This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 8:27 PM by ColliNoid921 RSS

Purchasing phone without contract and adding to existing contract

Currently Being Moderated

Hey everyone,

So I read a similar thread but I still have some questions about my scenario:

Instead of buying a phone from the Sprint store would I be able to purchase a new phone (Palm Pre) off ebay and switch everything from my old phone (the Katana) to the newly purchased one? I want to keep the same existing contract and the same number. Will I be able to do this? I don't really understand but do I need to know the ESN before I make the purchase to ensure that it wasn't stolen/missing? (Apparently the box for the phone has never been opened but you never know) Any information would be welcome.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Purchasing phone without contract and adding to existing contract
    Rwalford Expert

You are allowed to swap your phone and keep the same plan so long the phone is an E-911 enabled phone, Sprint branded, the ESN is a "clear" ESN, and the phone is not a Palm Pre or Pixi, Samsung Instinct or Instinct S30 or Instinct HD, BlackBerry Tour, Samsung Moment, or HTC Hero. Phones listed above will have a required "Everything Data" or "Simply Everything" plan to be activated.

You can swap the phone online yourself, which will give you the program codes, and inform you how to clear out your old phone.

If you do not already have an existing Simply Everything or Everything Data plan, you will be required to switch your old plan and forfeit most or all of the grandfathered features included with previous plan (ie Pick 3, Pick 5, Bonus Anytime, Free Incoming, etc). You will not be required to change your original contract date, you will be subject to the original terms of your contract. You do not have 30 days to decide if you like this plan or phone, and there is no returns or early termination fee waiver if you deactivate or swap back to your old phone. If you decide to switch back to your old phone, please note your previous plan you had may not still be offered and you will not be able to go back to your old plan but you are free to select any other plan that meets the requirements of the phone you swap back to.

Message was edited by: rwalford79

• 2. Re: Purchasing phone without contract and adding to existing contract

Thanks for the response, but if I purchase a palm pre from the Sprint store will I be required to have a "Everything Data" or "Simply Everything" plan?

Message was edited by: Aofosho

• 3. Re: Purchasing phone without contract and adding to existing contract
    Levi4u Master

Yes, The Palm Pre requires one of the Everything Data plans, It cannot be activated on a plan that has a "Data Add On"

• 4. Re: Purchasing phone without contract and adding to existing contract
    ColliNoid921 Newbie

Would the LG Rumor Touch need an everything data plan or could it be added onto just the Sprint Power Pack Family 700? or swap the phone for one on the plan?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points