This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2010 6:59 PM by geminimind616 RSS

4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand *******

LurchInTheUSA Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

Why on earth does the 4G coverage, of the so called "NOW" network, suck so much. Unless you are right in the middle of a capital city, you're stuck on 3G with the pitiful 5Gb per month cap.

Sprint needs to expand the network now. No point in trying to compete with cable/DSL in capital cities, when people in the country, like myself, who cannot get "traditional" broadband would be happy to pay for 4G over other Internet services.

Get out of the city and serve the rest of us now! Starting with Fredericksburg, TX!

Message was edited by: IzzyKS

• 1. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

ripperjack wrote:

Why on earth does the 4G coverage, of the so called "NOW" network, suck so much. Unless you are right in the middle of a capital city, you're stuck on 3G with the pitiful 5Gb per month cap.

Sprint needs to expand the network now. No point in trying to compete with cable/DSL in capital cities, when people in the country, like myself, who cannot get "traditional" broadband would be happy to pay for 4G over other Internet services.

Get out of the city and serve the rest of us now! Starting with Fredericksburg, TX!

They were supposed to have WiMax in Boston late 2008 I believe, then they said, sometime in 2009. Well we are almost halfway through 2010, still no WiMax in Boston.

I know you are complaining about coverage in the whole country, that is going to take time. First they need to get some of the major cities done, they haven't even done that yet. NYC isn't covered, right? LA, I believe is still EVDO.

• 2. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    LurchInTheUSA Valued Member

Well if I am going to be stuck on 3G for the foreseeable future, then why does 3G have a 5Gb cap, with 5 cents per Mb after that, and 4G is totally unlimited?

I feel it is only fair, if 3G caps are raised for customers whom cannot get 4G, as this is my major complaint. I am happy to stay on 3G if I am not handicapped with such a drastic cap/fees on usage. It's like being back in Australia again, with the bloody expensive broadband fees.

• 3. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    PierreThibodaux Newbie

Heck I would like just to have EVDO service where I live. I spent the week in Texas (east coast - Corpus). I had EVDO service from Corpus until right at the Louisiana border.

I was told by CS (via email) that we did have 3g service, but I always have the 1xRTT icon on my phone with extremely slow internet.

Here is the transcript of the email:

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    I have already activated my phone. The reason I am inquiring is because
    my data indicator on the phone is always on 1xRTT.
    If I am in the 3G network, shouldn't I see the EVDO indicator?

On 05/10/2010 04:41 AM, Sprint Customer Solutions ecare2@sprintpcs.com
    wrote:
    > > Dear
    > >
    > > Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the 3G coverage in your
    area.
    > >
    > > Our records reflect that we have best 3G Sprint Coverage on your area
    > > with Zip code 70518. You can certainly activate the HTC Hero handset
    on
    > > your account and use it in your area.
    > >
    > > If you still have any other issue then reply and we will assist you.
    > >
    > > Thank you for writing in to us.
    > >
    > > Sincerely,
    > > Mia G.
    > > Sprint
    > >

> >   Original Question: When will 3G be avilable in my area
    > >   Question: I just bought an HTC Hero and would like to know when 3G
    will
    > > be avilable in my area.
    > > Zip code 70518
    > >
    ========================================================================

Dear :
    Thank you for contacting Sprint.  I understand your concern regarding
    the indicator.

You do not see the EVDO indicator as in your area EVDO services are not
    available.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to address your
    concerns. Please reply to this email or visit Sprint.com/mysprint if we
    can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Nicolas C.
    Sprint

I am confused....isn't 3g = EVDO?

• 4. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    Larryt1971 Expert

Why do people think that Sprint can just magically snap their fingers and get 4G working everywhere?  It takes a lot of time, effort and money to build out a 4G network.

• 5. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    PierreThibodaux Newbie

Larry, I understand what you are saying. I am confused about the 3g and 4g. Does 3g = EVDO or not? Or are those two terms not equivelent?

