This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2011 5:42 PM by dwilson RSS

transfering contacts to new evo phone

BATHSHEBA831 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

can anyone help me in transfering my contacts to my new evo phone................ i have been to 2 sprint stores and NO ONE knows anything? how is this possible, you buy a phone for 500 dollars its all over the tv and news, its on back order for months and you finally get it and cant use it.  Sprint cant seem to even train employees on how to use it!!!!  Never mind that your contacts are your most imporant part of your phone!!!!!! And its not anywhere on the intrenet.........

Message was edited by: bathsheba88

• 1. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    Levi4u Master

The Sprint stores should of been able to transfer your contacts for you. What phone are you coming from? Do you have your contacts stored any place else besides your phone? If you can export your contacts to your PC in .csv format, You can sign into your gmail/google account on your PC, Import your contacts(.csv) and from your phone when you add your gmail account it will sync all your contacts over, Google calenders also will sync over.

• 2. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    x-ray_dude Newbie

Hi, I just took delivery of an EVO and was able to sync my contacts (all 1500) between the phone and Outlook 2007.  My only issue is that when I search for a contact the only option I have is to search by name.  I would prefer to search by "Organization".  I have been a blackberry user for the last 6 years so all I had to do is type in the contact name or business name and I got what I was looking for.  Is there an app. that will solve this issue, or am I just missing something?

• 3. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    dwilson Valued Member

The way that i transfered my contacts was over bluetooth.  The phone i came from was a Samsung M500 so just about any phone should be able to do it.

• 4. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    x-ray_dude Newbie

After trying a few things, I found that i can use Google Search for People to search my contacts like I use to on the Blackberry.

• 5. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    TONIA2323 Newbie

I have the instinct now and I'm trying to transfer my contacts via bluetooth, but it keeps failing. It should be simple right? When I called tech support they told me I have to go to the store, but I dont have even 5 minutes through the rest of the week to go before they close. I really want to use my phone!!!

Please help

• 6. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    Levi4u Master

Since you cannot get them to transfer using bluetooth, Visiting a store would be easiest. But there is a way.

Once you deactivated your Instinct you lose access to "Sprints Mobile Sync" You could go to your account page and reactivate your Instinct,www.sprint.com/activate Log into Mobile Sync, Export your contacts(.csv)to yur PC, Take .csv and Import it to Google/Gmail. Go back to the activation area and reactivate your new Evo. Then once you add your google account to the Evo the contacts will sync over.

• 7. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    TONIA2323 Newbie

I'll try the csv, but dont know if it'll work right for me. I didnt bother activating the evo yet because i want everything set transfer first before hand. Any way that photos on the card can be moved too or am i just better off emailing myself and uploading from there?

• 8. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    TONIA2323 Newbie

Ok...last night i created the csv file of my contacts before i deactivated my phone so thats all ready. Now, you've said to upload it to my google account. The only way i thought to do that was to email myself the file however it wont let me click on the attachment through the phone. I'm starting to feel like an idiot because i'm not normally this technologically challenged! Can someone please tell me what to do like i'm a 5yr old? If i cant pick up on that, then i give.

thanks

• 9. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    Levi4u Master

On your PC sign into your Gmail account, On the left hand side will be a link to "Contacts" Select it, On that page select "More Actions>Import" Browse to where on your PC you have the .csv file saved and select it, Then "Import"  OK, Now your contacts are on your gmail/google account.

Now on your phone go to, Menu>Settings>Accounts & Sync>Select your Google/Gmail account>Select Sync Contacts>Sync Now. That's it, Your contacts should now start syncing to your phone.

• 10. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    Levi4u Master

Oh, And to transfer your pictures from the Instinct, Plug the Instinct into your PC and navigate to the DCIM folder, Copy/paste them to a folder on your PC, Then Plug your Evo into your PC, Select Disc Drive, Navigate to the DCIM, Copy/Paste your pictures saved on your PC into it.

• 11. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    TONIA2323 Newbie

That sounds easy enough. THANK YOU!! Hey let me ask you something about this phone. Is there a way to have a constant internet connection or am i only able to use it when i'm in a wifi spot? i dont have wifi at work, nor is it in stores, etc. I can't get my emails throughout the day without it and my work acct is linked to this. Other phones, it didnt matter, i'd click intrenet and i was good as long as i had a service signal to the phone.

• 12. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    Levi4u Master

Yep, Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Network(CHECK)

Also, Menu>Settings>Wireless & Netowrks>Mobile Networks>Select Data Roaming and Enable Always-On Mobile Data.

• 13. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    LESHAM Newbie

How did you transfer your contacts from outlook to the evo? I'm having fits and need to get them moved quickly.

• 14. Re: transfering contacts to new evo phone
    dwilson Valued Member

There are a couple different ways.  One would be to use HTC Sync which requires you to plug your phone into your computer via usb.  I have not used this method.  The other, which i have done is to go into Outlook and export your contacts to a csv file.  Then take that file and go into gmail online and to the contact section and import that csv file.  Gmail contacts will sync down to your android phone if you have not disabled the sync functionality. If you need more specific instructions, let me know what version of Outlook you have.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points