This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2010 3:13 PM by macuser10 RSS

What's up with Sprint coverage in Eastern South Carolina?

JUDYTANK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am a recent transplant to Hardeeville, SC from the Chicago area of IL.  Coverage in IL was terrific - no lost bars, no dropped calls, etc.  Moved down here, kept my IL cell phone number for business purposes, and all of a sudden the coverage stinks!  I can stand in one place and have 5 bars, next second, no bars, then maybe 2 or 3.  Make a call, get a good connection with 4 or 5 bars, next thing you know, call is dropped due to loss of connection.  And all of this will happen without moving an inch.  SPRINT - what are you doing to me?????  If you don't start providing better service, I'm going to have to switch carriers.  Do you just have no towers in the area?  Do you ever PLAN to put towers in the area????  Coverage on Hilton Head Island appears to be a little better thus far.  But out here closer to the interstate, it's just about useless.  How is one supposed to conduct any business with the phone when the coverage and dependability is so bad?

I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have, and would REALLY like to hear from Sprint!

• 1. Re: What's up with Sprint coverage in Eastern South Carolina?
    macuser10 Regular Visitor

It sounds like you could be on the edge of a cell towers range.  If you are on a high spot that could be causing problems too.  Having a trouble ticket created can result in this issue being corrected.  Sometimes the panels need to be adjusted a little bit.  I have had similar problems in other areas of the country.  It almost always just took a call to CS to create a trouble ticket and for it to be fixed.  The key is getting someone that cares enough about network issues to actually do something about it.  That IMO is the next area Sprint needs to work with the CS reps on.

The full bars can be misleading as the signal to you may be great but it could be far away.  The phone may not be able to put out enough power to reach the tower with the full bars.

Message was edited by: macuser10

• 2. Re: What's up with Sprint coverage in Eastern South Carolina?
    JUDYTANK Newbie

Thx, macuser10! Appreciate that info.  Gives me some ammo to go to CS with at least.  Their coverage map shows that I am in an area with "Good" service......not sure what planet they're on, but obviously not on mine.  At best, I'd give it "Fair", but definitely not "Good".

• 3. Re: What's up with Sprint coverage in Eastern South Carolina?
    macuser10 Regular Visitor

My best advice is to call into tech support and describe exactly what you are seeing.  If others are having similar problems in that area mention that to them.  They may ask for numbers to the other phones with the issue but if you don't have them it usually isn't a problem.  Tell them that you would like to see this fixed or you may have to go to another carrier to get reliable service.  They will probably have you go through the steps of reprogramming your phone and updating the PRL which will do nothing to fix the problem.

If you have other phones in the area that are experiencing the same problem they will be more likely to have the problem looked into.  They may offer to send an airave which plugs into high speed internet and broadcast signal in your home.  They work reasonably well but they aren't a substitute to them actually fixing the problem as the airave won't help much when you are out of range.

You will have to go through the motions before they look into it but be persistent about it and it will be looked into or a solution offered be it an airave or them letting you go due to poor coverage.  You may also look into a phone that has the ability to go into roaming only mode for when you are in that location until the problem is fixed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points