This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2010 3:42 PM by sdialect31 RSS

HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I have been trying to research this over the web, and in discussions with HTC, and all I have been able to find out is that Sprint has to approve the upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5.  Now, according to Microsoft, who I talked to over the phone, and HTC, the Snap DOES EXCEED the minimum requirements for Windows 6.5 and SHOULD GET it because of the security updates, longer battery life, etc., and other improvements.  Can anyone tell me if we will be getting the upgrade to 6.5?

Message was edited by: Richard1864

• 1. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    wingland Sprint Admin

Sorry, but we can't discuss future un-announced software releases.

Speaking _strictly personally_ and with NO knowledge of the issue, basing my answer soley off of publicly available information, I'd say chances are good there will be an upgrade in the future.

But that's just my opinion and in no way reflects the policy of Sprint.

• 2. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    SouthBay_Mike Regular Visitor

Wow, firstly, as much as Id like to bash the new forums (I know its software designed for another purpose, technically) Im really impressed and like the new 'Now Network' feel it has with everything else.

Secondly, whilst Sprint has been very good about upgrading WinMo devices in the past, MSFT has gone on record saying very few and I mean few 6.1 devices will have the 6.5 AKU when its released into the wild. I doubt that the Snap, while a nice basic WinMo handset, is up to snuff to run the GUI that HTC will want to use in 6.5

And Id be remiss if I did not make this comment; Why would ANY power user get a Snap vs. a Pre or the new Andrioid phone for Sprint? Linux FTW!

• 3. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    Valued Member

Microsoft states that the minimum hardware requirements for the Windows Mobile 6.5 for Smartphones is 400 mhz processor and 128 MB RAM, both of which this phone exceeds.

• 4. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    SouthBay_Mike Regular Visitor

I know what Microsoft states, but that is for NEW phones coming out and it doesnt account for the new video CODECs that they will be implementing for accelerated graphics.

• 5. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    Valued Member

They it applies to old and new phones.  How much additional space would the new codecs need, and not all phones need them do they?

• 6. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    sdialect31 Expert

I'm curious to know how is it that the WM 6.5 update is available for the HTC Snap in other countries (Australia) but, not in the US? I'm sure there's some great explanation to derail my thoughts on the matter but, I think Sprint is the hold up here.

Microsoft has indeed released the software some where in the world and it is on the HTC site for customers to download (location dependent) so these two things show Microsoft and HTC to be playing ball and delivering the goods. Acknowledging the difference in CDMA and GSM, how would updating the OS of the phone affect more than how and what can be done with the data a user would send or recieve?

Having other WM 6.5 devices on your system should demonstrate the OS will work on the Sprint network, Microsoft seems to be able to deliver the update in a form that works on the HTC Snap, HTC seems to be willing to host the download on their servers as seen with most other handsets the put out (barring any unknown issue with them and Sprint on hosting)...so what is there left to do but, release the update to the public or publish a statement telling us why we won't get it? Should WM 7 hit the market while you still have WM 6.1 devices capable of a WM 6.5 update circulating in their unimproved status? What message would that send and would it cost you some customers?

UPDATE

Further reading lead me to this quote:

The New York Times reported that Windows Mobile "is foundering", as cellphone makers desert it in favor of Google's Android phone platform.[91] It cited the difficulties in Microsoft's business model, which involves charging handset manufacturers up to $25 for each copy of Windows Mobile, while rival Google gives away Android for free.[100]

If cost is the issue offer it to the customers as an option to purchase the upgrade if you guys can't swallow the price but, don't just try to herd customers into devices that will save Sprint bundles of money on top of possibly extending contracts as customers run from smartphones you won't foot the bill to upgrade.

Message was edited by: sdialect31

Message was edited by: sdialect31

• 7. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    sdialect31 Expert

Okay so now both Verizon and T-Mobile have OFFICIALLY released the 6.5 update to their handsets (Ozone and Dash), Microsoft has announced plans for a holiday launch of the Windows Mobile 7 Series (Sprint seems to be onboard too), HTC has updates out for Snap in Telestra's market but, here in the states HTC Snap S511 owners on Sprint STILL run 6.1...seriously...why?

This close to the release of the next WM phone, it's looking like HTC Snap owners have been left out in the cold on updating to 6.5 and will have to get an Android or wait for WM7 Series if you want more features or updates. A handset less than a year old, with an update available but, not a priority (it would seem) does not seem like a great lead-in to a related product platform receiving a major overhaul as you paint a picture about your support initiative that is more about your company's bottom line than your end-user experience.

I guess when you stick with the company for 10+ years they get comfortable and complacent, that would explain why new customers get perks while loyal old customers get jerked. The "welcome package" far out shines the "glad you stayed package".

When you can't or won't provide a function, feature or service (and your competitors do...) at the least, give your customers an answer or a good excuse why. Ensure the we're ******, pleased, leaving or staying for good reason, not because you left us in the dark and guessing.

• 8. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    craigmielke Regular Visitor

HTC snap will NOT get the 6.5 upgrade. You'll have to upgrade to a T2, and then wait for the 6.5 upgrade. Sorry.

• 9. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    sdialect31 Expert

What's your source on this? Is Sprint begging to look like **** in the handset support arena? I would really like to know the technical reasoning behind not providing a software upgrade to your customer base that other carriers with the same handset already have delivered to theirs.

I really hope Sprint is just adding to the ridiculous slowness they've already displayed and not just going for outright abandonment of the handset support on Snap. If you happen to have something concrete supporting this exclusion, please post a link or explain it.

• 10. Re: HTC Snap and Windows Mobile 6.5
    sdialect31 Expert

Poor little HTC Snap it's a nice little smartphone, Sprint just really doesn't have the time or energy to get 6.5 standard out to it or even talk about it for that matter. Silly me I let mine sit all alone on my desk as I went off to explore the world with an HTC Hero instead...now my HTC Snap is patting the space on the desk next to itself and eyeing the HTC Hero in my hand desperately awaiting 2.1. Sprint is just watching like a little  as EVO creeps closer to release what is a Sprint victim to do?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points