This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 12:05 AM by ggreenx RSS

Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1

jetstream23 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have heard various things about if and how well a business user can access corporate email from Android phones.  It seems this was a real challenge in 1.5 and has improved with Android 2.1 but still may have some issues.  I currently use a Treo 800w with MS Windows Mobile 6.1.  I run Active Sync and had to load some digital certificates (PKI) to my device for security/encryption.  Is this possible to do with the HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.1?  Quite frankly, this concern is the ONLY reason I haven't pre-ordered an EVO yet.

Also, I have heard that while Exchange mail is improving on Android there are still major issues with calendar, task, etc. syncing from Microsoft Exchange.  Is this true and do I have to wait for Android 2.2 to provide this?  I wonder if Google's recent announcement that it's abandoning MS Windows company-wide will reduce cooperation and impact things like Exchange/Outlook integration.

Thanks to all who reply.

• 1. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    Jinxdog Regular Visitor

I have no answer for you, but I wonder many of the same things.

I do not own an Android device yet - although I have pre-ordered the Evo.  I am currently using a Blackberry which handles exchange very nicely - however, email is the only thing I really like about it.

I tried to help a guy over the phone with setting up his Droid (2.1) on our Exchange server and after trying several times to provide the server DNS host name as well as IP... even the IP and port for Outlook Web Access... I simply could not get the phone to communicate with the server.  We do not have SSL certificate on our Exchange server and I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hopefully once I have an Android phone in my hand and can try a few things, I'll be able to get it set up with our Exchange server.  If I can, I will be recommending Android to many of our employees.

I'm very interested to hear if anyone has set up their Android device to work properly with Exchange Server (2003 for me).  Especially if they do not use SSL Certificates.

• 2. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    wingland Sprint Admin

1.5 did not have Exchange support. 

2.1 has native Exchange support.

I've been using the Hero by HTC with Exhcnage 2007 (SSL secured) and it worked OK on 1.5 with the HTC mail client; now on 2.1 it works *great*.

Another option is to buy the Touchdown email client - it's a superior Exchange sync client, with loads of features.  They offer an 3 day trial period to see if it works for you and your server setup.

• 3. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    drexeldude Valued Member

I'm an IT Manager at my company, and we have our Exchange/Blackberry Enterprise environment, and we also provide this as a solution for other companies as well as exchange support/services.   This type of question comes up a lot... The truth is, if your the type of person who lives around your exchange environment (ie. Email, Contacts, Calender - Especially Calender) and you like the security features of the Blackberry where you can lock & wipe a device if you lose it, etc.  - Your going to want to stay with a Blackberry.  The only other phone that has pushed hard into this area was the newer iPhone's and Windows Mobile devices, but even then you won't have the same reliability and experience as you would with a Blackberry Device, so your going to want to remain with one.

ALTHOUGH, if your work experience with a Cell-Phone is more geared towards E-Mail only, then frankly any device will be fine with you, although we always recommend Blackberry & Windows Mobile devices above all else, the Android phones are more than Capable in handling this as well, but if your a person that's job revolves around all aspects of what exchange does for you, your going to want to stick with Blackberry's above all.

• 4. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    Jinxdog Regular Visitor

drexeldude wrote:

I'm an IT Manager at my company, and we have our Exchange/Blackberry Enterprise environment, and we also provide this as a solution for other companies as well as exchange support/services.   This type of question comes up a lot... The truth is, if your the type of person who lives around your exchange environment (ie. Email, Contacts, Calender - Especially Calender) and you like the security features of the Blackberry where you can lock & wipe a device if you lose it, etc.  - Your going to want to stay with a Blackberry.  The only other phone that has pushed hard into this area was the newer iPhone's and Windows Mobile devices, but even then you won't have the same reliability and experience as you would with a Blackberry Device, so your going to want to remain with one.

ALTHOUGH, if your work experience with a Cell-Phone is more geared towards E-Mail only, then frankly any device will be fine with you, although we always recommend Blackberry & Windows Mobile devices above all else, the Android phones are more than Capable in handling this as well, but if your a person that's job revolves around all aspects of what exchange does for you, your going to want to stick with Blackberry's above all.

