This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 11 Previous Next 162 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2011 10:55 AM by harleydgal25 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    Kari_Elder Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

KenDudeEVO  wrote:

I  think Android 2.2 (Froyo) gives you mobile hotspot capability for free,  so no I'm not paying $29.99 a month for it, that's absurd, especially  when I only really need it in a couple of airports, etc.

Note that  the current Android OS supports USB tethering out of the box yet Sprint  has it disabled. I have no doubt that in 2.2 tethering of any kind will  also be disabled without paying for it.

Not true. USB tethering has not been disabled by Sprint. I was using it just last night on my laptop as a test to see if it would work, and it did. Beautifully.

• 31. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    uscopy28 Regular Visitor

Only in 4g areas and only on 4g.  they have not implemented the authentication to be able to charge for that yet.  3g hotspot is not free for this month as they have always had that authentication in place.  Or something along those lines.  But 4g hotspot free until July... 3g hotspot must have 29.99 add on

Message was edited by: mkenny28

• 32. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    KenDudeEVO Regular Visitor

What is the step by step for tethering via the USB cable? I plug the cable into my laptop then what?

• 33. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    badankles Expert

ah, yes.  that's right.  thanks for the reminder.

• 34. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G

HTC Sync needs to be installed on your laptop/whatever you want to tether to first. Plug in your phone after installing Sync. When the "Connect to PC" list comes up, select HTC Sync then done. After your phone is recognized, go back into the "Connect to PC" list and change from HTC Sync to Internet Sharing. It will pick up the signal and tether, but beware it does take a few minutes. I tethered with both Wifi and 3g last night.

On a side note, it seemed odd but it appears you have to Sync first before sharing every time you start a fresh connection. I tried to share without syncing first and it didn't appear to work.

• 35. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    CapnWinky Regular Visitor

Strangely as much as people indicate that Sprint doesn't want you to tether PAM, its in the **** users guide.  Page 147, tells you exactly how to setup a PAM using the EVO and your computer.

• 36. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    1971DIRTYRED1971 Regular Visitor

i'm in a 3g area and i'm on my laptop right now tethering.  i have noticed that it is alot slower. i don't know who came up with sprint don't want you to do it when the software is on their web site http://www.sprint.com/downloads. i have the hot spot just to try and it's faster than tethering. people you have to look at what you want and what you will be using phone for. not all need to have the hot spot but some of us do. remember it's a feature that you can turn on and off. call today turn it on. call tomorrow turn it off. you will still have it for that month. and those of you that are able to get the hot spot free right now remember that you use at your on risk for you are not on a secure connection. i will not tether unless i have to cause like i said it's very slow. plus i have wireless in my house just wanted to try it.

• 37. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    TOMALIKO5497 Newbie

I just got my HTC EVO and at first I purchased the 29.99 hotspot add on, but after using it I had that add on removed. I had issues connecting on my computer. I may have expected too much, I wasn't able to watch my favorite shows on abc.com because the connection was just that weak/bad.  My hubby was using the hotspot on his playstation and his connection was horrible as well. I would recommend what others have, which is not using this connection as your primary internet connection. We're just going to go with AT&T or Clear. I really hate that Sprint has disabled the "connect for internet sharing" setting. I don't understand what the big deal would be to allow a person to be able to use the phone as a modem, it would just be for 1 device (as opposed to the hotspot which allows up to 8 devices to be connected) and would essentially be the same as a person using the internet on the phone.

• 38. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    1971DIRTYRED1971 Regular Visitor

the function is not dissabled. you need to download the software. look at pass link and it will tell you what to do. i used my phone as a modem with the usb cable.

• 39. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    TOMALIKO5497 Newbie

When I went to the link that was posted that says it is for the software download, I did not see the EVO listed. I saw several other phones listed but not the EVO. Am I supposed ot be using the download for a different phone, or does it not matter which phone is listed?

• 40. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G

If you click on Smartphones with that link, the Evo is the first phone in the top left corner. Alternately, you can also download HTC Sync from HTC at http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/downloads/

Message was edited by: zd47994

• 41. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    R.Jolley Regular Visitor

Surf to htc.com and click on Support at the top.

Select the HTC EVO 4G in the Select A Device dropdown box.

Click on Downloads tab.

Download HTC SYNC Update for EVO 4G (2.0.35).

• 42. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    TOMALIKO5497 Newbie

Thanks guys (dirtyred and rjolley) I got it!!!! I am so super excited about this!!!! I don't want to pay the 29.99 for the hot spot because I will only be using the connection for my computer and not for any other devices so this is great! -not to mention I had the hotspot add on and it didn't work very well for me 8(

• 43. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    GilroyKilroy1 Valued Member

zd47994 wrote:

KenDudeEVO  wrote:

I  think Android 2.2 (Froyo) gives you mobile hotspot capability for free,  so no I'm not paying $29.99 a month for it, that's absurd, especially  when I only really need it in a couple of airports, etc.

Note that  the current Android OS supports USB tethering out of the box yet Sprint  has it disabled. I have no doubt that in 2.2 tethering of any kind will  also be disabled without paying for it.

Not true. USB tethering has not been disabled by Sprint. I was using it just last night on my laptop as a test to see if it would work, and it did. Beautifully.

So your saying they didn't disable it on the Evo (it *is* disabled in the Hero and it also *is* in the Hero manual so just because it is in the manual doesn't mean it is always allowed.) Also, from reading the notes from others, you need HTC Sync for this which is unavailable for the Mac. Anyone with a Mac try it? (Yes, I know about PDANet.)

• 44. Re: Tethering using Phone as Modem with HTC EVO 4G
    DOUG_HENNING Valued Member

As others have pointed out, tethering by USB cable or Blue Tooth is technically not allowed under the terms and conditions of use... The Router feature is a supported feature...  If subscribers violate the terms and conditions of the their agreement with Sprint, they could cut off service without any recourse on your part and you would be subject to a cancellation fee for violating the terms of the contract...

The reality if that minor use of data this way would be very tough for them to catch and they wouldn't bother with users that were well under 5GB of data anyway...    Heck..  I suspect that data use on Sprint phones might be higher for many users this month anyway of folks watching World Cup Games on their phones..  I was watching earlier today on my HERO...  My heaviest data usage was last fall watching NFL Games in a hotel that did not carry NFL Network..

1 2 3 4 5 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points