This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2010 8:42 PM by maleaha101 RSS

My Horrible LG LOTUS!

Jeffb358 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I've had my LG Lotus for 2 months(never been dropped or in water) and about 2 weeks ago, the screen went completely black and does not want to come on at all. I have Total Service and Repair on all of my phones and now Sprint tells me that I have to pay a deductible, but they can't fix my phone. Sprint also tells me that I have to buy a new phone full price if I want to buy a new one. This is so unfair. I hope I can talk to a real customer representative and not the automative system!

• 1. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    klfroilan Newbie

I feel your pain. These phones are a piece of garbage. I'm on my third one that just died this morning. They know the screens on these phones are bad (that came straight from the mouth of the guy who fixed phone #2) but they are unwilling to work with customers who are now stuck with them. They will charge me to get a different kind of phone and then make me extend my contract. For me, it's almost worth going without a cell phone for a while just to get out of the nightmare of this phone and Sprint.

• 2. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    Jeffb358 Regular Visitor

OMG! IKR. I think I'll just let my contract go because this is clearly not called for.

• 3. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    dshoem01 Gold Expert

If your phone doesn't show physical damage, the Sprint service location will cover the manufacturer's warranty for mechanical and electrical failure for one year frodue to normal wear and tear.  m the date of your device's original activation.   Most manufacturers  provide a 12-month limited warranty to cover against manufacturer  defects....this does not cover for physical damage or failure

• 4. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    klfroilan Newbie

The problem is not getting the phone replaced. They have done that every time I took it in...however instead of replacing it with a new phone, they replaced it with a refurbished phone. I complained loudly the first time this happened to no avail. I either had to take the refurbished phone or pay full price for a new one. The exact same thing happened with the 2nd phone, another trip back to get ANOTHER refurbished phone. This third phone is the one that just died....beyond the 12 month warranty.

Bottom line, the Lotus phones are garbage and there's plenty of disgruntled owners around the internet who will attest to it. I can understand if a phone has a problem, but to have THREE phones of the same kind ALL fail! Sprint has no business selling these phones.

Also, I have noticed lately that many people I know start to have trouble with their phones between the 1 and 2 year mark. This applies to a wide variety of manufacturers. I'm firmly convinced that carriers like Sprint simply don't care if the phone breaks and the customer is unhappy....because when this happens, guess what, in order for us to get the promotional price on a new phone, we have to extend our contract (or pay to get out of the old one). That's a win for the company that makes the phone (you buy another one) and a win for the carrier (they get more money through contract extension)...the only person who loses out is the customer. Nice business model, don't you think?

• 5. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    Starzzfell Regular Visitor

Oh wow! I'm a little concerned now. I just switched from T-Mobile to Sprint one week ago. I had moved from one state to another and the coverage with T-Mobile was just awful! I had the Android phone called the "My Touch" by HTC. I loved the ability to personalize the phone, but unfortunately I 'needed' a phone that could be a PHONE when I needed to call someone, or when someone needed to call me! Being in a new place, my phone working was, of course, very important to me. It would drop calls almost every single time! The sound was awful! I talked to customer service several times, and the most they would do is send me a new SIM card, which of course did no good. Yes, I did have the phone "repaired", but it did not help! The time for change came when during an emergency situation, the call dropped three times before I got through. I had 9 months left in that contract, but I couldn't wait anymore. I called and told them that fee or no fee, I had to leave since they could not fix my problem. I had been promised good coverage in this area before I moved! But it didn't matter, I didn't get good service no matter where I went. The battery also went down about every 4 hours, and that was running task killer! Well, I had met someone I worked with who had this cute little red phone! She said it was a SPRINT phone and she just loved it. She had nothing but good things to say. So that's what I decided to do. I've had my little Red Lotus Elite for a week and it's a nice phone! It's a good cross between a smart phone and just a great cell phone. It isn't overloaded with apps, but it does have the ability to access Twitter,Facebook etc from the home page. I like the little carousel of tiles, that you can pick and choose. That said? I am a little used to having more apps to choose from. For example I have Pandora One on my home computer, and also had it on my last Android phone(the My Touch I spoke of). But I can't get Pandora on this phone(sigh). Still the clarity is fantastic! I have yet to have one dropped call, even when the bars drop down to one! I live in basically a Hilly Country, so in some areas the bars would go down. But on  my old T-Mobile phone, the service just died, period. I had no service at all. But with this little Lotus? I get amazing service! I have been impressed with it,even though it's only been a week. But with all the things you have been saying on this thread? I'm nervous! Should I bring this phone back and find a different one with Sprint? I do like the service that I've been experiencing. I know everyone loves the Iphone's right now, but I've always gone for things that stand out a bit, phones that "I" like, and not just because everyone around me is buying one. I love the style, the design, the call clarity and the TV function is fantastic too. I was thinking of upgrading my radio app to Sirius, and maybe even getting some premium channels on the TV option. I like how the camera lens is double sided, so you can take self photos or photos of your friends or scenery, depending on if the phone is open or closed. I really think that was a smart design! I wish the camera was a tiny bit better in quality, but it is a cell phone. I already have a really nice camera! So I use my cell phone camera for spur of the moment pics, and so far? They have really come out well! Okay, so being a newbie. I'm really confused! I already bought a great stereo headset with an adaptor for the smaller 2.5 that is required for listening in private to your tunes. Was it really a repair person that said the screens were garbage? I don't want to be stuck with a phone for at least a year, if I'm going to end up replacing it with a refurbished phone repeatedly(at $50 bucks a pop). I already had to pay a huge fee for coming over to Sprint, because I 'needed' a decent phone that would be there for business,personal or emergency situations! Any opinions for me?

