This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2010 7:29 PM by Tlalocman RSS

international text messaging

ssimon0308 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I know my mom has unlimited texting for her, my, and my younger brothers' phone. But will international texting charge us the 20 cent fee per message?

• 1. Re: international text messaging
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Yes, each message SENT TO and, alas, RECEIVED FROM an international number will cost 20¢.  If you'd like to learn more about international text messaging, please see the following links (if you haven't already :-)  ):

Claudia

• 2. Re: international text messaging
    Tlalocman Regular Visitor

Not necessarily, unless you change your phone for a Nextel phone, they won't charge you additional for international text messaging.  Make sure the phone is not a hybrid phone, because those run on both, Sprint’s CDMA and Nextel’s IDEN network, and Sprint will nail you on any international text message; thank God there are only two of those models. But yes,if you have a Nextel phone you will never have to pay for any international text message, as long as you have text messaging package in your account (300 mssg, 1000, or unlimited).  Another nice feauture of having a Nextel phone is that you can send text messages while traveling abroad without paying a cent more!  and it works in almost every country with almost any carrier (Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, etc.).

• 3. Re: international text messaging
    ssimon0308 Newbie

I don't think my phone is a hybrid after looking through the store. I was never a Nextel customer. Are you sure you didn't sign up for a speciic plan? It says Claudipo is and Admin, and he/she said that I will be charged.

Message was edited by: ssimon0308

Message was edited by: ssimon0308

• 4. Re: international text messaging
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Hi ssimon0308,

The Rant is a Sprint phone, which runs solely on Sprint's CDMA network, and you will be charged 20 cents per message for both sending and receiving.  I know this from my own experience as I have a CDMA phone and happen to send a lot of text messages overseas. :-)  Also, text messages, sent or  received, internationally do not pull from any text  messaging plan.  This applies to both Sprint, hybrid (voice/data runs on the Sprint network, Direct Connect on the Nextel's iDEN network) and Nextel phones.

Claudia

• 5. Re: international text messaging
    ssimon0308 Newbie

Thank you. My friend tried to text and call me, but I only recieved her call. I don't have many minutes, so we'll probably just stick to instant messaging.

• 6. Re: international text messaging
    Tlalocman Regular Visitor

This is incorrect Claudia, only Sprint phones (or Nextel hybrid phones) running CDMA will charge you for international text messages.

I have been a Nextel user for years and my plan doesn’t even include text messages; I had to add the 300 messages for $5. Out of those 300 messages, about 80% are sent and received internationally to Mexico, Chile, Argentina Brazil, Venezuela and Japan. I first found out about this because I had the same question that “ssimon0308” has, so at that time I called the Nextel International division (now NII Holdings, Inc.) and informed me. When the merger with Sprint occurred, I called again and told me that as long I keep using Nextel phones I should be fine.

The Hybrid phones are the “Buzz” and “Blend” models: ic402, ic602, and ic502. Avoid those and any Sprint phone if you don’t want to pay 20c per international message. Any other Nextel phone should be good.

Message was edited by: fenava

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...