This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 2:28 PM by HillBillyBillJr RSS

Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?

Currently Being Moderated

I tried to set up conditional call forwarding with Google Voice tonight by dialing *28xxxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxxxx is my GV number.  I get a recorded message saying "The feature code you've entered is not valid ... message 1 ... switch 397."  I contacted Sprint support and they hardly knew what conditional call forwarding is, and tried to convince me that there is something defective with my phone.  I'm not buying that.... can someone shed some light on this?

• 1. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    Levi4u Master

Sign into your account at http://www.google.com/voice and on the top right click settings, On that page you have to register your phone and activate it, It will tell you what to do next.

• 2. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?

I did exactly what GV told me to do.... Sprint's switch in my area doesnt recognize the *28 feature code.

• 3. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

I'm going to run this by someone here internally to see if they can help. I'll post another update when I have additional details to share.

• 4. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?

izzyks, did you have a chance to look into this issue for me?  I have tried a few more times but still receive the same recorded error message.

• 5. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

I was not able to locate any known issue with this feature. If this support page does not help and the link for setting up google voice that Levi provided you should contact a Sprint Technician. Let me know if any of this information below helps.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Manage_the_Conditional_Call_Forward_feature_from_your_Sprint_phone/case-vw371511-20091020-144925

There are three types of Conditional Call Forwarding you can choose from:

1. Busy – Only sends calls to an alternate number if you have two calls active at the same time (e.g. you are on a call and have a call waiting)
    2. No Answer – Only sends calls to an alternate number if you don't answer your phone
    3. Busy/No Answer – Will send a call to an alternate number for either condition listed above

Note: You may forward your calls to two different numbers for Conditional Call Forwarding by simply completing both steps 1 and 2 below. You can forward calls to one number when your mobile number is busy, and a different number if you do not answer.

Setup instructions and Star (*) codes for managing each type of conditional call forward are listed below:

1. Busy (*74/*740)
    • Turn on just Conditional Call Forward - Busy
      • Dial *74 plus the 10-digit number you are forwarding your calls to (e.g. *555-555-5555).
      • Press Talk.
      • You should hear tones, then the call will disconnect. Your calls will now forward to the 10- digit number you entered for when your mobile number is busy.
    • Turn off Conditional Call Forward - Busy
      • Dial *740
      • Press Talk
      • You should hear tones, then the call will disconnect. All your calls will begin ringing on your phone again.
    1. No Answer (*73/*730)
    • Turn on just Conditional Call Forward - No Answer
      • Dial *73 plus the 10-digit number you are forwarding your calls to (e.g. *555-555-5555).
      • Press Talk.
      • You should hear tones, then the call will disconnect. Your calls will now forward to the 10-digit number you entered when you do not answer your phone.
    • Turn off conditional Call Forward - No Answer
      • Dial *730.
      • Press Talk.
      • You should hear tones, then the call will disconnect. All your calls will begin ringing on your phone again.
    1. Busy/No Answer (*28/*38)
    • Turn on BOTH Conditional Call Forward - Busy and No Answer
      • Dial *28 plus the 10-digit number you are forwarding your calls to (e.g. *555-555-5555)
      • Press Talk.
      • You should hear tones, then the call will disconnect. Your calls will now forward to the 10-digit number you entered when your mobile number is busy or you do not answer your phone.
    • Turn off Conditional Call Forward - Busy and No Answer
      • Dial *38.
      • Press Talk.
  • 6. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    DouglasGP Regular Visitor

HI Izzy,

Late post to this toppic but I just found it and I think it is definitely applicable to my situation.

I will be traveling for a few weeks in September flying by private plane in and out or some mountainous areas out west in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming where I know I might be days at a time with no cell service at all, much less Sprint service.

What I am hoping  to do is set up what I guess is called "Provisional Forwarding" but when I called Cuastomer Service the rep didn't know anything about this. luckily, I just found your post!!

What I'd like to know is that if I use your suggested *73/*730 what will happen when I am suddenly out of all cell service areas?

Can I put in my wife's Sprint cell number (good) and/or can I put in one of my business/home lines (best)? Will this do what I want which is allow me to get the call when the phone is in a service area but forward the call immediately to another number if my phone is off the gid in some remote locale or even on an airplane??

and, as important, I had read that there is no charge for "conditional Forwarding" since it will be only done when my phone is out of touch. Is this correct? and is this the "conditional forwarding" that would meet that criteria??

If I forward to my wife's Spring phone is ther a charge? what about to a non-Sprint the house/business phone number??

Thanks much! this will be a big help!

Doug

• 7. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    pkh0dgins Newbie

I have had this same issue with using the *28 call forwarding.  I am using FusionVM.  To fix this issue I had to clear my phone with *38.  I then rekeyed the *28 and forwarding number.  This has resolved the call forwarding issues on my HTC TP2 phone.

• 8. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    EGGBAR Newbie

Same issue here. Tried clearing with *38 but *28 still wasn't working until I switched from roaming to Sprint network.

So apparently can't set forwarding when not on the Sprint network.

• 9. Re: Conditional Call Forwarding Invalid?
    HillBillyBillJr Newbie

I have an LG Optimus S running Android and I was also not able to get the *28 code to work.  I was, however, able to get google voice set up by using both the *73 and *74 codes.

Hope this helps!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points