This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2011 2:46 AM by GREENGIANT1969 RSS

Ohio 4G

Ronmega Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

When will 4G be up and running in Ohio?

• 1. Re: Ohio 4G
    warchyld1 Regular Visitor

I can tell ya this much that sprint is stupid verizons LTE is being released in columbus and sprint is not even considering putting it there LTE will be in my area 2 weeks after its launced so good by sprint 4G im going to LTE for my internet.Sprint is suppose to have clevy and cinny fixed up with 4G this yr but as fast as they been rolling it out (i should say lack there of ) dont hold ur breath.

Message was edited by: cookies2178

• 2. Re: Ohio 4G
    jcdavis55 Regular Visitor

I know I'm nobody to you, but I too was wondering about 4G in Ohio, more specifically, Columbus. So I went to the source, Clearwire. Their rep told me that they are working on getting it in Columbus by early 2011. What cookies didn't say is that it takes a lot of licensing to allow a company such as Clearwire to move into an area where they have never been. They have to go through the appropriate legal channels with the local governments and such to be allowed to build their 4G servers in areas. Not to mention the cost of building the 4G server tower (not an actual tower, more like an actual server). Each "tower" will cover about 30 square miles. For a large area such as Columbus, (which covers 210 square miles) lets say there are 50 normal towers (I really don't know). Now lets say each server cost about $50,000 to produce and maintain over the course of it's life and they put one server with every tower. Automatically a company will have to spend 2.5 million dollars for just one city. That is why Clearwire took a loss of 94 million last year. 4G is expensive to produce, but it is cheaper than 3G. Be patient and it will be here.

As for Verizon testing LTE in Columbus, the trials were so small, it was as if they had one tower up and working. I can agree that with the specs that verizon has shown off in it's Boston trials it will be fast (here comes the but), but if you do some research, you will see that buy 2012, WiMax2 will be available. Those speeds make LTE look like 3G. They are testing it in India right now. It's backwords compatibale, so there will be no phone upgrade to make it work. Just do a little reseach, you will be amazed at what you find.

Message was edited by: jcdavis55 to add more accurate info.

• 3. Re: Ohio 4G

Well someone has done some half research but yes u are correct clear2 will be sometime in 2012 if we live past that 2012 lol.Anywho im sure u have also seen that sprint will be going to lte tech clearwire is bring out clear 2 which means that they are doubling the recievers and backhual on the towers this is how there going to achieve this but sprint has said in many bloggs ect. it will be going to lte tech thta is why sprint ownes 51 % of wimax which is dubbed clear through clearwire so when they do go to lte they will make money regardless of what service ppl go with.And according to verizon they have around 5 towers up for lte in columbus oh and lte is 30 miles the 700mgz spectrum wimax (clear) is 5 to ten miles per tower 2.5 ghz spectrum. But as far as getting all that **** to install it if u go to connectohio.org they wont have any issue doing that they are just not interested in doing so clearwire already has wireless internet in dayton so its not that new in ohio yes wireless internet not 4G but hope this helped 

• 4. Re: Ohio 4G
    Gold Expert

cookies2178 wrote:

Well someone has done some half research but yes u are correct clear2 will be sometime in 2012 if we live past that 2012 lol.Anywho im sure u have also seen that sprint will be going to lte tech clearwire is bring out clear 2 which means that they are doubling the recievers and backhual on the towers this is how there going to achieve this but sprint has said in many bloggs ect. it will be going to lte tech thta is why sprint ownes 51 % of wimax which is dubbed clear through clearwire so when they do go to lte they will make money regardless of what service ppl go with.And according to verizon they have around 5 towers up for lte in columbus oh and lte is 30 miles the 700mgz spectrum wimax (clear) is 5 to ten miles per tower 2.5 ghz spectrum. But as far as getting all that **** to install it if u go to connectohio.org they wont have any issue doing that they are just not interested in doing so clearwire already has wireless internet in dayton so its not that new in ohio yes wireless internet not 4G but hope this helped

It's actually worse that than.  Clearwire's CEO is already on record saying that the WiMAX upgrade that you guys are speaking of (WiMAX2 aka 802.16m) is NO WHERE on their radar screen for the forseeable future.  That means that when Verizon launches LTE, they'll cover more ground, and despite the hit on top speed offered by 700Mhz, they'll be able to offer faster speeds both up and down than Clearwire does currently with WiMAX.  That's pathetic.

