This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2010 3:30 PM by yungmunay RSS

Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?

BUGSEY88 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Will an unactivated no plan EVO 4G connect to McDonald's free Wi-Fi?

Can I use this phone this phone without any activation or contract to connect via Wi-Fi to McDonald's & Wendy's free wifi spots?
Please note, when connecting you need to confirm acceptance of terms & conditions on a
browser login screen in order to gain web access.

Much apprecited, Bugs.

• 1. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    GenocidalAtom Expert

I do not believe you need a sprint service plan to use the non sprint access functions.  ie: wifi, market, etc....  Mc'Donalds wifi is not so much different from any other wifi like you' have at home except that it redirects your access to the mcdonalds page to get your agreement on using their network.  once you agree, it should work as normal...  I've used their wi-fi before and had no issues.

• 2. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    BUGSEY88 Newbie

Thank you for this answer.

Was your phone activated at the time of using the free Wi-Fi?

I need to know if an unactivated phone tied to a service provider would have functioning Wi-Fi.

Very much appreciate the help! ....Bugs

• 3. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    GenocidalAtom Expert

Yes my phone was activated but I would be positive that wifi will work without activation.  You can, afterall, purchase the phone without a service plan (at full price of course).  Doing this would give you the phones capability without the ones that rely on sprints carrier services... e.g. phone calls, text messaging, etc.  You could, for instance, use it to make DATA based calls or text msgs across your wi-fi or video calls using the appropriate applications, of course, among the other features that do not require sprint.  You would not, however, be able to use SPRINT navigation though I believe you could still use Google's...or Sprint TV... etc.

Alternatively, IF you can find a sprint store with Evo's.  Ask them to show you how to use the phone's wi-fi PRE-activation.

Message was edited by: suiris

• 4. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    cityw5 Expert

Interesting question.  One might wonder why you have an unactivated Evo?  I am sure this is not the case with you, but since you can't really activate the Evo on any other reputable network, stolen and missing Evo's could pop up on E Bay, and unsuspecting people who buy them are then wondering what to do when Sprint says they can't activate the phone. I am not accusing, just wondering when I see questions like this.

• 5. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    GenocidalAtom Expert

I could see owning an unactivated one pretty simply...  You could no longer afford/want the monthly fee long term, switched carriers to pick up a different phone such as maybe an iPhone on AT&T and dont want/need/cant afford TWO fees... so you opt out of your contract, pay the fee and there you go... a "no longer" activated evo...

There has been discussion of lost/stolen evo's on the board here...  Apparently they "can" be activated through some sort of hacks.. changing the ESN or what-not...  but whatever the reason...  it's a great phone! lol

• 6. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    cityw5 Expert

The screen name of "bugsy" does not support the innocent use theory

• 7. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    BillE_Austin Regular Visitor

I would assume you can use anything that does not use the Sprint network.  So when your contract is up, you could still use the wifi features.  Google maps would work IF there was a wi-fi connection.  Normally it uses the Sprint network.  In any case, I KNOW it WILL still be able to make 911 calls.

• 8. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    wasbakntyme Bronze Expert

suiris wrote:

I could see owning an unactivated one pretty simply...  You could no longer afford/want the monthly fee long term, switched carriers to pick up a different phone such as maybe an iPhone on AT&T and dont want/need/cant afford TWO fees... so you opt out of your contract, pay the fee and there you go... a "no longer" activated evo...

Yes, that makes a lot of sense...you can no longer afford the monthly fee, so you pay a $200 Early Termination Fee in order to switch to AT&T and pay a higher monthly fee for an iphone...and being cash strapped, instead of selling the old phone, you want to keep it just to use on wifi...  very plausible.

• 9. Re: Free Wi-Fi access for unactivated EVO at McDonald's, Wendy's etc?
    yungmunay Newbie

the only problem with that is you need internet access to log on. the phone is not going to let you go to the settings and turn the wifi on. so basically if you ever loose service wit sprint or whatever the reason is .... you can use the wifi, especially if you have WEP in your house or no somebody that has enter the password and then you are connected. not all wifi signals let you browse the web. for instance linksys sometimes it will show connected but the phone doesnt recognize it as a wifi signal. the reason for that because the signal is limited. my phone stays connected thru wifi. until the permanently deactivate your service you can even still send pictures. now if you want to text for free via wifi ... try google voice! www.google.com/voice

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points