This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 11:53 AM by ErinKpgh RSS

Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?

Currently Being Moderated

I contacted Sprint customer service to find out how to adjust the number of rings or the time before a call routes to voicemail. I keep missing calls because I can't get to my phone fast enough, especially when I'm outside in the cold with gloves on and my phone is buried inside my coat. Sprint told me there is no way to adjust this. That just seems ludicrous to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?

what type of phone do you have?

• 2. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?

HTC Hero

• 3. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Customer Care

I apologize, CDMA phones are not able to have an type of ring time extension added, Nextel (IDEN) phones are capable however.

Different ringers and ringtones change the number of times the end-user hears a ring or the length of the ringtone before the call is forwarded to voicemail.

The time it takes for incoming calls to forward or go to voicemail is a total of 23 seconds, no matter which ringer is active. During the 23 seconds the end-user may hear a different number of rings based on active ringer. Changing the ringer type (single tones, standard tones, melodies, downloaded) can affect the number of rings the end-user hears before the call is forwarded. Hope this information explains more.

• 4. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Time-Lord Expert

Well HTC suggested that I have Sprint increase the number of rings before going to voice mail as a way around the ring lag problem which they blamed squarely on Sprint's network not their phone.

So which is it Sprint, HTC's phone or your network???

I'm running out of patience with this POS phone or is it Sprint's POS network????

If you'd like I'd be happy to post the response from HTC's technical support.

-TL

• 5. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    TheRealLineNoise Expert

I'm working through the same issues.

By the time I hit "Answer" or Swipe my Finger to answer a call, it's being forwarded to Voicemail.  It's so bad, I would bet that this is happening to me on 2 out of 3 calls.  It's really frustrating, but luckily I don't get too many calls anymore mainly from family.  If I were using this for work like I used too, I'd have to go back to my BlackBerry.

The Hero is data first, phone last.  It's like they went "Uh oh, we forgot the phone part!  Quick, throw something together!"

• 6. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Time-Lord Expert

according to Sprint and HTC they have never heard of this "Ring Lag" problem

SPRINT and HTC GET YOUR $*#&@#@ HEADS OUT OF THE SAND AND FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!

oh and HTC's response to the ring lag -

"I understand how frustrating it can be when a device does not function as expected,

and I will be happy to help in any way I can. Regarding the ring lag issue, this is
    not really something that is related to the device itself, but the carrier network
    the device is connected to. As soon as you place a phone call to a device, the line
    begins to ring as the phone company switches attempt to connect your phone to the
    number you are attempting to call. This can take a bit longer when calling a
    cellular device. In some situations, it can cause calls to be missed or to not ring
    very much because of how long it has taken the signal to get from the start point to
    the phone. The best way to combat this is to consult with your carrier about
    increasing the number of rings before a call is sent to voice mail.

Of course he completely ignored the fact that I said the phone lights up during the ringing phase without making a sound which means to me at least is that the phone was told a call has come in but the phone for some reason doesn't make a sound only flashes its lights.

So see Sprint the device is working properly... the problem is Sprint's network, or at least from the eyes of HTC...

What a crock, lets point fingers at the other company, guess who's stuck in the middle.

Maybe I should start a blog shaming Sprint and HTC on a daily basis for their poor track record in fixing critical problems with the phones they are selling... I could make a PR nightmare for them!  Who wants to be in on it?

-TL

• 7. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Expert

Time_Lord wrote:

Well HTC suggested that I have Sprint increase the number of rings before going to voice mail as a way around the ring lag problem which they blamed squarely on Sprint's network not their phone.

So which is it Sprint, HTC's phone or your network???

I'm running out of patience with this POS phone or is it Sprint's POS network????

If you'd like I'd be happy to post the response from HTC's technical support.

-TL

I have to say it "must" be the phone. I don't care what HTC says. I've had several Sprint phones and none of them had the 1 and a half rings then to voice mail issue. Including the POS Samsung Instinct.

With the g*dd*mn Hero the caller hears 4-5 rings before my phone even begins to let me know that I'm getting a call. No other phone that I've had has ever done that...on any carrier.

I have to add though, that for what ever reason, I'm now getting at least 3 rings, sometimes even 4 before it goes to voice mail. I have plenty of time to answer. Where as before, if I had the phone in my hand when it rang and my answer swipe didn't work the first time I didn't get a second chance to answer because it went straight to voice mail.

I did do a hard reset. That may have cleared what ever was causing the ring lag for me. Now if the f*cking dial lag would just magically go away too I'd be kind of happy with this phone.

• 8. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Valued Member

While this has not been a problem for me, I'd sugest reading this thread.  Seems to have helped some people a lot.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/19422-ringer-lag-rings-other-end-few-times-before-ringing-hero.html

Message was edited by: eyebeam   link didn't show

• 9. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Time-Lord Expert

That was a little tongue in cheek when I said that the phone didn't have the problems.

You ring lag will probably stay away for a few days since you reset it but it will come back, count on it.

oh the keyboard lag? I also asked HTC about it and amazingly they (HTC) aren't aware that customers are really having this problem but sorta acknologed that they have heard of the problem...

Regarding the keyboard lag issue, we have not received many, if any, reports of this
    directly from customers. One way to attempt to combat this particular issue is to
    try clearing the data on the keyboard of the device. To do this, press Home> Menu>
    Settings> Applications> Manage applications> Touch Input. Once in the management for
    Touch Input, tap the Clear data button and soft reset the phone. After that, test
    the keyboard and see if the lag issue persists.

SPRINT IT'S UP TO YOU TO GET THE FIXES OUT TO PEOPLE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO IGNORE THE PROBLEMS HOPPING THEY GO AWAY.... thankfully Sprint doesn't make accelerator pedals or brake systems on Hybrid cars...

• 10. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Time-Lord Expert

eyebeam wrote:

While this has not been a problem for me, I'd sugest reading this thread.  Seems to have helped some people a lot.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/19422-ringer-lag-rings-other-end-few-times-before-ringing-hero.html

Message was edited by: eyebeam   link didn't show

reading through the thread it appears to be a temporary fix as users state that it either didn't fix anything or the problem came back after a few days, probably because the phone resets itself in some way, much that same as power cycling the phone or performing a reset on the phone.

SO SPRINT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THE PROBLEM, IGNORE IT AND HOPE IT GOES AWAY???

-TL

• 11. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    TROYBOYTN1972 Bronze Expert

This is indeed a Hero problem, not Sprint. Even the Instinct didnt have this problem (surprising huh, concidering it had every other problem in the book).

• 12. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Time-Lord Expert

Hey Sprint are you going to acknowledge that there may be a problem before it really gets blown into a PR issue? I will do my best to make sure my comments are heard everywhere. Sites that review phones Google blogs you name it I'll post along with Sprint's inaction.

Sprint already has a bad reputation for poor customer service, I'll point out another example of it!

Message was edited by: Time_Lord - for typos

• 13. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Regular Visitor

I believe its the phone cause if u have the headphones on and playing music when some1 calls you the music stops and about 4 or 5 secs later the phone finally rings.  Resetting your phone only last so long.  I did that when I had the text messaging issue.   As far as the keyboard issue that has to be the phone as well, because it has to much going on @ 1 time.  Alot of the processes don't shut down and in if you have seen the 2.0 on the android web site the designed it so that its more optimized. Well that's how i see it. 

• 14. Re: Increase # of rings before call goes to voicemail?
    Regular Visitor

I read something that said that if u uncheck phone vibrate for incoming calls the ring lag stops, i have it on on mine never had this problem with my phone since November, but i guess you can try this out

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points