This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2010 1:28 PM by mx37 RSS

How do I know if I am incurring data charges?

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

How do I know if I am incurring data charges on my Motorola i776w.  I just upgraded my plan to the everything messaging 1500, however, I don't want any surprise data charges.

• 1. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    IzzyKS Sprint Employee

Here's what the individual Everything Messaging Plan includes:

• Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
    • Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    • Talk: Unlimited Sprint mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
  • 2. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

Unless Sprint fixed their billing system to allow picture mail to not use data, your results may vary. For many months (likely a half a year) people have been charged for picture mail data use on Everything Messaging plans. There was a post on this site once explaining the only way you can use picture mail and not get charged for data usage. There are other options in the picture mail that cause billable data usage, the post pointed out.

This has been a big issue on this site and many people are upset about it. If Sprint finally fixed it great, but if not be aware!

My suggestion, check your account online for data usage, you can see:

1) Anytime minutes used

2) Text messages

3) Data usage

4) Night and weekend minutes used

5) A call log of recent calls. Not up-to-date if you are roaming.

• 3. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    Regular Visitor

My account online isn't showing any charges yet though except for the ringtone charge for $2.53.  I did all of this two weeks ago.  When will the usage show up?

• 4. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?

I just realized you have Nextel. I am a Sprint (CDMA) customer and the billing for them might be different. In many posts on this site in the past Nextel customers were not charged for data if they downloaded ringtones or for messaging. I am not saying this is the current practice, but if you don't see data usage from 2 weeks ago, I doubt that you are being charged for data for the ringtone.

Although, if you just recently upgraded your phone, the data usage displayed online may not match the actual usage. I think there is a disclaimer on the website next to the usage regarding this.

On Sprint (CDMA) you are charged for data for a ringtone. Something that I am firmly against this double-dipping charging. Again, I am not sure how this works on Nextel. Sprint seems to have really screwed up this merger, even 5 years later things are different between the networks in how they are billed.

What is really ironic, is Sprint switched everyone from CDMA billing system to the Nextel (iDEN) billing system!

• 5. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    Regular Visitor

Thanks for the help.  I think that I'll just chill until the next bill comes out and see if there are data charges on it since it isn't clear when I would get charged.  The more I read on here, the more I get confused...lol!

• 6. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    Rwalford Expert

Totally joking here for $hits and Giggles....

Q: "How do I know if I am incurring data charges?"

A : Check yo **** bill!

Actually if you have an unlimited data plan of any type the only time you will be charged data is if you are roaming internationally (Mexico and Canada are international, even if airlines dont think it is). If you do not subscribe to a data plan you will be charged $0.03 per kb of data transfered for (not inclusive to) Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, Sprint Radio, Ringers, Wallpapers, Themes, Music, Web Browsing, Picture Message Data. All this is in addition to any fees for subscribing to additonal services or one time charges for things like Sprint TV, Music Downloads, Ringer/Wallpaper subscriptions, etc...from Sprint or Third Party Companies.

• 7. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?

rwalford79 wrote:

Totally joking here for $hits and Giggles....

Q: "How do I know if I am incurring data charges?"

A : Check yo **** bill!

Actually if you have an unlimited data plan of any type the only time you will be charged data is if you are roaming internationally (Mexico and Canada are international, even if airlines dont think it is). If you do not subscribe to a data plan you will be charged $0.03 per kb of data transfered for (not inclusive to) Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, Sprint Radio, Ringers, Wallpapers, Themes, Music, Web Browsing, Picture Message Data. All this is in addition to any fees for subscribing to additonal services or one time charges for things like Sprint TV, Music Downloads, Ringer/Wallpaper subscriptions, etc...from Sprint or Third Party Companies.

First, Nextel data billing doesn't always equal Sprint data billing. Ask anyone on here that has a Nextel device, they will easily explain this major difference.

Second, this person doesn't have a data pack.

• 8. Re: How do I know if I am incurring data charges?
    mx37 Regular Visitor

Unfortunately though, once the charges show up on your bill - online or otherwise, it's too late.

I have spent considerable time researching this online, chatting online with Sprint reps, and hours in my local Sprint store.

Sprint can't give you a good answer on this.  I've tried and tried and tried.  All I get is a cut/paste from my plan that states when data charges are incurred.  In fact, I think the system they use to determine data charges is flawed.

In my case, we have Everything messaging with 1500 minutes.  This includes unlimited text and picture messaging.  However, we're getting charged sporadically for data.  I'm pretty sure it is a result of sending picture mail.

Believe me, I've been over the detailed steps for sending picture messages and know exactly what is supposed to be included in our plan, and what isn't.  (See below.)  However, following these instructions doesn't work and we occassionally incur data charges.

For example, my wife took a few pictures, and sent it to the others on our plan.  This set us back about $13 in data charges on her line.  No way should this have incurred any data charges on this line!

I've tried to find out specific instances that trigger these charges, and in fact have tried to send one picture message at a time, wait a day, then compare the change in our bill.  No luck.

For a plan that is supposed to include 'unlimited picture mail', it really stinks to not be able to use it.  Again, I know some of you, at this point in my message, are ready to reply and paste information like 'There is a difference between Picture Mail and accessing pictures using data services."  I've gotten the same cut/paste from Sprint customer service 3 times.

So I keep on experimenting, trying to figure out what the common variable is in these confusing data charges.  I don't want to block data, because then we don't get any picture messaging.

I suppose that Sprint will finally wear me down like the others before me, and I'll just give in and add a data plan.

Oh well, only 1 year and 11 months left on our contract.  Yikes!  Aside from this though, I am happy with our service, etc.

Seriously though, if someone has a very SPECIFIC cause for this, I'd really like to hear it.

FYI - here are cut/pastes from my many conversations with Sprint:

"The Picture mail service is included in the Everything Messaging Plan active on your account and there should be no charge for using this service. With this plan, sending and receiving pictures does not generate data usage."

"There is a difference between Picture Mail and accessing pictures using data services"

"The following options are included in the Picture Mail and do not generate any data usages:

-- Sending the Picture Mail from the Picture Mail account - Take a picture from the phone. Select Options. Select a contact name, phone number, or e-mail address to send the picture.

-- Post to Service through Picture Mail account
    -- Print pictures through Picture Mail account
    -- Uploading the picture from the phone to an album through Picture Mail account
    -- Picture Mail Text - When you get the Text message notification "You have new Sprint Picture Mail", select the message. Open the link in the message to view the picture on the Picture Mail server.

"The following options are not included in the Picture Mail and generate the data usages:
    -- Composing an e-mail from the Internet web browser or e-mail application on the phone.

-- Post, view, make comments, or download pictures to the phone using Web browser on the phone.

-- Searching the Web site for pictures.

-- Downloading or Viewing a Picture Using Web Browser

-- Downloading a Picture from Text Message. For example: Accessing the standard text message (not notified as Picture Mail), selecting the included URL, purchase and download the picture from the Web site.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points