• 6. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    Larryt1971 Expert

3G is EVDO.  4G is called WiMax.  EVDO is easier to set up because they can overlay the equipment right on existing towers (cell sites).  WiMax requires new hardware, panels and equipment that have to be added in so it takes much longer to set up.  Not all areas will get 4G or even 3G because sometimes it's cost prohibitive depending on the area.  Also keep in mind that a company called Clearwire is in charge of the 4G deployment, not Sprint.

• 7. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    PierreThibodaux Newbie

Thanx for the quick reply Larry!

That is what I thought. And that is why I am so upset with the emails I received from the Sprint reps.....

Just having the EVDO service would be awesome for me. Upset I have one of the best phones on the market and can not use it to it's full potential.

• 8. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    Gold Expert

larryt510 wrote:

3G is EVDO.  4G is called WiMax.  EVDO is easier to set up because they can overlay the equipment right on existing towers (cell sites).  WiMax requires new hardware, panels and equipment that have to be added in so it takes much longer to set up.  Not all areas will get 4G or even 3G because sometimes it's cost prohibitive depending on the area.  Also keep in mind that a company called Clearwire is in charge of the 4G deployment, not Sprint.

The funny thing is, despite the fact that less than 10% of this country is covered by WiMAX, Sprint continues to advertise nationally that it has a 4G network up and running.  That's false advertising, plain and simple.  Sprint hasn't built out any 4G network (and technically speaking, WiMAX is super-3G, not 4G), Clearwire is.  And simply put, Sprint claiming to have a 4G network just screams to me that Sprint management lacks integrity in a major way.

I wonder what Verizon will do when they light up a majority of their LTE network at hte end of this year...will they claim to have a 4G network as well?  and will they cover at least as many people as Clearwire currently does.

• 9. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    PierreThibodaux Newbie

Well, unlike most ppl, I do not have a contract, but I do have a sprint branded phone. Is there a way to use the phone on another network that does have 3G service locally? Because if there is, I will be thinking of crossing over.

I have been a Sprint Wireless customer for over a decade, due to the simple plans and service that was offered to me. But to be told that I would have the service then told the truth after I activated really upsets me!

• 10. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    DOUG900 Regular Visitor

larryt510 wrote:

Why do people think that Sprint can just magically snap their fingers and get 4G working everywhere?  It takes a lot of time, effort and money to build out a 4G network.

I agree Larry.  It does take time to roll out a technology like 4G, and requires revenue.  I am grateful to have strong 3G coverage in rural Fort Ann NY! Their 3G/4G hotspot, by Sierra is sweet!  I know that the 5Gb cap sucks, but you certainly don't have the latency that you have with Wild Blue satellite Internet.  And, bill paying online is a turbo boost compared to Wild Blue!!  I am dropping Wild Blue and sticking with Sprint 3G, in hopes that some day 4G will make it here. Recently, Wild Blue changed their policy making you adhere to a 2 year contract, if you want to increase your bandwidth, just to try.  That is reason enough for me to drop the fools!!  Be patient people!

• 11. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    racqueteer1 Sprint Employee

quasijedi wrote:

Sprint hasn't built out any 4G network (and technically speaking, WiMAX is super-3G, not 4G), Clearwire is.

Sprint is the majority shareholder in Clearwire and has an active partnership with Clearwire.

Also, please point out where Sprint actually says it's physically "building" the WiMAX network.

• 12. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    hibdond Newbie

My only problem with Sprint's "4G" is I do not feel like I should have to pay the mandatory 10.00 for 4G service when it is not available in my area. I understand that it will take awhile for expansion to take place but why should I be paying for a service someone else is enjoying?

• 13. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand or DIE!
    Valued Member

Not only that my voice and EVDO sucks where I live so 4G will suck  as well and no one will come out and check this area.

• 14. Re: 4G Coverage SUCKS! Expand *******
    Valued Member

I live in the Capital of CA and we don't even have 4G and the 3G sucks as well go figure. Whats so "now" about the now network.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...