This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2010 7:33 PM by wasbakntyme RSS

My MOMENT wont take a charge from any home or car charger

JadeJewel Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Since I got this phone in Dec. 2009, I've had 3 intstances (total time unable to use phone is about 2 months due to this problem) where my Moment won't take a charge or acknowledge a home OR car charger. It looks like it's charging for about 4 seconds, then "falls" out of the ability to continue charging.

I've replaced my phone TWICE now, b/c all Sprint will give me is ANOTHER stupid "MOMENT."

Then after about 2 months, it happens again.

It's not me, as I take good care of my phones. It's a poorly made USB port.

Today, July 1, 2010, I'm having to AGAIN take both my daughter's and my phone to our local Sprint store...so they can tell me (i'm pretty sure again) that it just needs an "update."

Updates work for a week or 2 occasionally, then I'm back unable to use or charge my phone(s) again.

This is ****.

And if you look online, this USB/no charging issue, is VERY COMMON!

So, SPRINT, if you want your money on time, I should be able to use my phone AT LEAST 50% of the time!

I don't like this phone, and don't want another replacement!!

These phones are NOT good phones!
Jewelsss

• 1. Re: My MOMENT wont take a charge from any home or car charger
    ma1ntb Regular Visitor

As far as the charger goes, you will never be pleased with most phones now. Most have charging issues after a few months. Samsung, sanyo, motorola and lg on all services frequently have this issue. (yes, I have owned most of these phones, and various friends and family still do on different services.) It is something not likely to change. I have heard that the car charger from the manufacturers are part of the problem, something about them being too large.  I use an aftermarket cord plugged into a usb wall adapter or car adapter and have not had any charging issues yet (6 months in). I do experience another problem you talked about in another post though, that is the screen does not function properly when plugged in.

Any other issues I had, battery life and what have you, was quickly taken care of by use of modified rom. I'm mostly happy with my moment now, and figure it will now last till I can upgrade.

• 2. Re: My MOMENT wont take a charge from any home or car charger
    ladyyy1026 Regular Visitor

My daughter was having the same problem, she took it in to a Sprint store, for them to tell her that a piece inside the phone was loose, they implied it happened from her yanking the charger out from the phone, but she says she doesn't do that, the phone has a manufacter warranty for a year,but Sprint says it's not covered due to "physical damage, & since she doesn't have the insurance she would have to purchase a new phone at retail price, so my question is, is there an external charger she could use to charge her battery?

Thanks

• 3. Re: My MOMENT wont take a charge from any home or car charger
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

juley8 wrote:

It's not me, as I take good care of my phones. It's a poorly made USB port.

Today, July 1, 2010, I'm having to AGAIN take both my daughter's and my phone to our local Sprint store...so they can tell me (i'm pretty sure again) that it just needs an "update."

Updates work for a week or 2 occasionally, then I'm back unable to use or charge my phone(s) again.

Since the "update" is presumably software, not hardware, how could an update possibly make a "poorly made USB port" work properly for a week or two?

• 4. Re: My MOMENT wont take a charge from any home or car charger
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

greeneyedbutterfly wrote:

My daughter was having the same problem, she took it in to a Sprint store, for them to tell her that a piece inside the phone was loose, they implied it happened from her yanking the charger out from the phone, but she says she doesn't do that, the phone has a manufacter warranty for a year,but Sprint says it's not covered due to "physical damage, & since she doesn't have the insurance she would have to purchase a new phone at retail price, so my question is, is there an external charger she could use to charge her battery?

Thanks

Try another Sprint repair center store.  A Sprint corporate store might be a better choice than an affiliate store.  If the tech tells you no, try talking to the manager.  I haven't had any problems with my Moment, but Sprint replaced my previous phone, the Mogul, at no charge and with no questions when the tiny circuit board that holds the charging pins inside the charging connector broke loose and fell out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points