This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2010 7:11 PM by tarqquin RSS

Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?

unfathomable Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

According to Engadget, verizon just dropped the cost of mobile hotspot on the Pre Plus to ZERO!! could this be a preemptive strike against something Sprint has planned?   http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/verizon-mobile-hotspot-on-webos-devices-now-free/

Come on Sprint , time to pull out the big guns. Free mobile hotspot on the EVO 4G would be beyond awesome.. Think I'm gonna have a few good dreams about this possibility

• 1. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    Jsmart2 Expert

Yeah if Sprint Pulls this off on the EVO not even Apple and there upcoming Iphone would stand a chance. Theres already crazy hype about the phone and imagine they give free mobile hot spot too.....it would be madness, in a good way.. Sprint do this and you will take the thrown...

• 2. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    Jsmart2 Expert

• 3. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    Zer0graV Newbie

This should be a gimme for Sprint. Verizon already offers this for FREE on the Palm phones. Taking the throne? Nope, Sprint will simply be playing catch up.  Get it together Sprint, we still have 28 days to return the EVO. Im already ticked about paying the $10 a month for 4G when its not even in my area. This a 3G / 4G phone so.......why is the 4G charge mandatory? What if I just want the phone and 3G?

Message was edited by: Zer0graV

• 4. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    badankles Expert

they could at the very least leave the hotspot on 4G free and charge for when on 3G.  of course, free in both would be a killer for all other carriers.

• 5. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

badankles wrote:

they could at the very least leave the hotspot on 4G free and charge for when on 3G.  of course, free in both would be a killer for all other carriers.

Want to guess how many (pretty valid, in my opinion) rants would be posted here if Sprint were to charge for the hotspot on 3G but not 4G as a policy?  How would you handle the charge if you lived in a 4G area and for a minute or two drove through a low-quality 4G signal area and your hotspot momentarily switched to 3G, costing you $30 that month?

• 6. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    badankles Expert

yeah, i can see it would be difficult either way, but right now, sprint doesn't have a lock on hotspot for 4G so they should just leave it that way.  4G is cheaper for them anyway and not many people are in 4G, so they really are not loosing much by leaving it free for 4G.

• 7. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    ndislyfe Regular Visitor

but we also need to remember that Sprint as a corporation is in the business to make money, I am not in a 4g area at the moment but am under the impression that within the next couple of months 4g will be available in the Twin Cities area.. as for the price $30 a month, it is much cheaper than what comcast would be for similar service that would not be mobile!

The down falls for me are

1: when turing the hotspot function on it sometimes takes a few minutes for my network to be a visible network on my laptop, and

2: the fact that 3g data service doesn't work while on a phone call rendering the 3g hotspot useless!  However in doing some research it seems as if 4g data runs on a seperate channel than phone calls so 4g data trasmission should work durring a phone call!

If anyone finds out differently please let me know!

• 8. Re: Free Mobile Hotspot for Evo?
    tarqquin Newbie

The rep at Sprint lied to me about this being included in the unlimited data. Looks like my 2 are going back today!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...