This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 12:51 PM by -Carlos- RSS

HTC EVO 4G Memory Leak?

-Carlos- Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have Advanced Task Killer installed to help with my battery life and I've recently noticed that my system memory starts out at approx 250mb. Then after only using a few apps and "killing" them after use (Facebook, Twitter, and Text Messaging) my EVO system memory drops down to about 200 mb or so. The available memory then drops gradually lower and lower (while idle) to about 100mb. So far I haven't noticed a huge problem but just curious if it will become one.

I restart my phone and all the system memory is then all available again. I have actually never let my phone drop in memory any lower than 100mb but maybe I will let it go to see what happens. From what I've read,  the EVO software is Linux based and that memory usage is very efficient. Be that as it may, to me it doesn't make sense as to how memory just "disappears".

Anyone out there experience this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: HTC EVO 4G Memory Leak?
    Mr_Wiggins Regular Visitor

Thats a new one to me but if I may suggest, try removing your task killer.

I know for a fact that it may be causing performance issues as Linux does not need manual management of tasks.

Since I have uninstalled it, I have had better system performance as well as MUCH better battery life. The task killer runs constantly to find apps/services that are started so it may be the source of the leak.....just give it a shot and if it doesnt improve anything, reinstall.

Also, did this start AFTER you installed a certain new application(s)? Bad apps have casued me a lot of trouble......

• 2. Re: HTC EVO 4G Memory Leak?
    -Carlos- Regular Visitor

That's interesting, my battery life is actually better with ATK installed. I think the problem is app related though. I noticed if I manually kill tasks, it is then that the available memory seems to drop. So for now unless there is a fix for the app I will leave the app kill to auto. I set it up so that it kills tasks only when I turn the screen off. So no more manually killing tasks for me.

On a different subject.......can't wait for Froyo!!!

• 3. Re: HTC EVO 4G Memory Leak?
    Basically Regular Visitor

GatoL0c0 wrote:

That's interesting, my battery life is actually better with ATK installed. I think the problem is app related though. I noticed if I manually kill tasks, it is then that the available memory seems to drop. So for now unless there is a fix for the app I will leave the app kill to auto. I set it up so that it kills tasks only when I turn the screen off. So no more manually killing tasks for me.

On a different subject.......can't wait for Froyo!!!

I wouldn't really expect Froyo to solve all performance problems of this device. Obviously not with the Evo, but the Hero started with 1.5 and everyone kept saying "when 2.0 comes out we won't have any problems"

2.0 came out, more features, no performance increase at all.

The only thing I expect 2.2 to come out with is more features and maybe some kernel issues. (like this memory leak if does exist) But for the most part, using all the apps and features you purchased the phone for will have to be compromised in order to actually get good use out of it.

Not really sure how they advertise a phone with this stuff, then tell me to turn all of it off and just use what I'm using if I want to actually use the phone. They do it though, and the reps at my Sprint store STRAIGHT UP told me (and I'm assuming everyone else who comes in there) that the $10 PDP IS FOR 4G. (even though 4G isn't in our area) Honestly, how do they expect this phone to fair at being a 8 pc hotspot wirelessly if it can only do so for less than an hour? Sprint actually told me not to use it as a hotspot unless I really need to or if I'm near a charger, both of which kill the reason for purchasing it as a hotspot. At least I got my $30 back for complaining to Sprint that I'm paying for a service that they recommend I not use.

• 4. Re: HTC EVO 4G Memory Leak?
    -Carlos- Regular Visitor

I definitely don't expect everything to be fixed because I know realistically, that won't happen. What I was really referring to is new features like Flash 10.1 support, hopefully faster we browsing and the ability to save apps to the SD card.

Personally I didn't buy the EVO for the hotspot feature but I can see how the battery life would be a huge problem. At least you were able to get your $30 back.

I would love to root my phone some day to really get everything I want out of this phone but it seems like everything you need to do it is not packaged together with all the files you need. Some of the "how to videos" are horrible. There is one in particular where the video is recorded sideways! Glad there are people out there willing to do this though.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points