Drexeldude,

I appreciate your take here.  I do rely heavily on my exchange environment - primarily email and calendar... not so much for contacts or tasks.  As stated before, I am currently using a Blackberry that functions flawlessly with exchange.  In preparation for the Evo - I have been using Google Calendar Sync for the past several weeks and it seems to be working perfectly.  If I can get my email and google calendar reflects my exchange calendar then I will be fine.  I'm just worried that Android will require a SSL cert on our server to communicate directly with exchange and as big as the Evo screen is, I do NOT want to be forced to use Outlook Web Access on my phone.

Out of curiosity - given your field of work and providing exchange support and services for other companies, are you going to carry an Evo (or other Android device) in addition to a Blackberry or WinMo phone?  While the Exchange user in me loves how the Blackberry handles email - the geek in me hates the limitations of Blackberry and WinMo.

• 5. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1

Thanks for all the replies so far.

So, it sounds like if my primary need is email I should be fine using the Exchange features of Android 2.1 on the EVO.  But, other functions such as contacts, calendar, etc. are not so well supported at this time in the 2.1 version.  Question regarding email - My company requires me to have a cert (PKI) on my current phone to allow them to enforce password policies and get my email.  Would that work on the EVO running Android 2.1?  Does it support encrypted email, etc.?

Thanks again.  Good discussion.

• 6. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    LBIRELLO1 Newbie

can't wait for the new EVO and all the bells and whistles at 4G speeds and 1G/hz!!!

• 7. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    LBIRELLO1 Newbie

If i reply to my own thread, does that increase my postings to upgrade my rating? I've been with Sprint since '98 and want SOME credibility now that the website is more user friendly!

• 8. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    LBIRELLO1 Newbie

I guess that answers that question!!

• 9. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    platosf Newbie

I got the Evo today (June 4).  I'm running Exhchange Server 2003 and using Outlook 2007 & Windows 7. Sync works with Calendar, Email, and Contacts !

Message was edited by: jpanlilio69

Message was edited by: jpanlilio69

• 10. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    SLOANBONE311 Newbie

There seems to be a bug in activesync on the Evo right now. If you set up your activesync with Exchange and reboot your phone it will be stuck in an infinite reboot and the only cure is to do a hard reset. Quit a few people over on andriodforums.com are having the problem including me. It sucks.

• 11. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1

Bummer.  Sorry to hear that.  But, it gives me one more reason to wait a few weeks before jumping into the EVO....even though I'm dying to do so.  Good luck and please provide updates.  I'd imagine this bug can be resolved pretty quickly but who knows.

• 12. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    SB210 Regular Visitor

Ditto here on the comments about the Exchange and Geek side of me as well.  Colleagues laugh at me carrying around 2 Blackberry devices - one personal, one work.  I just bought the Evo 4G today and I'm trying to get used to the lack of raised keyboard letters.  The productive side of me loves the Blackberry functionality.  The Geek in me hates the limitations and is mesmerized by the seemingly endless new features I'm learning on the Evo.  It's a great gadget and has a lot of potential for my customization needs.  Can't wait to get this thing set up exactly the way I want.

• 13. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    SB210 Regular Visitor

I've been tinkering with mine all day and haven't run into any problems until about 15 minutes ago while trying to set up email.  I keep getting a communication error when I wait for about 45 seconds while the 'Verifying account information...' screen is shown.  The next window that pops up is a warning that says my unit cannot connect to the mail server, it wants me to verify  account info and tells me my server isn't responding.

• 14. Re: Microsoft Exchange/ActiveSync on HTC EVO, Android 2.1
    CapnWinky Regular Visitor

I have used Moxie Mailer on 1.5 and 2.1 and both have worked perfectly fine with an exchange 2007 environment.  It also supports the remote wipe and password enforcement policies the same as active sync for WM, iPhone OS, and I would assume BB.  BB is the only mobile I have not personally accessed an exchange server through active sync.  All support SSL and once you setup the account they all prompt you to allow the remote server the ability to remote wipe and enforce policies on the device as one of the last steps of the account setup process.

As far as I know this was a functionality introduced in Exchange 2007 and carried on into Exchange 2010.  I haven't gotten my environment transitioned over to 2010 yet, but probably will in the next few months.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points