This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2010 2:58 AM by hbuniotto RSS

International use with another SIM

Currently Being Moderated

Ok so I have a couple questions concerning this... Ohh and I have a Sprint Blackberry Tour.

#1: If I go international and decide that instead of getting the international plan with Sprint, that I will just get a prepaid SIM card wherever I am at and use that for service while I am overseas, will my phone(either automatically or if I try and force it manually) still try to connect using my sprint subscriber credentials(IMSI)?

#2: If I go international and I turn my phone on with my Sprint SIM, and click on the browser by accident, is it going to work and is sprint going to charge me for the data usage cause I don't have an international plan?

Please answer these two questions as if they are 2 complety independent and unrelated questions.  Thanks!

<edited part> In ref to question 1, the phone is already unlocked... question 2 doesn't care if it is unlocked or not.

Steve

Message was edited by: Derotam

• 1. Re: International use with another SIM
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

While I am not 100% sure of this and I am not completely familiar with GSM SIM cards/phones. But don't you need the phone unlocked in order to use it with a foreign SIM card?

I did a quick search of this and this is what I found on the first Google search:

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/stayingconnected/a/cell_phone_buy.htm

Quote from the article:

"To make cell phone calls in Europe you'll need an unlocked dual band GSM phone and a SIM card."

So I think I have the right idea, that first you need an unlocked phone. I highly doubt out of the box that your Sprint international GSM/CDMA phone is unlocked.

• 2. Re: International use with another SIM

The phone is Unlocked, everything showes disabled in Options, Advanced Options, SIM card.

• 3. Re: International use with another SIM
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

Derotam wrote:

The phone is Unlocked, everything showes disabled in Options, Advanced Options, SIM card.

Read this post:

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2009/07/30/how-to-unlock-a-sprint-blackberry-tour-9630/

• 4. Re: International use with another SIM

You just quoted me saying the phone is unlocked, it is unlocked.  By the way, if you looked around further you would have seen that Blackberry Tour's from sprint come shipped already unlocked by default.  Now, back to my original questions, of which the second question doesn't care whether the phone is unlocked or not.

• 5. Re: International use with another SIM
    Rwalford Expert

I too have the same phone... I will answer questions below...

#1: If I go international and decide that instead of getting the international plan with Sprint, that I will just get a prepaid SIM card wherever I am at and use that for service while I am overseas, will my phone(either automatically or if I try and force it manually) still try to connect using my sprint subscriber credentials(IMSI)?

*** If you put in a PREPAID SIM CARD, you will be using the prepaid provider. Your phone must be set either to GLOBAL or GSM/UMTS and in 2G/3G mode for the most optimal coverage offered by the carrier you decide to use (ie T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange, 3, etc). Your Sprint Subscriber information will not work at all. I have done with with a T-Mobile SIM in the USA, and voice was not working, was told it was an issue with the 4.7 software contacting the channels for voice stored on the card. This supposedly has been fixed with the OS 5.0 upgrade, so I suggest upgrading your OS before leaving the country to ensure proper GSM support. Additionally, please note that your PIN messaging MAY work, but EMAIL MAY NOT, because your PIN is still registered to Sprint, not the foreign carrier. Because it is a CDMA/GSM phone your PIN starts with a "3" and not the standard GSM PIN of "2" - Generally this distinguishes the network differences, and Sprint would have to "release" the PIN from their system, its a long hassle and completely not neccessary if you do not plan to send email. If you are needing full capability on your BlackBerry, I suggest the WorldWide Unlimited Data $40 plan, as most data overseas after your initial 100, 200, 500MB or 1 GB can get pricy.***

#2: If I go international and I turn my phone on with my Sprint SIM, and click on the browser by accident, is it going to work and is sprint going to charge me for the data usage cause I don't have an international plan?

*** If you turn on your browser, use email, or PIN messaging, your phone will use data overseas. Even your phone sending a registration message is using data, and is subject to charges. If you do not have an International plan, (ie if your SIM is not activated), then you will only be able to use your phone in CDMA ONLY areas of Canada and Mexico without an add-on plan or roaming approval. Travel to other CDMA areas will not work. If your SIM is activated and your line of service is approved for international travel, and you do not have an add-on plan, you will be charged the data rate for the country you are travelling to by either kb, or mb. Again, I suggest using the Worldwide Unlimited plan at $40.00 ***

One more thing - Sprint natively unlocks their GSM portion of their phones, so using ANY SIM will work as long as the SIM is compatible with BlackBerry and the current revision of the OS offered, if you have 5.0 most sims will work, if you are 4.7, some carrier SIMS as I have stated above have issues. At no time will Sprint lock your phone.

Message was edited by: rwalford79

• 6. Re: International use with another SIM

rwalford79,

You mention a $40 per month unlimited data plan? Do you know if this is for any international destination where I can acess email, web and use BBM UNLIMITED amount of data for $40 a month kind of like what Verizon Wireless has?

The reason I ask is because I called Sprint a couple of times and every time I have been told the only data option when abroad, with my BlackBerry Tour, is pay per KB and they said they have no such thing as international data unlimited.

My other question is- if they indeed have the $40 per month plan, do they also have a pro-rated per day option? I know my friend has Verizow and was in Ireland for 10 days and only had the service activated for a period of 10 days and payed $1.65 per each day. Is that possible at all with Sprint?

Thanks,

-DMFlyerMark

• 7. Re: International use with another SIM

My situation:

I'm going to Brazil for 3 weeks and I want to continue receiving phone calls/email/txt there as if I was in Boston.

1) Will the $40/month unlimited plan solve my problem? And how much will I pay for the minuted used to receive/make call from/to the US?

2) My second question would be - I currently have the international calling plan, which allows me to call Brazil for $0.12/minute. Will I pay the same if I call someone in Brazil while I'm IN BRAZIL?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points