This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2010 10:56 PM by dm2010 RSS

Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been having this problem since I got the u300. (I have all updates current). It  seems to happen quite often. Here is my setup.

I have 2 ways in which i use this modem. One is from my laptop with the sprint software. The other is the u300 is plugged into my cradlepoint router.

The one with the router is usually where i can't browse. The router shows that the modem is connected and working. But when i try to browse i get nothing.

There is only 2 ways to get it to work. Unplug the router's power and plug it back in. The other is to disconnect and reconnect in the router's admin tool.

Then of course the problem goes away, but for not too long. There must be other people that are having this problem. One other thing, this happens on the laptop and my pc. I had Windows xp, and now I have Windows 7. I tried disabling my virus protection, and firewall with no success.This problem is still happening. Can anyone help me with this ? I would appreciate it if i could get this resolved.

• 1. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300
    Groovedaddy Expert

The first thing that I would check is the firmware the device is running.  This can be found inside the router config page under tools - firmware.  The latest should be 2.50.

If you are running 2.50 or you update and still have the issue, I would go into tools - admin and backup your settings using the "save configuration" button all the way at the bottom.  You can save this file any where you'd like.  Then under tools - system select "restore all settings to the factory defaults".  After the router reboots, you'll need to log in through the admin page using the last six of your MAC ID.  Wifi should have no security at this point.  Once inside the router config page, go into tools - admin and choose "restore configuration from file" and choose the file you saved earlier.  This should bring back all the settings, security, pwds that you set before.

See if the problem persists after that.

GD

• 2. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300
    Regular Visitor

Well, I followed your instructions and the problem is still occurring when using the cradlepoint router.

It doesn't seem to be happening when i use the laptop with the Sprint Software. Is there a way i can

share the connection from my laptop to my pc ? I tried and it won't let me, Why ?

• 3. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300
    Groovedaddy Expert

When this happens, are you seeing any indication of a problem from the wifi on the computer end.  If there's a loss in internet connection in win 7, there should be an indicator on the wifi network icon in the tray by the clock.  If it's not showing any signs of distress, I would then try a ping test.  If you hold the windows logo key on your keyboard down and press the R key, it should bring up a "run" window.  Type cmd in the blank and press enter.  At the command prompt type   ping google.com .  See if the request times out, or if it replies back.  If you get a "request timed out" response, the connection has indeed been severed.  If, however, you get a reply back, this would likely indicate a browser problem.  IE is a big offender when it comes to these kind of issues.  When this happens, have you tried any other programs that require data access (email, IMs, etc.)?

Although, I will admit that the chances of this happening across two computers is remote.  If it affects both at the same time, we would need to find a common factor between the two.  Here are some little things I would try...

1.  Use the extension cable when using the U300 with the router.  Wimax and Wifi signals are fairly close together and it can cause some interference when they're right next to each other.

2.  Try changing the WiFi channel on the router.  I know it suggests that you should use channels 1 or 2, but it all depends on the frequency of the Wimax Base Station you're using.  I've had good luck with channel 6.  It's possible that other wifi networks in the area could be causing some amount of interference.  The scope would depend on the proximity and the channel the interfering network was on.  You can switch the channel scan to auto in an attempt to find the clearest frequency.

How often does this issue happen?  Does there seem to be any correlation as to what time of day it is when it happens?

You should be able to setup connection sharing with the U300.  You would first need to go into tools - settings - hardware - check allow simutaneous connections in smartview.  You can then go into control panel - network and sharing center - click on "change adapter settings" on the far left - right-click on the wifi adapter - select "properties" - select the "sharing" tab - check enable ics

GD

• 4. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300
    Regular Visitor

Well, I have good news. I was able to share my Laptop with my home pc and it worked with no disconnects or browsing issues. Thanks for the help on the sharing feature in Smartview. I don't know how I missed that. Anyway, I was unsuccessful with the Cradlepoint Router as far as your tips. To answer some of your questions, When I can't browse, that's it. There is no way to reconnect from the pc end, I tried everything. As far as the interference of the modem, I use the usb cable, but it doesn't matter, I still have problems. I tried the different channels with no success. And to answer your last question, the problems seem to happen the most during the day time or when the weather is bad. I thought maybe it was just a signal

strength problem, but that isn't so because I have no problems now when using the laptop. I think there are still bugs in these routers that need to be fixed. I wonder how many people out there are having the same problems i am with these routers ? I got a lot of hits on my original question. Actually, they are really nice routers, except for the usb modem part.

For now I think I will stick with my laptop

Thanks  again.

• 5. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300

Is there a way to manually trigger the 4G authentification/profile update on the device?

• 6. Re: Troubleshoot if you are able to connect to the Internet but not able to browse any Web pages with your Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U300
    Regular Visitor

I do have one other question regarding sharing the connection with the U300 modem on my laptop. It seems when Smartview switches from 4G to 3G or visa versa, I can't connect on my pc end. For now i have it setup on the laptop to share the Wimax network adapter connection. But when I have to switch to 3g sometimes, the only way I can connect to 3G on my pc is to go back to the laptop and share the Mobile connection in "Network connections". Then when I want to go back to 4G, I have to switch sharing back to Wimax network adapter. So it looks like there are 2 different connections. How do I get both setup to share permanently ?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points