This discussion is archived
1 9 10 11 12 13 42 Previous Next 622 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 3:00 PM by dshoem01 Go to original post RSS
  • 150. Re: android 2.2 update
    RussD Expert
    Currently Being Moderated

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/01/android-fragmentatio/

Android 2.2 Froyo now most used version but Gingerbread looms

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 at 5:32 PM PST

android distribution Android 2.2 Froyo now most used version but Gingerbread looms

It’s the first of the month and Google has released its customary state of Android charts and this month finds that Android 2.2 Froyo is the most-used version of the platform.

Froyo is being used by 43.4% of users, while Android 2.1 now has 39.6%. This means that 83% of users are now on Eclair or higher and won’t be locked out of apps like Twitter. Not all is right in Android land though, as 16.9% are still on a version below 2.0.

The high-profile update of device like the Droid X and Droid Incredible has helped the Froyo adoption numbers but we’re about to see some more fragmentation issues with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

We know that Gingerbread will be coming in the next few weeks and it will probably be accompanied by the Samsung Nexus S. One of the major features of this update will be support for NFC technology for mobile payments but that will also require specialized hardware within the phone.

This means that devices like the Motorola Droid X likely won’t get the main feature of the software update. Google has to keep pushing its software forward but this will inevitably lead to more cries of fragmentation within this ecosystem.

We also know that Android Gingerbread will bring new user interface tweaks including a new lock-screen animation. I’d also hope for overall speed improvements and an improved browsing experience.

The 2.3 version should be hitting the streets very soon but there’s no way to tell how long it will take to get to older devices. The Froyo update took a while for devices with custom UIs and Samsung Galaxy S owners in the United States are still anxiously awaiting some Froyo goodness.

It looks like we’ll have to play the waiting game again with Gingerbread. And then we all have Honeycomb to **** after too.

• 151. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    flipper98 Regular Visitor

i also have the galaxy s (epic)....and i have been scouring the internet, and ive found places but i hit a dead end cuz right now my wifi is turned off at my house ..try downloading klies...search it, its an app from sprint that will give u up to the minute updates, also download skyfire...from the market its my favorite browser to use cause ;u can toggle between mobile and desktop sites and it supports some flash! anyway im stuck in the middle of downloading klies...let me know if it works...i should know by the weekend one way or the other...i want froyo cause u need it to play the new rush poker app...unless u kno anther...thank u...flipper98

• 152. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

http://www.wirelessandmobilenews.com/2010/12/android-22-froyo-tops-android-21-says-android-devs.html

Android 2.2 Froyo Tops Android 2.1 Says Android Devs

androidchart.pngOn the eve of the release of Android Gingerbread, the majority of Android users are running Android 2.2 with 43.4%.  Android 2.1 Eclair is at 39.6% making a total of 77% smartphones or tablets running Android 2.1 or newer.

Samsung had previously reported that Android 2.2 would be made available to its more-than 5 million Galaxy S line of Android smartphones and owners are still waiting. When Samsung Galaxy S phones are updated the total number of Android 2.2 smartphones will grow significantly.

FroYo  Android 2.2 is faster than previous versions of Android (faster than iPad too) and has close to twenty improvements that include supporting Adobe Flash 10.1, MS Exchange support, and a uniifed inbox.  FroYo  Android 2.2 offers multiple e-mail account support, camera improvements, a better browser, and a re-designed calendar. A major improvement is the ability to store apps on the microSD card, allowing for more space for apps as well as USB tethering to use the Android smartphone as a modem/hotspot.

• 153. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    tdgreer1203 Regular Visitor

There is a petition set up at:

http://www.theandroidera.com/petition/

Please sign it so it can be sent quickly to Sprint and Samsungs customer service and technical support departments.

• 154. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    Bleegonzo Valued Member

THIS IS NOT SPRINT!!! If you guys would read you would se that NO GALAXY S PHONES IN THE US HAVE THE UPDATE!!!!!

• 155. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

But Sprint can put a little bit of corporate heat on Samsung (as should the other carriers) to get this addressed quickly.

• 156. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    Bleegonzo Valued Member

There is not an issue to address... This is the way Samsung planned the roll out. There has never been a release date. They have said for months now that it would be released in the US by the end of the year.  So I dnt know what you guys are petitioning.

• 157. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

I think folks are beginning to doubt that it will be released this year.  The days are counting down and even the Samsung Galaxy S support folks have been quoting "should be by the end of the year."

• 158. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    Bleegonzo Valued Member

Right... So if we dont get it by the end of the year then there is something to complain about. But if you go to a restaraunt you dont complain that the food is cold before you get it. So y be upset because it "might" be released later than planned.

• 159. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

I don't think they were sending the petition in immediately, collect some signatures over the next few weeks and if it doesn't come out on time, then turn the petition in 

• 160. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

And all without the Android 2.2 update...

Galaxy S Propels Samsung to Number 1 Android Handset Maker in US

Posted by: Scott Webster

The figures are in and it looks like the third quarter (Q3 '10) was very kind to both Samsung and Android.  Gartner has just reported that the handset manufacturer accounted for 32.1 percent of all Android smart phones sold in the United States over the previous three month period.  That's up quite a bit from Q4 '09 where they had a shade over 9 percent of the market.

In a related note, the Galaxy S series of phones has now eclipsed the three million shipped marker, thanks to no less than six wireless providers offering a model in the flagship line.

“I want to personally thank everyone who selected a Galaxy S smartphone as their mobile handset of choice. Neither of these wonderful accomplishments would have been possible without the loyalty and support of our customers,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy S portfolio has played a significant role in Samsung’s success in 2010 and we are extremely excited to show you what products, services and innovations we have in store for the U.S. market in 2011.”

