This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 11:43 AM by Levi4u RSS

Sprint Early Termination Fees

superreverb64 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I have three lines with Sprint, one of them is out of contract, one of them is 7 months from the end of the contract and one is 12 months away from the end of its contract.  Does Sprint prorate its early termination fees?  Am I going to get charged two ETFs if I cancel all three lines tomorrow?

• 1. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees
    jjones2481 Regular Visitor

Sprint began pro-rating early termination fees in the fall of last year (I think October or November, but not for sure).  But it was only for contracts that were started at that time.  So, considering you have so much time left, I think it's safe to say you'd have to pay the full amount of the early termination fee, which is $200, per line that is still in contract.  Call *2 from your Sprint phone and talk to someone in Customer Care and they can tell you for sure about any fees you'd have to pay if you cancel the lines.

• 2. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees
    Levi4u Master
    After Nov. 2, 2008, the early termination fee will be prorated for all NEW contracts, starting at $200 and progressively reducing to $50 depending on the number of months remaining in your contract. To find your contract expiration date, log on to My Sprint, and click plan details to the right of your phone.
    Note: If your contract began before Nov. 2, 2008, terminating or canceling service before your contract ends costs $200 per line.
    Use the chart (linked belowL to calculate your exact early termination fee. If you are cancelling multiple lines on your account, calculate the remaining number of months on each line, locate the corresponding amounts and add them together to reach your total.
  • 3. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees

To clarify, in the OH/IN/KY market, early termination fees began prorating in 2009.  Upgrade or new activation contracts started after this change took effect have an etf of $200 for the first 5 months of the 2 year agreement.  After 5 months, the etf starts to decrease by $10 a month, until it reaches a minimum of $50.  Any corporate store will also have the contract details and up-to-date termination fees.

• 4. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees
    Levi4u Master

Why would it be any different for the OH/IN/KY market? The announce it nation wide in 2008, I find nowhere that it is limited to any "market".

http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=irol-newsArticle_newsroom&ID=1220442&highlight=

• 5. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees

When this announcement was released, the powers that be did not realize that it would be easier said than done.  The computer system that corporate stores use to process sales had to be updated to accomodate the new terms and conditions for contracts (in fact, updates to this system are still taking place) and the prorated etf policy could not take place company wide, like they had planned, in 2008.  This is why I suggested this person either call Customer Care or visit a local Sprint store to be sure what the fees would be before any lines are canceled.  (I've worked at a corporate store since 2007.)

• 6. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees
    Levi4u Master

I agree they should always call to make sure, But Sprint has to honor their press release/policy for any/all customers starting a plan after the Nov 2008 policy went into effect. It is not the customers fault that the system is/was not fully updated to reflect the change.

• 7. Re: Sprint Early Termination Fees

Tell me about it.  It's the reps in the store that end up getting yelled at and have to apologize for something we didn't do.  But as far as the new etf policy goes, to this day customers don't realize that Sprint now prorates so they're pleasantly surprised when we explain it to them.  My store hasn't fielded any complaints that we didn't start prorating sooner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points