This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2010 9:13 AM by NUFUTURE1 RSS

Google Voice Number = Mobile Number?

NUFUTURE1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

What's up?

This is my first post. But let's cut to the chase.

I recently upgraded my phone from a No Phone (My Moto Q was stolen,,, yes, version 1) to a HTC Hero. I was going to get the Moment, but something about the Hero gets to me.

Anyway, I'm one of the lucky few that have a GrandCentral... er, Google Voice (GV) Number. (Yes, I had it way before Google brought them) I decided to go to a lowest Everything Data plan since I want to save a bit money. However, one question that I never asked until now is... what does Sprint sees my Google Number as? A Mobile Number or a "Landland" number?

With my GV account now on my Hero, I can dail out as either a Google Voice number or my regular cell phone.

If I dail out with my GV to another GV number, does it counts as a mobile to mobile?

If someone calls me via GV, my anytime minutes go down?

If I call out using my GV number, what happens then?

I am doing some experimenting, and while I desire to keep the GV number as my only number, I desire more to save money until the $99 becomes practical for me again.

Let me know.

• 1. Re: Google Voice Number = Mobile Number?
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Google Voice numbers are considered landline numbers in the national number databases (used for routing and number portability).

If I dail out with my GV to another GV number, does it counts as a mobile to mobile?

No, it would count against your anytime minutes since you are dialing through your "landline" Google Voice number.

If someone calls me via GV, my anytime minutes go down?

I think yes, but I am not sure. I have Google Voice as well, but I only use it for the visual voicemail part (since I switch phones back and forth a lot). If I remember correctly the call gets routed through the GV number and so the Sprint network sees it as coming from the GV number (even though you may have it set to display the caller's Caller ID instead of your GV number).

If I call out using my GV number, what happens then?

Your anytime minutes would be used again because it is going through a "landline" Google Voice number.

• 2. Re: Google Voice Number = Mobile Number?
    NUFUTURE1 Regular Visitor

Alright.

Thanks for answering my question!

I got all except the Mobile to GV, since you think it's a yes, but I'll assume for the time being, it's a yes.

This does brings up 2 more questions, this time about Google Android Dial Out.

If I block my Sprint phone number and I'm calling a mobile number, would that be considered a mobile-to-mobile?

(Keep in mind, I want people to call me via one number and keeping two phones defeats the purpose)

And how exactly do you block your number from showing up?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points