This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2010 8:00 AM by Frankinwi RSS

Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas

nawells1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I just got off of the phone with 2 Sprint Reps. who told me there was an open trouble ticket (network problems/outages) affecting all customers in the greater NY and NJ areas. They said they have been flooded with calls today.

Has anyone else heard this ??

• 1. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    dianndej Regular Visitor

I live in northern New Jersey and my evo has been giving me terrible down speeds.  whether in my house, outside, or in another town and no matter how many bars i still get around 134kbs down and sometimes as high as 900kbs up.  I have also called sprint and they have said the same thing and havent said when anything will be fixed either. Just to give you an idea of how bad this is i was in pennsylvania just 2 days ago and my brothers iphone had 1 bar of edge and still beat me to loading google.......... and i had 5 bars 3g.

• 2. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    than_el_hombre Newbie

i switched to Sprint about 3 weeks ago for the 3g, specifically so i get ESPN on my telly.  and now, my F*CK*NG data service has been down since like Friday.  can't even explain how mad i am, u guys are lucky at least u get something, i can't even get email!!!

• 3. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    GR8GIRL Newbie

I'm in Southern California and experiencing the following: slow connection speeds on my usb modem, and both my phones roaming instead of being able to use the normal network!!!!! Really making me mad!!!

• 4. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    dianndej Regular Visitor

It all seemed to go down when the evo came out on friday and since i didnt have a sprint phone before friday i dont know if my area was good or not before this. And dont worry the towers are going back up i just went only 20 minutes down the road and got a 1MB down speed so they are coming back online shortly.  Heres to hoping my area is covered well!

• 5. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    D5WSTAT Regular Visitor

Greetings, I am having a similar issue in the upper Westchester area.  My mifi speed is non existent at home and about a quarter speed elsewhere.  I had an eticket made because I thought it might be my mifi.  I'll wait until Monday to see if then situation improves.  It is too difficult to find out if a tower is the problem so we spend time on the phone only to find out later that it was a network problem.

• 6. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    nawells1 Regular Visitor

Please see my update in thread about very slow 3g speeds.

• 7. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    JinCA Regular Visitor

I live in a supposedly "max coverage" area yet I've been having mostly the same issues as many of you have for a while, even before the Evo came out. I live in southern CA and have been calling sprint weekly about this and they keep giving me the run around. Sometimes the service will be fine and other times I can't make a call out or it says I'm roaming on verizon, when this happens all of my calls go straight through to my voice mail. It happened on both my instinct and now my Evo, it's really annoying and I'm about to sack this company, I don't care if the rates are lower if I can't depend on my service in my home then their price means nothing, I guess we get what we pay for!

When I first signed up with sprint this never happened but as time has gone on it's gotten worse and worse, every time I call in I have to talk to at least 3 people and by the end of the call all I get is "we are going to have to open a ticket and someone will call you within 24 hours" and guess what? THEY NEVER CALL!! this has to be either the laziest or most incompetent company I've ever dealt with, I used to give people a hard time and defend sprint when they would complain about the customer service but now that I've had to call in a few times I have to agree the customer service with sprint is AWFUL!! when I got my evo and saw this issue was still going on (it had started with my instinct) I called and the tech support guy deleted my visual voice mail number, they don't even have their people properly trained! it took me 2 more calls to get that fixed and after a couple of months they still haven't fixed the network issue in my area, I have to go through the same story over and over again because they don't keep good notes on the accounts and when they finally listen to me and look into the things I tell them to they find out the tower closest to me is having a high failure rate, that's when they bring up the whole opening of a ticket thing yet one has already been open for weeks and nothing has been done on it, if this is how you value your customers sprint you will lose them, you are about to lose this one!

Message was edited by: JinCA

• 8. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    nawells1 Regular Visitor

sincere good luck to all of the many posters in this thread (and my other thread regarding slow 3g service) -- (from the guy who started the threads ! )

I cancelled my Sprint service and returned my Evo yesterday.  I'll never try Sprint again.

For those who have no choice but to stay with Sprint -- I hope you take further action to publicize the many many problems with their 3g network and their absolutely terrible customer service...

All of the cellular carriers have issues -- but Sprint -- they have got to be at the bottom of the barrel

Message was edited by: nawells1

• 9. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    Gold Expert

Um...folks, it's not just the CDMA side of things.  Three days ago, one of the local areas here in Metro Detroit went out too.  Ironically, I finally got a hold of a real tech and the tech is gathering data.  There is no current estimate on when the tower/outage will be fixed, but they suspect within the next week or 2 at most.

• 10. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    Debs63 Newbie

I've had trouble with my phone and internet all weekend. I did talk to a wonderful rep on Thursday night and she said there was an outage in my area and they hoped to have it fixed by Thursday night. My phone was okay on Friday but my internet is really slow. I was just about to call them again and see what the problem was. I've had the wireless internet for 3 months now and not had any problems until this past weekend. Hope they get it fixed soon, the price I'm paying is not worth dial up or worse speeds.

• 11. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    4128655599ROG Newbie

It's July 8, 2010 now and I've been having problems all week. I live in Pittsburgh and It's supposed to have a great signal here, but all I get is 1 or no bars in my house. And My daughter is stuck in roaming in Greensburg, PA which is also supposed to have a great signal according to the coverage map.

I just talked with the Rep and they said there's a nationwide outage -- Nationwide I said ?? - yep that's right she said  -- GEEEZZZ !!!!!

I wonder if this Heatwave in the Northeast has anything to do with it ?

=Dan

• 12. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas-- See Post in thread about slow 3g
    Debs63 Newbie

I know when I talked to the rep on Tuesday night she said the tower in my area was down and they were working on it. In my case I get full bars but the actual connection speed is worse than my dial up ever was. She said it was because I was pulling a signal from a tower that was further away. Mine started a week ago today and we had a huge storm Wednesday night, so I was thinking it could have got hit by lightening. Hopefully it will be back up and running soon.

• 13. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    BASTRON16 Newbie

I sure have heard of this.  I've been on the phone with as many as 6 reps in the past 2 weeks.  I live in Brookly, but have an office in Mid-town.  I own a Blackberry Curve 8530.  Apparently, there has been a data outage on Sprint's network since July 2!!  I haven't been able to receive or send email, access the mobile web from my device or send BB messages.  Sprint hasn't made an effort to alert subscribers in the NY area of this problem.  It was only when I called in on the 4-6 time that I was told the problem has been in existence for over 2 weeks.  I honestly told them this is unacceptable.  It's not good enough to excuse this problem as having too many subscribers that access the web all day.  That was the point in issuing such competitive voice/data plans, to take market share.  Now that you have it, it's okay to have an outage for more almost 2 weeks?!?!?  Everyone should be writing in to Sprint expressing their disgust.  In Brooklyn, I can barely receive voice coverage.  My calls are constantly dropping on top of all the other issues with the data service.  And to think, I left AT&T and the iPhone to come BACK to Sprint because of their plans.  Since I've been back, I've been dealing with these issues.  Who really has the time to sit on the phone and wait to speak with a Rep only to have them confirm there is no service in your area and everyday, it should be up in a few hours!!!

Sprint, you can do better than this.

• 14. Re: Outage/Network Issues Affecting Greater NY and NJ Areas
    4128655599ROG Newbie

I found out that it's better to talk directly with Tech Support than any Rep. I just tell them I want Tech Support whenever I call and I get somebody almost immediately. I did this last week to report an outage and they were very courteous and took the time to take your info to get it straightened out. It did take half the day to wait for the outage to get fixed but that's kinda feast I think. Forget dealing only with the Reps talk straight with Tech Support.

=Dan

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...