new girl in town...

• 6. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    klfroilan Newbie

I did not have the Elite, mine was the "first generation" Lotus phone. I got excellent reception on mine, even in buildings. It was indeed a great phone....when the screen worked. But without the screen, it's not much use. I'm one of those people who uses my cell phone to make a receive calls and to text and that's pretty much it, I have no need for the bells and whistles. So I can't speak for the other stuff. Bottom line, the problem with the Lotus phones is the reliability of the screen. If your screen goes out, then I suggest you move to a new phone. I went through three of them in 18 months, which is completely unacceptable to me.

• 7. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    AMYAVALYN Newbie

Same here! My phone is 15 mos old & the screen is dead. It's past the warranty so I don't know what to do. I have seen tons of complaints about this phone. I really want to leave Sprint & go back to VirginMobile but I still have 9 mos. on my contract. This is really frustrating because the only reason I came back to Sprint after 5 yrs was because I thought the Lotus was so cool. I won't be back to Sprint after my contract is up, that's for sure. I've had nothing but problems since I came back.

• 8. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    1Kris Newbie

I have not had any issues yet with my lotus...except the keys are so small i type extra letters in my text responses, and the letters are wearing off, it is only 3 or 4 months old and not worth the fifty to replace the minor flaws with it at this time.  But I will comment on Sprint and the roll of the dice to get a decent customer service agent.  If you stick to your fight eventually they will issue you some sort of credit to get around their proceedures they say they have to follow.  Make sure you follow up, request a manager, keep calling back, they keep track of all calls and will make a decision once they review how often you have called to complain.  I did get to cancel a phone early without a fee due to the fact that i continually complained(and hung up on a rep)..they called back and "fixed" the problem. I will say I wish I had gotten the rumor touch instead of lotus only because it is hard to txt on it.

• 9. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    smallwood1965 Newbie

fwiw, i've had a purple LG Lotus for two years now and have mostly loved it, though I should add that my needs are pretty basic: i actually use my phone to make calls, check email and send a few texts per day.  Only reason I'm trolling this thread is to gauge performance of the new Lotus Elite now that I'm due for an upgrade.  The one complaint I have about the Lotus is the gps.  When I've tried to use it it's been too clunky and slow to be of much use, and there's something off on the way its calibrated with the Lotus screen, so sometimes you can't see the whole image--not good when you're trying to view a map.  I'm tempted to step up to a "smartphone" but all the complaints I read about all of them--blackberry, palm, and android--are scaring me off.  Just don't have time for all the drama they seem to bring.

• 10. Re: My Horrible LG LOTUS!
    maleaha101 Newbie

heres what ive had...

I got my first lotus in may of 2009, worked great till October of 09 and suddently after a trip up north, it died. i plugged it in, didnt charge, and it was fully dead. i left it plugged in for three hours than it mysteriouslly started to charge. it continued to work, if it didnt die till it turned off. i tried it again for the beans of it, and it never came on again. I got it replaced, and now tonight i just did the phones claim and getting my new one tomarrow. problems with this one? it will charge, its just touchy, the screen is FALLING out and the vibration just stopped working this morning. thank goodness im JUST TWO WEEKS under my one year warrenty... so, when i get the chance, bye BYE sprint.

Message was edited by: maleaha101

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...