As for towers and servers, the advantage of LTE or WiMAX is to piggyback those towers over the existing Sprint and Nextel towers.  Oh wait, Sprint hasn't expanded any of their networks since 2008.  Nevermind.

Bottom line:  Sprint (and Clearwire) are taking their sweet old time to build out this so called "4G" network.  I'd say don't expect it anywhere in the Midwest (with the exception of Chicago that is) anything before 2013.  One Sprint rep in Northville, MI speculated that Michigan MIGHT finally get on the WiMAX map by the end of 2012 (he originally thought the end of 2010, but he was able to look at the future upgrade roadmap, and not a single city in Michigan was listed for 2010 or 2011.

• 5. Re: Ohio 4G

K well one 700mhz spectrum is the old analog tv broadcasting it is designed to go there walls and farther distants than the 2.5 ghz spectrum which is why verizon will be able to deploy faster.Two the trials they have ran is 100 mps thats with no one on the network the download speeds will be the same as clear but LTE will have a better upload speed than Clear and Wimax .3 Sprint and Clear have tripled there 4G areas since 2008. 4 According to the 4G department wimax will be in my area in Royalton Ohio ouside of Lancaster in Feb of 2011 you cant contact sprint reps u have to contact the 4G or wimax department they have so much more info than the tier1 2 3 reps  and more than tech support also.5 Wiamx and Clear are buildiing new towers for 4G that is also the reason Sprint is talking to Walmart to see if they can put there wimax towers on there roofs to build the network faster if u look at clearwires fixed wireless internet 70% of the areas there deploying 4G they dont have any internet service whats so ever in those areas Clearwire has 2 diferent services on some areas fixed wireless and 4G aka Clear.And there are several different companies installing wimax in some areas Clear and Sprint are not showing,Like there is an area that the cable company is installing and selling wimax i just can't remember were but it was on a wimax blog and they were useing Sprint spectrum for it.Also Sprint spectrum has way more room for upgrades LTE does'nt I do agree that sprint is being slow they should of been done by the end of the year installing this network but Verizon does'nt have to put much money in there 3G towers for cell service Sprint is still building there cell service that is why Verizon has alot more funds to play with Sprint is building 2 networks not just one.

• 6. Re: Ohio 4G

As far as Verizon does anyone know how much of the 700mhz they are useing.Of the 2.5 ghz sprint has there only going to be useing 120mhz.

• 8. Re: I Just found 4G signal in Columbus, Oh near Polaris area.

Can you be more specific? I live up that way and would like to try it out. What speeds did you get when you tried it?

• 11. Re: I will check it out later tonight when I get back in town. Thanks for the info.

I will check it out later tonight when I get back in town. Thanks for the info.

• 12. 4g is active in most of downtown
    RTGUY007 Newbie

I got 4g working last night downtown. Noticed it on my way to pickup some food at 2am. Worked at Broad and High. Got 4.5 down and 1 up. I checked it again right south of the Arena district by the railroad tracks at 4:30am and pulled 10 down and 2 up. When driving to reynoldsburg around 7am I noticed it worked from the 70/71/315 merge all the way to Livingston and 71. Most of the way it was full signal. Tested while moving on the freeway at 3.5 down and 1 up. So far not to impressive but I believe that it is probably still in testing and development. If I am getting it now, I would imagine that we will be full blown ready in Columbus and most suburbs around thanksgiving to christmas if I had to guess.

• 13. Re: 4g is active in most of downtown

I have noticed a pattern with my two Columbus people. You both reported 4G service at night, so does that mean the signals are only available at night right now?

• 14. Re: 4g is active in most of downtown
    OLSHEEPDOG9296 Newbie

I hit 5.8 down and 1 up this morning (9:15) in the parking lot of Chase in Polaris.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points