - 25

• 16. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    VorlessDarkChaos Silver Expert

hcamn wrote:

Sorry you are not happy with your phone.  My personal opinion is that this is the best smartphone on the market with a slideout keyboard.  The two things that cause me the most problems have just had a fix released by Sprint (CL14 update), which fixes the battery issue and assisted/network-based GPS issue.

Here is more information on the CL14 update:  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Moment/case-wh164052-20091112-160130?&INTNAV=SU:DP:HDIA&INTNAV=MU:MU:20090620:CheckForSoftwareUpdates:RDIWT

Also, here are more detailed instructions on how to setup Yahoo email.  And it won't work with wifi enabled:

Enter Password
    Then press Manual setup
    Next Select IMAP account

IMAP server settings:
    imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Press Next.

SMTP server settings:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    port   - 25

When you do it manual you only have to do incoming settings

Security type you have to pick is TLS(if available) because that is only one that will work.

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

• 17. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    Regular Visitor

Thanks, but as I have said, those IMAP settings don't work and neither does TLS although as I said before some people said I had to have SSL... You see my point ? 

Also the YAHOO thing does not explain why AOL, JUNO, or MSN do not work either. (With WiFi turned off) I even tried the Palm settings that one guys insisted works.

Oh I do however have other lesser known WEBMAIL accounts other than GMAIL that do work.

As far as the CL14 update I  haven't had a problem with any function of the GPS and it's a wait and see on the battery issue.

and like I said so far it's  been an issue on TWO brand new phones, which doesn't overly impress me either.

There are other issues as well anyway, the real lack of a speed dial.  The customization that just isn't there.  (moving one shortcut from one screen to another, adding one or removing one isn't what I call customizaion and only being able to use one wallpaper at a time just doesn't cut it)

My initial trouble with the SD card. (had to replace the 2gb one that came with it right out of the box)

SAMSUNG says this phone uses a 16gb SD card.  SPRINT says a 32gb. (but they don't sell anything over 16gb for the phone..hmmm)

HAS anybody been able to find or insert an SD card bigger that 16gb in this phone ?

and dont get me started on the keyboard that you can't see  the top row if you aren't in a very well lit area.  LOL

or the Virtual keyboard on the phone where my finger covers up 3 letters and  the lack of a stylus.

or the android app games that you download that don't tell you they need a stylus until after you have downloaded and tried them.

But Thanks anyway.

• 18. Re: Yahoo e-mail

I have a Yahoo! mail account, but my username suffix is @prodigy.net, not @yahoo.com.  When I enter the prodigy suffix to my username, I get a message that I can't connect to outgoing server because of an incorrect username or password.  When I enter the yahoo.com suffix I immediately get a can't connect to server message.  What am I doing wrong?  Should I go back to the store for help?  This is a new phone and I don't believe I have wi-fi turned on yet.  Thanks.

• 19. Re: Yahoo e-mail

I have a palm Pre, and about 2 hours ago, my phone warned me that it needed to be shut down and data was going to be restored from back up. The problem is that when it finally finished, I could no longer connect to my yahoo mail.  I had not had a problem since the software update, but now after trying every possible setting, I can not get it to work.  Is anyone experiencing the same problem?.

• 20. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    howardat Valued Member

I just was at Sprint and got my Moment updated to CL14.  They handed my a sheet explaining how to setup Yahoo mail, which states the following:

Setting-up Yahoo E-Mail on Android Phones

1. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off

2. Press the E-Mail icon (the default Android E-Mail application)

3. Enter your Yahoo E-Mail address and password

4. Press "Manual Setup" in the lower left hand corner

5. For "Incoming Server Settings" set the IMAP server to "imap.mail.yahoo.com" and the Port to 143

6. For "Outgoing Server Settings" set the SMTP Server to "smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com" and the Port to 587  **

7. Check "Require sign-in" and press Next

8. Select how often your [phone] will check for Email, and choose default options

9. Give the account a name and set your display name for outgoing messages

10. Press Done twice

Save it

** I have also had personal success using the following settings for step 6. For "Outgoing Server Settings" set the SMTP Server to "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" and the Port to 25

My Yahoo email works fine on my Moment, as long as I don't try to access it with Wi-Fi turned on.  Good luck.

• 21. Re: Yahoo e-mail

Dis finally works.. everybody else's wuz FALSE... good lookin on dat!

• 22. Re: Yahoo e-mail

Here's my sort of weird email experience.  I had no luck following all the helpful suggestions from everyone here.  Whatever I did, I got the message that I couldn't connect to my network/server, whatever.  Plus, I never got to the "outgoing SMPT" screen.  I gave up, thinking I'd go back to the Sprint store and have someone there enable my Yahoo email account.  Then, one morning I turned the phone on and lo and behold, there is my Yahoo account, email and all.  I have no idea what made it appear, but if someone does, I'd love to know.  Thanks!!

• 23. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    Regular Visitor

VorlessDarkChaos wrote:

hcamn wrote:

Enter Password
    Then press Manual setup
    Next Select IMAP account

IMAP server settings:
    imap.mail.yahoo.com
    Press Next.

SMTP server settings:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    port   - 25

When you do it manual you only have to do incoming settings

Security type you have to pick is TLS(if available) because that is only one that will work.

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

This way worked great for me.

• 24. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    geepers11 Newbie

It worked! It took a while to figure out. I had to turn off the WiFi. Thank you so much!

• 25. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    blancoa1 Newbie

I have the new HTC Evo and I have been breaking my head with my sbcglobal (same as yahoo) email account.   This worked great!  Turning off the WiFi is key to the set up.  Thanks

• 26. Re: Yahoo e-mail
    bootsonsunday1 Newbie

First you put in the IMAP information then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and there is a NEXT button.  Click NEXT and it will bring up the field for entering the SMTP information.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...