This discussion is archived
1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Previous Next 171 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2010 6:18 PM by czcDoofus Go to original post RSS
  • 75. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    raymondcool Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

where where you an hour ago????? I'm bricked...

• 76. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1

Everyone keeps saying "if rooted" ... how bout this, the update manager should CHECK THE FREAKING VERSION B4 installing it! Granted, I could have, BUT WHY WOULD I? Should I seriously have to concern myself with whether or not an update will BRICK MY NEW PHONE?

An hour after it happens everyone is acting as though they are so freakin knowledgable about it. why weren't we warned DURING the update attempt even if the program didn't check for the update to see if it was already installed? NEITHER I NOR ANY PERSON who has written about this up to this minute sitting next to their paperweight ROOTED THE DARNED PHONE! This use of the word "ROOTED" is brand spanking new in my vocabulary!

Why is anyone even warning the people who do hack them about such a risk???? THEY KNOW the risk don't they??

• 77. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1

You are wrong. The phone prompted many of us to update a 2nd time, when we did, it bricked. If you read all the posts in this thread instead of skimming, you will see. It has NOTHING to do with tinkering while in process. I was patient BOTH times it said to do it. And the people who were victims of this catastrophe, are probably why they pulled the update.

And another person on this thread suggested "if you force the update a 2nd time..." how the **** can I "force" the phone, and the server to do anything it doesn't want to do? some of these seeming knowit-alls are on my nerves. I am not a phone expert, especially not a android expert, and all of the real experts wrote and distributed the patch that did this Wi-Fi shooting.... thats what this was, driveby on the information superhighway as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of people telling those of us with 2 year contracts on a paperweight what's really happened to my phone, just because it didn't happen to them.

Message was edited by: raymondcool

• 78. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    ccerose111 Expert

FeralParamour wrote:

I suppose it's time to throw my issues and observations into the ring. I'd like to target this at people who have had a successful update to the new HTC firmware and haven't noticed any major issues. It seems one of the changes that has been made is that the phone will no longer allow you to be on both the 3g and 4g networks at the same time. I am sure disabling this was meant to save battery life. Anyone notice the same thing? Also, after putting the device under heavy load, i.e. running Pandora on high quality, it seems that another battery saving measure has been to clock down the CPU. While running Pandora the phone becomes rather delayed in its responses... slow and framey... think a G1 running the Hero rom kinda slow. Typing anything in this state is rather unpleasant. I'd love some feedback from other EVO users.

My phone updated fine.  In fact, my phone updated twice, without bricking.  I'm not in a 4G area, so I can't say anything about that, but I have not experienced any slowdown when having multiple apps running.  To test it out, I ran Sprint Navigator, Maps Navigator, turned on GPS, bluetooth, and wi-fi.  I ran Pandora, and sent out text messages.  The key presses were fast and responsive and apps loaded just as fast despite other apps currently running.

Lastly, I got the best battery life after the install since getting my Evo at launch.  I had just put in a freshly charged battery and the update finished around 8:00AM PST.  After 16 hours, I finally got the 20% low battery warning.  And I really pushed the phone hard, much more than what I'd consider normal use for myself.  I made dozens of calls.  I was constantly pushing the email, I sent out dozens of texts, I watched youtube videos, Sprint TV, and side loaded videos.  I spent several hours browsing both over the 3G network and wi-fi.  I did a lot of stuff with google maps and Sprint Navigator.  I even snapped a couple dozen pictures and shot about 30 minutes of video.  This is way beyond my normal phone use.  If the battery life before was a deal breaker, there's definitely a new deal on the table.  I know there are quite a few unhappy Evo owners, I know I'd be miserable if my phone bricked after the update.  But as that was not the case, I couldn't be happier with me phone.

• 79. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    toneyevo Regular Visitor

As my previous post stated, my un-rooted EVO bricked after the update.

When I tried to get this resolved at several Sprint stores in my area, the technicians was not aware of this wide spread issue.  At only one Sprint store did the technician indicate that he just recieved an e-mail saying to tell customers not to install the update.  They offered me a refurbished EVO (a returned); but I refused it because I did not cause the issue.  I also wanted to add that my guess, or really I should say my suspicion, is that Sprint store managers are focused on new sales versus giving out brand new replacements out to replace "bricked" EVOs. It will be a huge FAIL on Sprint if this issue is not resolved with replacing broken EVO with NEW ones.

If I don't get this resolved with a new EVO within a day, I am returning my EVO all together.  I'd hate to do that but Sprint has to come through on this problem that was caused by Sprint, HTC, or both. If I have to do this, I will request a credit for the apps that I have purchased on the Android Market.

And lastly, as I think about it.  I drove to at least  four Sprint stores trying to get this resolved without success. I think my efforts warranted some sort of significant credit on my account.  I want to note that Sprint's customer retention was great.  Here is why: When I bought my EVO, I also bought the $12.99 screen protection kit. Customer retention gave me a credit for it because when I get a replacement EVO I can not re-use the screen protector.

I am hoping that Sprint comes through in a BIG way for all customers that experienced this.  For many customers like me, this far beyond an inconvenience! I use my EVO for work. I am a student which I use the mobile hotspot. I use this phone as a tool to manage my work, academic efforts, and my life.

