This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2010 5:42 PM by SarahKS RSS

2.1  almost here

M_A_P2007 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I found this picture , It's a picture from best buy which approves they will lunch 2.1 update for htc hero on may 7th

best-buy-hero-update.jpg

Message was edited by: m_a_p2007

Message was edited by: SarahHS

• 1. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th

so for those who don't know It's going to be OTW update ( Over the wire) so u gotta check this link for your htc hero update downloading

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/htc_hero.shtml

First of all make sure to download and install the last version of htc sync from :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/hero-sprint/downloads/

and the sync your phone to your PC or MAC ( don't forget to put your phone on usb debugging mode by going to settings>applications>Development )

ask me any question about updating and I will be glad to help You :-)

• 2. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    Johnny7480 Valued Member

m_a_p2007 wrote:

so for those who don't know It's going to be OTW update ( Over the wire) so u gotta check this link for your htc hero update downloading

http://shop.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/htc_hero.shtml

First of all make sure to download and install the last version of htc sync from :

http://www.htc.com/us/support/hero-sprint/downloads/

and the sync your phone to your PC or MAC ( don't forget to put your phone on usb debugging mode by going to settings>applications>Development )

ask me any question about updating and I will be glad to help You :-)

No offense, but if all my contacts are backed-up in my Gmail account and all of my calendar appointments come from Outlook (work account) then why in the world do I need HTC Sync?  I installed it once and found it pretty worthless and paled in comparison to the Blackberry PC software. 

IMHO, HTC Sync is just a worthless waste of space on my computer.

Now, if I need it to install 2.1, then, that's different......then, I guess I'll use it for the 15 or 20 minutes it will take to do the upgrade.

• 3. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    LSanna1488 Regular Visitor

I see it says rom update but nowhere do I see anything about Android 2.1. If you remember correctly cl14 was the same way

• 4. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    brent2010 Newbie

so after reading this, im wondering if its going to be avaiable for the Moment. Anyone know????

• 5. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    RobKelley192 Expert

LSanna1488, Back when there were still Sprint employees responding to these messages and paying atention to what was going on they did say that the next update for the Hero would be 2.1, there was no bug fix release coming out prior to that for the 1.5 OS.  I believe they said the same thing for the Moment as well.

So whatever update is coming, seems likely to be 2.1, when is the only remaining question.

• 6. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    Johnny7480 Valued Member

rlkelley192 wrote:

LSanna1488, Back when there were still Sprint employees responding to these messages and paying atention to what was going on they did say that the next update for the Hero would be 2.1, there was no bug fix release coming out prior to that for the 1.5 OS.  I believe they said the same thing for the Moment as well.

So whatever update is coming, seems likely to be 2.1, when is the only remaining question.

This all seems like a pretty "solid" confirmation for the 7th.......at least as solid as we've seen so far.  I wonder why no official word from Sprint on this site or Twitter???

What's the deal?  Make people happy and give 'em a date!!!

• 7. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th

Moment 2.1 is not far behind , probably they will get the update within the week after htc hero

• 8. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    DONALDWEST1 Regular Visitor

Hope this is for real. I spoke with a HTC Customer Service rep. the other day. We talked for over an hour, nice to talk to someone who is a real technician. Anyway, although he would not quote a date, he said the 2.1 update would allow for Apps to be loaded on the SD card. This is major because the majority of the problems with the Hero and 1.5 are system memory issues. Once you download enough apps, and you get below 30Mb, your phones OS is going to start choking. One of the reasons Sprints CS fix is removing the battery is that it clears all the caches in the various applications and frees up some memory for the OS. The HTC rep. also told me, it was not necessary to pull the battery, just power down the phone for 3 or 4 minutes will accomplish the same thing. I have tried this, and it seems to work although my phone shows 70Mb of memory which should be plenty.

When the update comes out, it will completely replace the OS, so back up your contacts if you haven't done so. All the apps you have downloaded from the "market" are kept on the server, so you will just have to re-install them, but they will be in the markets "download" list. Hope this all helps.

• 9. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    theytookmyoldusername Bronze Expert

donaldwest1 wrote:

Hope this is for real. I spoke with a HTC Customer Service rep. the other day. We talked for over an hour, nice to talk to someone who is a real technician. Anyway, although he would not quote a date, he said the 2.1 update would allow for Apps to be loaded on the SD card. This is major because the majority of the problems with the Hero and 1.5 are system memory issues. Once you download enough apps, and you get below 30Mb, your phones OS is going to start choking. One of the reasons Sprints CS fix is removing the battery is that it clears all the caches in the various applications and frees up some memory for the OS. The HTC rep. also told me, it was not necessary to pull the battery, just power down the phone for 3 or 4 minutes will accomplish the same thing. I have tried this, and it seems to work although my phone shows 70Mb of memory which should be plenty.

When the update comes out, it will completely replace the OS, so back up your contacts if you haven't done so. All the apps you have downloaded from the "market" are kept on the server, so you will just have to re-install them, but they will be in the markets "download" list. Hope this all helps.

That rep had no idea what he was talking about. The update will not allow apps on the SD card and powering the phone down for a few minutes does not clear the app caches.

• 10. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    DONALDWEST1 Regular Visitor

well then between the script readers @ Sprint and the liars @ HTC This phone is turning out to be a nightmare. I worked for Motorola's Cell Phone division and we would have never let a such a buggy phone on the market place.

• 11. Re: 2.1  almost here , get ready for may 7th
    Sprint Admin

Closing this thread because I don't want folks to think that 2.1 is coming out on the 7th.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...