This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2011 3:01 PM by beliving RSS

LG Optimus S issues

optimususer427 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else receiving errors from the SD card on their LG Optimus S?  I randomly get "preparing sd card" and also the phone sometims says the card is removed and it is not.  Just obtained this phone Saturday and have not added any apps since receving it.

• 1. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    NUHKAX71 Newbie

I was able to fix this pretty easily.  After some research it has to do with the card being formatted at the factory.  Quickest way is go into settings.  Then choose SD Card and Phone Storage.  Unmount the card, and then format the card.  Once done remount.  You should be good to go.  Since I had apps on my card I did it a bit different.  I took my card out of the phone.  Used the adapter that came with the phone and mounted it on my PC.  I copied all the files off of it into a folder on my desktop.  I then formatted the card through windows but used FAT instead of FAT32.  Once it was done I copied my files back and put the card in the phone.  No issues since.

• 2. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    JOELVDS Newbie

I have attempted to reformat my card on the phone, on my windows 7 computer with quick format, and on my pc with a full format using FAT16.  After each one I still have the card unmounting.  It needs either the card to be removed and put back in to remount it or sometime a complete restart.  But it always recognizes the card after a restart.  I am assuming this is a software issue.  I have contacted both LG and Sprint and neither say they are aware of the issue.  LG said I could send it in for repair and they would check it out (I don't think I want to be without my phone for weeks while that would be going one).  Sprint said I should just go exchange it for another one since I am in my 30 days and give that a shot.  I sure do like this phone, but with the limited internal storage I have all the apps that can be on the SD card on there as I ran out of internal space for apps alread.  So the SD card needs to be functional for this phone to be any good.

• 3. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    PERMA23 Newbie

I'm having the same problem, i formated the SD card via the phone, not on the computer and its been happening less, but still happens, but not as often..

ALSO: my wife has an old samsung instinct hd, and used her 4 gb memory card, and she has never had the problem, i'm thinking maybe its the card and not the phone.

Message was edited by: PERMA23

• 4. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    JAGGAR85 Newbie

I have been having the same issue it is getting really annoying i like the phone except for this issue i have tried talking to sprint and the only thing they say is exchange the phone for a new one i have done this and still the same issue.  also i have 2 other people in my family that also got this phone and they are having the same problem

• 5. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    NUHKAX71 Newbie

Try a different Micro SD card if you have one.  Maybe the issue is with the batch of SD cards they used.

• 6. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    JOELVDS Newbie

I know many people on androidcentral.com and androidforums.com have stated they have tried other sd cards that they have had with little resolution to the problem.  I ordered another SD card that should arrive next week to give it a try.  If that doesn't work I will exchange the phone after that to try another one.  If that doesn't work, I guess I will either just deal with it or go back to my palm pre

• 7. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    NUHKAX71 Newbie

Since I formatted my card, I haven't had any issues.  I think I formatted it on Monday night.

• 8. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    JOELVDS Newbie

So I finally got around to exchanging my phone at best buy.  I went to a best buy 100 miles from the one I got my first phone at (only because that is where I was this weekend).  I didn't even make it home from best buy before the sd card unmounted and wouldn't re-mount.  It definitely happens when turning the screen back on.  It has never unmounted while using the phone for extended periods it is always when I turn the screen back on it appears at the top that it is unmounting and then normally shows some error.  Then going to the SD settings it doesn't recognize that the SD is even in there so I can't just hit the remount.  I have to either pull the SD card and put it back in, restart, or sometimes if I just turn of the screen for a while.  When I turn it back on it will show preparing the SD card and remount it again.  I am 95% certain it is a software problem with the screen being off for a period of time that it is rechecking the SD card for something.  I guess I will wait this out a bit and see how annoying this is to keep going on.  I LOVE this phone so I will not be happy if I have to return it for good in the 30 day return period.  Lets hope someone at LG is working on fixing this one b/c they have a great phone it would suck to have it ruined by a small software glitch

• 9. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    beliving Bronze Expert

I posted this in another topic.  Sorry if you've already seen it!

Perhaps there is something wrong with the SD card?  Did you use your old SD card?  The problem with SD cards is that they are limited use items.  If you have a 2 GB SD card and keep it 90% full with regular use, then you might not get 2 years out of it.  If you keep it at 50% use, then it might be three years.  Thus, it is not a good idea to put high use applications on the SD card because you will wear out the card quickly.  Also, if you have every tried to "defrag" an SD card, it also reduces the life because it writes data throughout the card.  To increase the lifespan of an SD card, reduce usage.  The phone's memory design does not have the same limitation.  I think the basic rule of thumb is that you can write over the entire SD card 10,000 times before it's completely dead.  However, I would think that you would notice performance issues before then.

I recommend purchasing an 8 GB class 6 micro SD card, and seeing if that works better.  That's what I'm currently using, and have not experienced the SD card unmounting.  Please try to get the class 6, and not just any 8 GB card.

On the other hand, perhaps my card is unmounting without my knowledge.  Do you get any notification that the card is unmounted?

• 10. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    emurmur Newbie

My daughter is having the same problem on her LG Optimus S - the card unmounts.  Also, it seems to have erased the contents of the card.  I"ve tried two different cards with no success.  I looked this problem up in the knowledge base and it says this is a known problem that will be addressed in a 'future' software update.

Also, the phone does not appear to mount as a USB drive on my Windows Vista machine - it searches for a driver and never finds one.  I do not think the phone should require a driver (my Evo 4G does not require a driver).  This may be a related issue to the SD card problem.

• 11. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    jskinman Newbie

My daughters phone had the same USB issue.  I have the same phone and when I plug it into the usb port on my cpu the phone gives me the option to turn on usb sync but her's wouldn't and windows cannot find a driver.

Here is how to fix it.

Go to Settings, choose Applications, then choose Developement at the bottom.  Be sure they USB debugging is not checked.  If it is it will not allow you to connect via usb to your windows machine.

As for the SD issue, We have 3 of these phones in our house and they all do it.  WE haven't tried formating yet, but I susspected it was a software issue as someone stated in an earlier post.

• 12. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    CATHERINE5126 Newbie

Yeah I had that problem as well. I ended up swapping the card out with a 4 gig one that I bought for my Samsung Exclaim. No error messages since.

• 13. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    HOLLYWOOD6913 Newbie

I have been having the same issue. I went and traded my phone and am having the same issue with the new phone and new card. So, it isn't the card.

• 14. Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues
    beliving Bronze Expert

HOLLYWOOD6913 wrote:

I have been having the same issue. I went and traded my phone and am having the same issue with the new phone and new card. So, it isn't the card.

With the same logic, one could also say it isn't the phone, either.  That just leaves the operator...

(That is supposed to be a mildy humorous jab at selective reasoning.  I do not actually believe the operator is at fault.)

Really, though, I hope somebody figures this out for you all.  I had the Samsung Moment, so I understand the frustration of a buggy phone.  I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem on my Optimus.  At least with the Moment, all phones could reproduce the bugs given the steps. Is there any way to consistently reproduce the problem?

Message was edited by: beliving (added text in green)

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points