This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2010 1:36 PM by allreeeds RSS

4G not connecting?

Aralus Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am new to Sprint and had a question about my HTC Evo. I am located in Hawaii where there is 4G coverage and when I turn on 4G to connect, it just scans and does not connect. I left it on for half the day and it still did not connect. Do I possibly have a defective phone? I have rebooted the phone several times with no success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

• 1. Re: 4G not connecting?
    prjkthack Newbie

I am also located in Hawaii and have noticed this issue as well. 4G was working just fine a couple of days ago, now all it does is:

- "Scanning..."

- "Connecting to Sprint..."

- "Scanning..."

- "Connecting to Sprint..."

Over and over again. Sometimes "Disconnected" will appear after the connecting part, but usually its the same pattern.

Maybe some kind of temporary downtime? Or wimax issue here in Hawaii?

• 2. Re: 4G not connecting?
    EVOill Valued Member

I can not help you here, i had similar behavior but that  resolved by itself. I associate this with the fact that 4G in my city is probably not yet fully operational.

How long your battery lasts in 4G ? Can you do the experiment for me? Can you switch all apps off say with Advanced Task Killer or Advanced Task Cleaner, or SystemPanel, whatever you have, stop activity in background and leave EVO with 4G ON for several hours just observing sometimes battery info. The question is how quickly discharges your battery ?  More precise % of running battery you can get when you say by voice "Open Battery Info" or in different Task Managers and killers.

Things are that by some reason i have very unstable battery lifetime. Sometimes it discharges like h@ll in just 4 hours with 4G on, sometimes it lasts longer. I can get  5% decrease per hour but mostly whopping 20%/hour doing NOTHING. Almost 100% EVO will discharge overnight and turn itself OFF.

I suspect this could be due to the similar with your case above fact when 4G seeks connection in non-stable network and couldn't find it or locks on wrong signals. EVO becomes really hot in this case.

• 3. Re: 4G not connecting?
    yooEEE Newbie

same here.  i got my phone on July 3rd, did the OTA update right away and have never connected to the 4g network in DC.  I'm going to the Sprint store tomorrow to figure out what's going on.

• 4. Re: 4G not connecting?
    Aralus Newbie

Hey yooEEE,

Please report back what the associates at the Sprint Store tell you. I am curious to see why my 4G isn't working.

Thanks

• 5. Re: 4G not connecting?
    jebhan Newbie

Having the same issue here in the DFW area. Got my new EVO on Sunday and did the OTA update. It finds the 4G, attempts to contect and goes back to scanning. Went to the service center and they a fix should be out soon which is the first I've heard of that. Sprint customer service is not aware of the issue.

IMG_0118[1]

• 6. Re: 4G not connecting?
    yooEEE Newbie

Just got back from first the corporate sprint store, then the sprint repair center.  the first place i talked to a rep who said it's hit or miss whether you can get on 4g, but couldn't be clearer on whether it's b/c of the OTA update, or the network only being rolled out to some customers as part of testing the new network.  His own phone was stuck in scanning like mine.  The store model of course was fully operational with G info all available when you look in settings.  I also have a small screen separation issue that is also widely reported online that started about 1-2 days after getting it.  The lower left corner started feeling sticky under the screen as you could both feel and hear the sticky clicking whenever I used the home touch button or further up up to 2 inches.  So I went to the repair center and the guy there said the 4G network is not yet available in DC, repeatedly.  Totally a corporate type of message, but whatever.  Either way, we should all be within the 30 day trial period and I'm going to get my phone replaced because of first the screen separation, and second to rule out my phone being the reason for this inability to connect to 4G.  They have no more online again (I called customer service), so I'm on the waitlist for their next shipment.  In short, LAME... and to be continued.

• 7. Re: 4G not connecting?
    jebhan Newbie

The supervisor at my local Sprint Store keeps saying that an update will be out next week regarding the 4G issue. I have yet to see anything official from Sprint or HTC on this. I have asked via Twitter and directly to confirm and no response yet. This is very fustrating!

• 8. Re: 4G not connecting?
    dedo981 Newbie

I had this exact issue and was in my 30 guarantee period.  I called Sprint tech support and we went through a lot of tests.  We did a factory reset and everything.  He did some test on his end which caused my phone to run PRL updates.  Basically, nothing worked.  He then told me to go to the Sprint Repair Store for diagnostics.  The Sprint Repair tech just ordered me a new handset replacement.  I received the replacement yesterday and now the 4G is working fine.  I am in the Seattle area. But now the new phone has the light leakage and screen separation issue.  Go figure.

• 9. Re: 4G not connecting?
    jebhan Newbie

I sent an e-mail to some executives today and received a callback this afternoon from the corporate escalations team. They stated that engineering was just made aware of the problem and are working with HTC on a fix. They stated I would receive a callback tomorrow about the issue and see if they can revert my phone back to the old OS. We'll see what happens. Dedo, what build are you on?

• 10. Re: 4G not connecting?
    dedo981 Newbie

Are you talking about Android? Or are you talking about Hardware build?  The 4G did not work out of the box, nor did it work after I applied the HTC update on June 30th, after they fixed the issue with bricking of the phones.  As for Hardware I am not sure which version it was.  My new phone is 003.  If you need any more info, just let me know.  I hope they find a fix for your phone. Sucks that I have a new phone with the glass separation, but small price to pay since everything else is working just fine.  Though my phone just prompted me for the update which I am applying now.  If it kills the 4G I will let you know.

• 11. Re: 4G not connecting?
    NICHOLAAAAS Expert

why dont you save that for one of the MANY threads on the battery?

• 12. Re: 4G not connecting?
    Dreading1 Regular Visitor

I'm on the line with Sprint tech support now for this same issue.  I've had to go through all the std. hoops - restart, soft reset, hard reset, all the software updates, etc. Nothing is working, it's still just scanning and I'm square in the middle of a solid 4G network.  It's clear no one has clued this rep in on this being a known issue.   This is such a huge waste of my time.  What are the magic words to get this escalated?

UPDATE: She finally said to take it back and get a replacement.  Not sure when this will be possible given that these are in very short supply and I had to be aggressive to get it in the first place.

Thanks for the responses, when I do get a replacement, I'll let folks know if it fixes anything.  My wife got one yesterday too, same issue.

Message was updated by: Dreading1

Message was edited by: Dreading1

• 13. Re: 4G not connecting?
    Shishanoob Regular Visitor

Yeah I've got the same issue.  Got mine in the mail on Tuesday, won't connect to 4G, just cycles through scanning, connecting, disconnected.  There are 2 other EVO's in my office, both can connect in just fine so it is definitely not a signal or network rollout issue.  I will try to find out what hardware version/fw/prl they're using and report back to see if there are any differences.

• 14. Re: 4G not connecting?
    dedo981 Newbie

Actually, after been on the phone for about an hour or so, it was the advanced tech that suggested I go to a Sprint Repair store for diagnostics. I made an appointment online detailing the problem and mentioning on was on phone with Advanced tech. The Sprint Repair tech said she was researching the question before I got there and just ordered me a replacement.  So maybe you can suggest that to the tech you are talking with, that you will take it into a repair store.  Or if you are still in your 30-day return period here is the number for the return/exchange 866-954-0492, though I would suspect they will tell you to take it to the store.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points