This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2010 2:53 PM by ThinkFast7 RSS

Update killing batteries

Currently Being Moderated

Every time for the last four days that I turn my phone on I get a message "The network is updating your phones settings press [End] to cancel."

It has the small working hourglass spinning and keeps this going for several hours untill my battery is drained and iut never finishes

any update and this is rendering my phone pretty useless. How long is an update supposed to take anyway and why is mine not getting done?

All together I have let this thing "Try" to update for about 18 hours now and nothing happens.

• 1. Re: Update killing batteries
    wingland Sprint Admin

Which phone?  Lotus?  Rant?

(dead phone either way, take it to a Sprint service and repair center for replacement)

• 2. Re: Update killing batteries

No, it's a KRZR K1m and the phone still operates flawlessly except for this problem.

• 3. Re: Update killing batteries
    wingland Sprint Admin

Oh - that one.  :-)

I moved the thread to the Motorola phone forum and will alert tech support about it.

• 4. Re: Update killing batteries

FYI.. My phone (RAZR2) has been doing this as well.  I charged it yesterday afternoon only to wake up at 3 AM to the dying battery bleeps.

The notification has a separate window underneath it that is mostly obscured, but indicates there is a new security certificate.  At the corners is an OK or Cancel, but I can't select either with the other window on top.

Please get this fixed!  I need my phone 100% available for work.

• 5. Re: Update killing batteries

Add me to the list.  My K1M is doing the same thing.  In the last couple of days it won't hold a charge for a full day (and I've got an extended life battery in it).  I keep getting the same "The network is updating your phones settings press [End] to cancel." message when I open my phone.  I keep having to hit "End" in order to even place a call.

• 6. Re: Update killing batteries

The problem went away for a while and I was back to my usual four days battery life when "BINGO" it happened again with a couple of days down time of five hour battery changes and never completed updates draning the batteries, I see a pattern developing and it's not encouraging.

• 7. Re: Update killing batteries

The same exact thing is happening to me on my RZR...only in addtion to that, I am not getting text messages for a day or two after friends or family send them. Please add me as well!

I really want a new phone....this one has been a battery-draining nightmare for the last 17 months I have had it!

~~~Jrob09

• 8. Re: Update killing batteries

Same thing going on with my RAZR V3m.  Almost didn't get up this morning b/c the "update" keeps alarms from working.  Sprint really needs to address this issue.

• 9. Re: Update killing batteries
    nick.ubrun Newbie

Add my RZR V3 to the list as well. Woke up late because the error prevented alarm from going off. I wasn't even able to go a full day making only 1 call on a battery.Sprint or motorola needs to fix this problem.

Message was edited by: nick.ubrun

• 10. Re: Update killing batteries

I called Sprint and they walked me through resetting the phone, which fixed the problem.  The number is 888-211-4727.

• 11. Re: Update killing batteries

You would think some tech would have posted that information here already, if there is a fix, how hard should it be for them to share it? Apparently, acording to the original responce I got to my first post, this was mentioned to tech support and they have chosen not to provide readily available support in regards to this matter.Thanks for the number, Sprint should be giving you a credit on your bill for compensation since you are doing thier jobs for them.

"Were you able to avoid calling customer care by using the online community to get the information or answer you needed?"

Essentially, No.

• 12. Re: Update killing batteries

All,

I think I found the solution.  I went to Tools->Online Backup and it prompted me to configure Data Services.  (I only have voice and text messaging on this phone.)  When I tried to access that menu, the same RSA Security certificate that was hiding in the background of the "Update.." message appeared.  This time I could select OK to download the certificate.

I can't say if this totally fixed the phone, because I got a replacement phone the next day.  Besides this particular problem, the RAZR2 has been a buggy nightmare and my company was all too aware of the problems with this device.  They replaced it with an LG LX370.

Good luck everyone.

• 13. Re: Update killing batteries

I won't know if the fix really works for a day or two, but here's what they had me do.

This applies specifically to the K1M (KRZR).

First check the software vesion on the phone (newest release is 24.2_00.48.04P).  To do this:

Menu > Settings > Phone Info > Version.

In my case, I was on the previous software version.  Next was to try updating the software.  The first try just hung, exactly like the message that keeps running down the batteries.  With the phone powered on, I removed the battery.  Waited a moment, then re-installed the battery and powered the phone back up.  Went strait into the update and it worked this time.

Menu > Settings > Phone Info > Update Phone SW

Like the previous post, this popped up a message about a previously used certificate.  I selected the option to remove it.  Then followed the prompts (yes or no questions mostly) to continue with updating the software.  The update completed.  Now I just have to wait and see whether this works or not.

One last tip, make certain your phone is freshly charged.  Otherwise the response to Update Phone SW can be that your battery is too weak to continue with the update.

Hopefully this helps.

• 14. Re: Update killing batteries

I just got two brand new SLVR L7Cs today and they both have this problem. I updated via motorola update, to no avail. I do not have internet on my actual phone and can not use it to connect. I really hope someone finds a definitive answer to this soon. This really sucks.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...