Message was edited by: toney65

• 80. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    torryj30 Newbie

i have had my evo since day one. I got the first update like hopefully everyone else and it went fine.  The second download went throught great and now its working faster than it did.  still need more ie; 2.2.  but no bricking or nothing i even went as far as checking a second time but the phone said it's up to date, before sprint stopped the update.  Folks if you can answer this, if you downloaded the update the first time why would you go and download it again, unless you had trouble the first time then i can see but if it went through the first time leave it alone.  As for the others are you sure you didn't download anything else from a mom and pop app place to make the phone better or faster, you know that doing that messes up your phone if you root the phone to make resolution better or try to make the phone have more memory. what is already in place don't mess it up, yes i know that the phone has bugs but just be patient and give it some time just tell sprint what you would like to see better instead of gripping. Hey, no phone is perfect.  Be honest with yourself if you tried to alter the phone you gonna have problems, if not always remember turn off the lights if you are not using them and empty the trash can. clean up a bit then bring the new furniture in.  keep talking to the techs, ones that know the phone, and try to get the device fixed. Ladies and gents we have to keep this phone up high on the totem pole because you don't want the iphone folks talking trash, as of right not the evo and the iphone4 are teetering wich one is better.  All of the commentators are stating personal preference regarding the iphone4 and the evo, both are great it's just a personal preference.  Remember iphone had a lot of bugs in it before getting on the right path, notthat it can't be a good device but I think evo will be a bit better.

• 81. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    toneyevo Regular Visitor

torryj30:

My response is only to address your seemingly suggestion that EVO users  did something wrong to get bricked. I disagree because I think that most  folks that got bricked just followed the prompts on the screen,  trusting that the update had been tested and would work fine.

As you may suspect, many or maybe most users of the EVO are just users. All they want is for the phone to work as advertised.  Many or most don't care about competing with the iPhone. The EVO, like the iPhone, is just a phone, albeit, an advanced smartphone. There is no real need to push the EVO up on the totem against anyother phone. It is about what works for each individual. The day-to-day user of the EVO does not root or do anything else unique to the phone. You seem to expect that most EVO users to be super techie folks that are tweaking their phones. Although I am definitely NOT suggesting that EVO users are dumb or idiots, I am simply saying that the average EVO is using it as it came out of the box. As far as competing with the iPhone. What makes the iPhone the smartphone of choice for many people is its ease of use and not its advance technology.

I am a senior technology consultant, I am a mobile tech enthusiast, and a proud EVO owner (which is bricked). I have found, in work and play,  that technology is used to compliment life not define it. My EVO compliments my worklife and personal life.

Now I need to take myself to work and get off these forums.

Take care.

• 82. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    JEMOORE2006 Newbie

Yes having the same issue saying no updates available.

• 83. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    L33THOSTING Regular Visitor

Sprint has officially stopped the update for the time being due to the issues some people are having. Mine updated with no issues. AMAZING battery improvments and wifi speeds are much improved. From Sprint

"While the vast majority of consumers successfully downloaded and  installed the most recent HTC EVO 4G software update, we have received a  handful of reports from customers having some issues with the update.  In light of this, HTC and Sprint have decided to temporarily halt  distribution of this software release until we can investigate further.  We expect to be able to resume software updates shortly."

I hope they get this fixed quick for my fellow Evo users.

• 84. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    NICHOLAAAAS Expert

**** i got a third party version of flash 10.1 on there and still didnt have a problem updating. i guess i'm used to hour long blackberry updates

• 85. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    vijaykrishnaraj Newbie

My update went fine, but my radio now keeps switching between 4g and 3g I am in a 4G area. before the update it used to be always on 4g .

• 86. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    LGILBERTRX8 Regular Visitor

No problems downloading the update, as far as improved WiFi it seems the same, that is poor. I live in a 3 story house with the router on the 2nd fl. and with my old touch diamond I would get a good signal anywhere in the house even outside now with the EVO if I get more the 20 feet away or if walls get it the way I lose the signal. Does anyone else have the poor reception problem? Other then that love the phone.

• 87. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    NICHOLAAAAS Expert

both before and after the update i've only been getting the dot/one line... but both before and after i get 10 down and 2.5 up. i'm quite fine with that

• 88. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

raymondcool wrote:

You are wrong. The phone prompted many of us to update a 2nd time, when we did, it bricked. If you read all the posts in this thread instead of skimming, you will see. It has NOTHING to do with tinkering while in process. I was patient BOTH times it said to do it. And the people who were victims of this catastrophe, are probably why they pulled the update.

And another person on this thread suggested "if you force the update a 2nd time..." how ... can I "force" the phone, and the server to do anything it doesn't want to do? some of these seeming knowit-alls are on my nerves. I am not a phone expert, especially not a android expert, and all of the real experts wrote and distributed the patch that did this Wi-Fi shooting.... thats what this was, driveby on the information superhighway as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick and tired of people telling those of us with 2 year contracts on a paperweight what's really happened to my phone, just because it didn't happen to them.

Message was edited by: raymondcool

That is interesting...but not the same story that you posted in another thread.  There, you never mentioned a second update.  You also said that you "waited patiently"...for a whole minute, then realized it was not displaying progress, so you started interfering with the process, including pulling the battery.  Your apparent attempt to jump on the bandwagon diminishes the legitimate complaints of others.

Unedited first paragraph of your other post:

My EVO just bricked during an update. I simply checked if there was any  system updates available, and it said there was. I chose to install the  update. It downloaded it, and began installing just fine. I waited  patiently during it, and after a minute or so, I realized it was not  simply powering off\on, it was doing nothing. Now the phone will not  power on. I've removed the battery for a period of minutes, desperately  hoping against logic... and still nothing. Any help is appreciated.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/186983#186983

• 89. Re: 6/28 - New HTC EVO 4G Software Version 1.47.651.1
    ANONYMOUSPEANUT77 Regular Visitor

Lol, I guess this is what THEY all get for bashing Hero owners.

1 4 5 6 7 8 12 Previous Next