This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2010 8:07 PM by bandsaw000o0 RSS

Data services not working?????

C.P.S Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Like many folks out there i was extremely excited to get my new EVO today, so i went and picked it up at noon, i guess everyone else in the country was doing the same cause it took almost 2 hours for the radio shack employee to finally activate the phone...

now for the excitement.... oh wait... i mean disappointment.... fist, mobile sync backup on the web doesnt work... sure i can get go to a sprint store and have them transfer all my contacts... but there are non anywhere near me... what a hassle..... i got over it...

the main let down of the day is i cannot use data services?!?!?!?!?.... my phone wont update my data profile... called the tech support, spent almost 45 minutes on the line with a very help representative, and in the end im told there is a provisioning problem and it may be fixed today.... MAY BE FIXED TODAY??????.... this is an internet and browsing powerhouse of a phone.... and i can not even try out some of its most amazing features.... what a major let down, .... if it not working within 3 days, sprint will be getting my EVO back and i will be getting some other phone.... so angry right now....

• 1. Re: Data services not working?????
    newcomb68 Regular Visitor

Just a little info for you or anyone else having this issue... IF YOU have 4G enabled you cannot do the "Update Profile" or the "Update PRL" or the "Firmware Update" etc. YOU MUST disable 4G then the data service will work. I'm guessing this is what you are trying to do?

• 2. Re: Data services not working?????
    C.P.S Regular Visitor

Hmm, yes this was one of the steps the tech went through, everything except my mobile networks were turned off and disabled.....

it had no effect on the issue, and i was eventually told this was a wide spread problem being worked on and there was no ET for completion...

• 3. Re: Data services not working?????
    newcomb68 Regular Visitor

hmmm, I was having the same issue as you stated after reading your post but then thought about disabling the 4G and then tried it and it worked perfect.. no issus at all. Well, good luck.. I do know that there is also a tech issue with trying to transfer your number from another phone to the new EVO which at the moment can't be done. That is what I tried to do at the Sprint store today but they told me at the moment there were problems and to wait about a week.

Everyone I'm sure knew that there were going to be issues with a release of such a new phone that ppl have been waiting to get for months. The store where I got mine had 3000 EVO's in stock and had only 3 left when I got there.

• 4. Re: Data services not working?????
    bandsaw000o0 Newbie

Hey man i feel your frustration; Ive been trying to deal with this since 9am. Ive hand constant failures on "Hand Free Activation" and "Profile Update" ...but i JUST got mine working by doing this:

Hard Reset the phone:

1. Turn off the phone

2. Press and hold the volume rocker ( up or down )

3. While holding the volume, press the power button. You will be put into an admin screen.

4. Using the volume rocker select Clear Storage, then the Power button to select that option.

5. Volume UP to confirm your selection

Once the phone reboots, try going through the Hands Free Activation ( mine failed ).

I then updated my Profile and PRL by going to Settings>System Updates. I was able to update my profile and PRL with no problem. I now get my full data services.

Good Luck

Jason

• 5. Re: Data services not working?????
    C.P.S Regular Visitor

Nope, no luck on that route.

This is very upsetting, i have this awesome new phone i been waiting months for and i cant use 80% of the functinality of it ....

• 6. Re: Data services not working?????
    bandsaw000o0 Newbie

Is your Mobile Directory Number and MSID setup correctly? 

##543414# on the phone screen > Edit Mode

MDN : (your phone #)

MSID: (number given to me Sprint customer service ) Should be a 10 digit number that starts with the same area code as your mobile number

I had to go through that process to even allow me to make calls. once that was set up, i made a call to setup my phone, then rebooted it. After the that is when i tried doing the hard restart process in the previous post.

I know youve already tried Sprint CS, but some people just dont know what theyre doing. Try calling again to see it you get someone thats more knowledable. Took me 2 tries.

Jason

• 7. Re: Data services not working?????
    s.c.b.1898 Expert

Just so you know, ##543414# is not the same for each phone.

• 8. Re: Data services not working?????
    bandsaw000o0 Newbie

Each phone type? or from one phone to another?

If its different for every phone, then...woops.

Honestly, just try working with another CS rep...im sure someone has a solution to the problem.

Jason

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points