This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 10:50 AM by WriterJamie RSS

HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time

SRINIVASUG12 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time. I upgrade my HERO this afternoon to Android 2.1 since then almost every time I press either menu or red end button to unlock the screen my phone reboots. Any ideas what I need to do to fix this.

• 1. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    TheSassybear Newbie

Sadly I have the same issue.

• 2. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    Maravola Newbie

I'm having the same problem, though it does this randomly.  Got the upgrade on Thurs, May 20th and the problem started on the following Sunday, May 23rd.  Stopped doing it until today, Thurs, May 27th.

• 3. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    DCTEX777 Regular Visitor

Check out this thread.  You are not alone.

May 26, 2010

Random PowerOff/Reboot Problem after 2.1 Update Installed

• 4. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    SRINIVASUG12 Regular Visitor

I have yet to find the pattern. I think it is rebooting every other time I unlock it. Also happening when I hang up a call. Does anyone know how to go back to version 1.5. I would rather have old 1.5 than having my phone  reboot 100 times a day. This really sucks. I waited all these months to get an update and I wish I didn't get an update.

• 5. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    DCTEX777 Regular Visitor

The Sprint tech I talked to in the repair center yesterday said that it *may* be possible to go back to 1.5, but he was not sure.  He also said that the majority of people have been happy and experiencing no problems with 2.1 so I am hoping that we are all in the minority.  Everything else I have read online says that once you upgrade to 2.1, going back to 1.5 is not feasible.  I would contact your nearest Sprint repair center ASAP.

• 6. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    jtruxler Newbie

Just got off the phone with Sprint because I also had this issue.  It was 100% reproducible when ending a call.  If I start a call, wait for the screen to turn off, then end the call (either on my phone or on the phone on the opposite end), then hit any hardware button (the end call button, the back button, the home button, etc.), my phone pauses for a second then the screen turns on to the HTC "Quietly Brilliant" (nice irony there...) boot-up image.

When I called Sprint they first had me talk to Customer Service, then to Tech Support, then to Advanced Tech Support, then he talked to his supervisor. They're sending me a new phone so I'm happy with Sprint at the moment.  I consider this a hardware or software QA problem so for that I blame HTC (quietly brilliant...).

I originally got my hero in Nov. of '09 as well. Interesting coincidence there....

Rob

• 7. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    don624 Newbie

I hope it really is new. I upgraded all 5 of my lines to the Hero. Worst mistake EVER. All 5 are horrible. After many hours of stress Sprint said they would replace my 5 phones. Sound really nice of them huh? I got my phones in the mail today and i started shooting fire out of my ears I was so mad. The phones look like a dog chewed on them. When I get time I'm going to post a pic of them so everyone can see what kind of coustomer service Sprint has become. I have been with Sprint for 14 years. I am really close to leaving them. I can not belive they would send me these phones.

Message was edited by: don624

• 8. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    WriterJamie Regular Visitor

I don't understand why Sprint assumes the problems with the Hero are hardware problems. If these were hardware problems, why would they only start with an upgrade to 2.1? There are *many* angry HTC Hero users who have been posting in these forums, the HTC forums, and other forums around the Internet. Check out http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/82618-2-1-problems-issues-quirks.html to see some of the common problems.

Like others, Sprint also offered to replace my phone instead of addressing the software problems. When I asked if the Sprint techs at my local store would be able to fix the software problems the Sprint rep responded that he has an HTC Hero running 2.1 and has no problems at all, his logic apparently being that if one guy at Sprint doesn't have the problem then it must not exist.

I refuse to exchange my phone because Sprint will not guarantee that I get a new phone and not a refurbished one. I paid a lot of money for a new phone and if that new phone is defective, I expect another new phone. Sprint shouldn't have the luxury of selling defective merchandise and then exchanging it for lower-quality merchandise. That's a shady business practice, in my opinion.

Don624, please post those pics. Then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General of your state.

• 9. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    don624 Newbie

Here are some pics of the replacement phones Sprint sent me. If I would have activated these phones and had a problem with them in the future the Sprint reps would not belive they were sent to me in this condition. The one even shows water damage. I guess this is how you get  treated after 14 years of service.

IMAG0081.jpgIMAG0079.jpgIMAG0078.jpgIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0076.jpg

• 10. Re: HTC HERO 2.1 Upgrade Phone reboots all the time
    WriterJamie Regular Visitor

It looks like Sprint doesn't even make the smallest effort to ensure their refurbished phones meet even the most basic standards of being acceptable. I can't believe they actually sent you a phone with the water detection sticker showing that the phone was exposed to water. This is what will get you denied support at a tech center, so why is Sprint sending these phones out??

The fact that Sprint did this to you, in my opinion, means that Sprint is beyond being reasonable. I'd take it up with your state Attorney General and even contact Consumerist.com. Sprint is really crossing a line here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...