• 161. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    ACE3740 Regular Visitor

Ya know I paid good money for the device itself and also for the extra monthly charge for this "superior" phone.... I don't have my Froyo update yet which they keep saying we are going to get and I don't even have 4G coverage in my area yet that they said I would have by now.  THIS IS ALL JUST A BIG PILE OF FREAKIN HORSE ******!!!   (Now I feel a little better)

Message was edited by: dshoem01

• 162. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

They love selling them, wish they would put as many resources on keeping the flagship phones updated.  Read this story:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20024529-17.html?tag=cnetRiver

December 3, 2010 8:04 AM PST

Samsung ships 3 million Galaxy S smartphones

Four of the seven Galaxy S smartphone models.

(Credit: Samsung)

Samsung's Galaxy S smartphones have reached another milestone

The company said today it has now shipped 3 million Galaxy S smartphones. The figure comprises sales of the seven models of Galaxy S smartphones, including the Fascinate, Captivate, and Vibrant, currently available from all the major carriers. The announcement comes about three months after Samsung said it had shipped 1 million of the phones, which run on the Android operating system.

Samsung also noted today that it plans to upgrade the phones to Android 2.2 "in the near future." It wouldn't provide an exact time frame for the update.

On a related note, reports have been swirling that Samsung has sold 1 million units of its Galaxy Tab tablet. However, a Samsung representative told CNET today that the company has not officially announced sales or shipments of its tablet. The representative also would not confirm a report last month that claimed Samsung had sold 600,000 Galaxy Tabs.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab features a 7-inch display and runs Android 2.2. The device has been on store shelves for about three weeks.

• 163. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    RussD Expert

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-mobile-earns-top-android-smartphone-provider-spot-q3-2010

Samsung Mobile earns top Android smartphone provider spot for Q3 2010

Posted on Friday, Dec 3, 2010 by Chris Parsons

It's been a whirlwind year for Samsung Mobile. The success of the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones has been phenomenal with over 3 million units shipped across major carriers within the US. Now, the recently released Samsung Galaxy Tab has already shipped 1 million units globally and that's just the key details of their year.

Having looked at the figures, Gartner research firm today has confirmed that Samsung Mobile captured 32.1 percent of the U.S. Android smartphone market in Q3 2010 based on retail sales, an increase from 9.2 percent of the Android smartphone market in Q4 2009. All of which pushes Samsung Mobile to the number one mobile provider slot within the US. Congrats go out to Samsung! But, let it be know that we've not forgotten we still need Android 2.2 to be released. Full press release is available after the break.

SAMSUNG MOBILE NAMED #1 ANDROID SMARTPHONE PROVIDER BASED ON RETAIL SALES IN U.S. & GALAXY S PORTFOLIO REACHES THREE MILLION SHIPMENTS MILESTONE 

Independent research from leading industry analyst firm shows Samsung captured top spot in U.S. Android smartphone market in third quarter of 2010

DALLAS, December 3, 2010 — Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile)1, the  No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S., today announced that third party research firm Gartner® reported Samsung as the top Android smartphone provider in terms of sell through to end users in the United States for the third quarter of 20102.  According to Gartner, Samsung Mobile captured 32.1 percent of the U.S. Android smartphone market in Q3 2010 based on retail sales, an increase from 9.2 percent of the Android smartphone market in Q4 2009.

Samsung Mobile attributes much of the success to its Galaxy S portfolio of premium smartphones, which recently passed the three million shipment milestone in the U.S.  Galaxy S smartphones are currently available with AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless, along with U.S. Cellular and Cellular South.

“I want to personally thank everyone who selected a Galaxy S smartphone as their mobile handset of choice. Neither of these wonderful accomplishments would have been possible without the loyalty and support of our customers,” said Dale Sohn, president of Samsung Mobile. “The Galaxy S portfolio has played a significant role in Samsung’s success in 2010 and we are extremely excited to show you what products, services and innovations we have in store for the U.S. market in 2011.” 

The Samsung Galaxy S portfolio is packed with premium features and services, including a brilliant 4-inch Super AMOLED display screen, 1GHz Hummingbird Application Processor, Samsung’s Media Hub premium movie and TV programming download service and a full array of entertainment, messaging and social networking capabilities. The Galaxy S portfolio will be upgraded to the Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system in the near future

For additional information on the Samsung Galaxy S portfolio, please visit www.samsung.com/galaxys.

1 Number one mobile phone provider in the U.S claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, Q3 2010 U.S. Market Share Handset Shipments Reports.

2 Number one Android smartphone provider in the U.S. claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported sales data according to Gartner Inc. Competitive Landscape: Mobile Devices, Worldwide, 3Q10 Report (published November 9, 2010 by authors Roberta Cozza, Carolina Milanesi, Anshul Gupta, Hugues J. De La Vergne, Annette Zimmermann, CK Lu, Atsuro Sato and Tuong Huy Nguyen)

About Samsung Telecommunications America
    Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com

About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2009 consolidated sales of US$116.8 billion. Employing approximately 174,000 people in 193 offices across 66 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.

• 164. Re: android 2.2 updatechrome://newtab/
    rahkriga Newbie

So when that restaurant tells you your order will be ready in 10 mins...and its not, then they say itll be another hour, then after that hour ...its another hour...

We were all told that we would have 2.2 in sept...then oct.....then nov....now its dec and still nothing. SO yeah...We have a lot to complain about. I was told that my Epic came with 2.2 stock...lie. I was told that I would have access to 4g networks....lie. The closest 4g is about 50 miles from me. Its been one lie after another from sprint so yes Im ****** that they cant even get a simple update released. Im being forced to pay extra money for a network I dont have access to. All in alll.....theres plenty to complain about

1 9 10 11 12 13 42 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points