This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2010 9:36 PM by TK241 RSS

Coverage and Service In Wisconsin

Currently Being Moderated

i am currently with verizon wireless and there service sucks. i am thinking about switching to sprint because there are a few people in my area and they say they have no problems with service. i live in between la crosse and eau claire. i am just wondering if anybody else can tell me about sprints service cause u can never trust a sales man.

• 1. Re: Coverage and Service In Wisconsin
    TK241 Silver Expert

jercon51 wrote:

i am currently with verizon wireless and there service sucks. i am thinking about switching to sprint because there are a few people in my area and they say they have no problems with service. i live in between la crosse and eau claire. i am just wondering if anybody else can tell me about sprints service cause u can never trust a sales man.

Hey there, i too am from WI (the Wausau area...go badgers!! ), and i can tell ya from when i`ve traveled between here, eau claire, and the madison/la crosse area that service is really good (at least for me it is).  Only bug is when ya get somewhat north of the rice lake area, then coverage stops dead till ya reach Superior where it resumes.  As to the roamming coverage, that really depends on where you happen to be at at the time, in most areas it`s pretty good, up north it really stinks.  Ya should be aware that most of the coverage (on the Sprint net) is along the highways, but there`s a goodly bit of coverage off the beaten path, again depending on whereever you`re at.  The handset ya get will also have a hand in this too.  Good luck to ya, hope i`ve helped a bit.  N9NRA

• 2. Re: Coverage and Service In Wisconsin
    USERKV8031 Expert

N9NRA wrote:

jercon51 wrote:

Hey there, i too am from WI (the Wausau area...go badgers!! ), and i can tell ya from when i`ve traveled between here, eau claire, and the madison/la crosse area that service is really good (at least for me it is).  Only bug is when ya get somewhat north of the rice lake area, then coverage stops dead till ya reach Superior where it resumes.  As to the roamming coverage, that really depends on where you happen to be at at the time, in most areas it`s pretty good, up north it really stinks.  Ya should be aware that most of the coverage (on the Sprint net) is along the highways, but there`s a goodly bit of coverage off the beaten path, again depending on whereever you`re at.  The handset ya get will also have a hand in this too.  Good luck to ya, hope i`ve helped a bit.  N9NRA

Some new towers have gone online recently or are in the process of going up.  Service for me isn't too bad in WI until I go north of the Wausau area.  There are new towers going in across the state including Eau Claire and La Crosse area.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more towers going up in that area out away from the interstates in the future.  Try Sprint out with a new number then if you like it port your VZW number over to Sprint.

• 3. Re: Coverage and Service In Wisconsin
    TK241 Silver Expert

macuser09 wrote:

N9NRA wrote:

jercon51 wrote:

Some new towers have gone online recently or are in the process of going up.  Service for me isn't too bad in WI until I go north of the Wausau area.  There are new towers going in across the state including Eau Claire and La Crosse area.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more towers going up in that area out away from the interstates in the future.  Try Sprint out with a new number then if you like it port your VZW number over to Sprint.

Actually guys, i just had me a peek at the coverage map for the northwestern corner of Wisconsin, and to my pleasant suprise there`s a tower going up in the Bennett area between Solon Springs and Superior.  When this tower is eventually lit it will FINALLY fill that pesky hole up there between Solon (my hometown, where we NEED coverage REALLY BAD) and Superior, while the rest of State highway 53 south of there is still not on the map as to coverage, this is a really groovy start, and it does my heart no end of good to see the coverage FINALLY expanding in that area of this state, as it`s been long overdue IMHO .  If anyone can find out just when that tower will be lit, i would love to hear from that person via pm.  I`m looking forward to the day i can go north and at least have voice calling access, as the roamming coverage up there is totally AUFUL...trust me on this `un.  N9NRA

• 4. Re: Coverage and Service In Wisconsin
    USERKV8031 Expert

Someone probably put a new tower icon in the wrong spot.    Hopefully coverage expands a bit as it is pretty poor in northern WI. (not just Sprint)  Of course I visit the Crandon area on the other side of the state...Maybe someday Sprint will cover US 8.

Message was edited by: macuser09

• 5. Re: Coverage and Service In Wisconsin
    TK241 Silver Expert

macuser09 wrote:

Someone probably put a new tower icon in the wrong spot.    Hopefully coverage expands a bit as it is pretty poor in northern WI. (not just Sprint)  Of course I visit the Crandon area on the other side of the state...Maybe someday Sprint will cover US 8.

Message was edited by: macuser09

That`s what i thought when i first saw it, but when i was up there last, i noted some new panels up on the exixting tower in the Bennett area (AT&T is on top) and when i saw the "feuture towers" icon showing up on the map for that area i defenitely took notice.  I really hope the coverage improves up there too, we SORELY need it...roamming coverage up there positively STINKS, and my folks (who have AT&T) have frequent issues with coverage around their place.  Just to give ya a idea of how bad roamming is, the only places i could relaibly make/get calls while roamming were down by our private pond (standing right next to the water), and in the village of Solon down by Lake St.Croix (again, right near the water, at the town beach).  I don`t mind if i only have 1XRTT, i can even do without having NDC coverage up there, but having streight voice calling in an emergency would be totally nice (having EVDO and NDC as well would be a nice bonus though).  Given that my folks aren`t gettin` any younger, and if something were to happen to `em, ya can see just why i`d like to see voice coverage expanded up that way.  N9NRA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...