This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2010 12:49 PM by jrgarcia112 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    Currently Being Moderated

The CL14 update made no inhancment to the proximity sensor so that will not change the way it operates. It was mentioned in an earlier post that a screen protector was casuing the issue. Do you users having the issue have screen protectors on your device? Is it covering the proximity sensor? The fact that you've had two device and they both exhibit the same "failure" of the sensor leads me to think that it's more of user error than a defect in the device as there are many users not experiencing this "failure" including myself.

• 16. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    rsnelson0 Valued Member

I have not experienced this problem.  However, I just played around with the position of the phone and may have duplicated what you are seeing.

Normally, I hold the speaker (i.e. the part of the phone that says Sprint) very close to my ear.  The body of the phone is parallel to my face.  The display will turn on if the phone is rotated so the microphone (i.e. the part of the phone by the end button) is close to my mouth and the bottom of the phone is parallel to my chin.  This kicks the proximity sensor (i.e. the top part of the phone) away from any part of my face.  This is not at all a natural position for me but might be for you.

Have you tried to move the phone around to different positions to see how the screen reacts?  Give a good two seconds after each position to allow for the phone to react.  The two second delay is on purpose and prevents the phone display from 'accidentally' turning on if it is temporarily repositioned.

• 17. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    Regular Visitor

I have no problems with prox sensor and my was reporting the same as people who were complaining.  I have a feeling it has to do with either the shape of ear/head/face or the way the phone is held.

Have you all tried holding the phone different ways just to test?

It might just be like the Coolpix cameras that always asked if someone blinked when it took a picture of someone from Asian lineage, it doesnt handle all body types very well.

• 18. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    marytracy Regular Visitor

I have tried and have to be sooooo careful so the screen does not turn on.  I think that the sensor may not be in the greatest spot - the phone is very wide and people are going to hold in in various positions for comfort.  If the sensor was closer to the center (not toward the left) I bet this wouldn't even be an issue.  I have had touchscreens in the past, this is the first phone where I have had any kind of issue.

• 19. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!

The Palm Pre was the first device that Sprint carried with a Proximity Sensor and that was less then a year ago. It's still a ways away from being perfected. Maybe a setting to allow you to manually lock the touchscreen while on call like the old touch screen devices were.... I could see a market app or SW update enabling that function would be very usefull for users with this "issue"...

• 20. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!

I have this same issue with the Proximity Sensor. I was on the phone call with someone and then I heard the phone ringing. I pull the phone away from my ear and it was 3 way calling someone else. How embarassing! Not only that but I would accidently put people on speaker or mute or hang up on them. Other than that I started accessing applications & playing music on my phone. Going to take it to the store tomorrow & see what they can do. Its retarded!

• 21. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    marytracy Regular Visitor

It is terrible, you can't even use the phone.  Anyway you are not alone.  I have read customer reviews of this phone and yes tons of people are having the same issue.  Hopefully they can come up with a fix.  Maybe create an app with a better sensor or an app to lock the screen.  Anything would be great.  I do love this phone (except for calls), I just wish this problem could be solved.

• 22. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    Regular Visitor

I've only owned 2 cell phones. 1st was an Instinct which I liked. Then I bought a Moment

and I'm having huge trouble with the proximity sensor. I constantly launch apps with my face.

If my phone is out in the open and I receive a call, The display lights up then the screen blanks out,

I press the call button to answer call and the display turns on again but the call doesn't connect so I need to hit the call

again before the answering machine kicks in. I thought it was operator error but it obviously is a technical issue.

• 23. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!

I had the same problem and still do some of the time. If you hold the phone lower so that the top part sits sort of in the ear instead of over the top of the ear (like my old phone), it helps quite a bit.

I think the tilt detection is also part of the problem since it also unlocks/activates the screen.. at least, that's been my experiece.

Hopefully they fix some of it in the upcoming update, but I wouldnt count on it.

Heres to hope though!

• 24. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!

Mary,
    I followed the "download the Sensor List app" instructions listed by Seraph (Thanks Seraph, by the way!) and my Samsung Moment was stuck on "Waiting for value update" under the GP2AP (which is the label for Proximity Sensor) and it stayed stuck on "waiting"...

So, I chatted with a Sprint Chat Rep and she asked me to power down my phone and take the battery out so she could then "Update my phone". Then she asked me to turn my phone back and try the Sensor List app again and sure enough, the update she did on my phone worked because I am now able to see the values for the Proximity Sensor (if yours works, you will see green, red and blue graph-like lines and numbers)

I suggest anyone having the same problem with the Sensor List app log online and ask a Sprint Chat Rep to update your phone.

Good luck everyone!

-Roxanne

***Also, the Sprint Chat Rep mentioned my adhesive screen protector may be the cause of the Proximity Sensor not working correctly. Try removing yours if you have one and cutting down some.

Message was edited by: foxyroxy84

• 25. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    GILBY52 Newbie

I am with the rest of you, while I like my headset and that does resolve most of these issues, I regularly have my phone in my pocket and when I take it out, things have changed!  Apps on the front screen, ect.

I am ready to change to a different phone.

• 26. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    jrgarcia112 Newbie

To all: I have had all of the same issues with my Moment phone!!! I am very discusted as a new customer that sprint will not do anything to help resolve this issue. 5 star customer service my ***!!! Has anyone tried other phones from the so called "well list"? I have been given the opportunity to get a new Instinct or the Hero. Should I make this change?

• 27. Re: Proximity Sensor - is sprint aware of the issue?  Help!
    beliving Bronze Expert

On my Moment, the proximity sensor is in the same location as the light sensor.  I can test the sensor without downloading additional apps.  From the phone dialer, dial *#0*#.  Then tap "sensors".  When you place your thumb over the sensors (just left of the Sprint logo), the screen will turn blue, the phone will vibrate, and the proximity value will turn from zero (0) to one (1).  There are other tests you can perform on your phone from this menu.  Have fun!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...