This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2010 7:32 PM by illegal_operation RSS

Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

ClaudiPo Silver Expert
Currently Being Moderated

I posted at lot of information about certain devices requiring certain rate plans, discounts, etc. in the blog at http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2010/12/02/whats-there-to-know-about-iconic-phones-and-data-plans .  I'm sure it will trigger additional questions, so I wanted to provide a forum to ask those.

As I mentioned in the blog, please reserve this space for customers with actual questions.  If you want to express your views of, happiness or unhappines about Sprint's rate plans, you can do so in this thread at http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/220909#220909 or start a new discussion.  Thanks!

Message was edited by: ClaudiPo

• 1. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

Link in ClaudiPo's post does not work.

Here it is without the period at the end:

[LINK]

• 2. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

Dang, sometimes the code includes a period, comma, whatever in the URL, which ultimately breaks it.  Thanks for fixing and reposting it.

• 3. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

No problem.

Now, I have no plans on leaving my $30 SERO F&F 500 plan for the new SERO Premium offering nor the $10/month add-on for a "rich data experience" (whatever that means).

$30/month is all I can afford (and honestly, what I feel a month of cell phone service is truly worth seeing that I don't travel for business and sit at a desk 5 days/week with a corporate land line & internet access).

That said, can you provide a list of what 3G devices I am able to upgrade to while maintaining the above?

I have a Samsung ACE that's getting long in the tooth.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    illegal_operation Valued Member

I would also like to keep my current plan,  I have a legacy Free and Clear 500.  It has unlimited data, web, and texts.

Basically everything I need.

Since I can't for some reason get an Epic and keep my plan.

What other phones can I replace my Mogul with, and keep my plan

• 5. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

Since the Transform is a 3G phone,  and since I already have unlimited data with my current F&C500 plan.   I should be able to upgrade to this phone and keep my current plan untouched.

Is this correct?

• 6. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

TD99,

Did anyone ever provide you with a list of current phones that you could upgrade too?

I'm having the same difficulty as you, and I think the reason is that there are no phones we can upgrade too.   Unless we want to go back to an old flip phone that has no features at all.

• 7. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

CDOYLE023,

No list yet.

Also, good luck on upgrading to a Samsung Transform as that runs on an Android operating system which requires one to "upgrade" to the "SERO Premium" plan for $10 more per month.

So until I hear otherwise, I would have to say that yes, we are stuck in the sand if we choose to stick with our $30/month plans. I personally do not want (nor need) the two additional functions that the "SERO Premium" plan has to offer, so I am staying put. After all, Sprint execs, why would I change when I already have what I need?

$10/more per month is a 33.3% increase! $120 more per year!

Ultimately, it's Sprint's call as they are company and so they call the shots. I just feel that those of us on the $30 SERO plan are being screwed by not being able to upgrade our devices to what appears to be anything current with decent ratings.

• 8. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

I've been trying to get an answer from Sprint customer service by email.

I've asked 3 times now, for a list of current phones comparable in function to my Mogul, that I can upgrade too and keep my current plan.

Each time they respond,  they provide a list of phones that I CANNOT upgrade too and keep my plan.

I tell them exactly what my plan currently offers,

500 anytime minutes

unlimited web/data

unlimited texts

mobile to mobile

sprint data roaming

and nights and weekends starting at 7PM

They reply back again, with this.

Samsung Transform is available in market. You may purchase the phone through online or by visiting the store.
    Fair and Flexible plan which is currently active on the account, is not compatible with Samsung transform phone. It requires data plan.
    Therefore, you need to change the  current plan.

Data Plan includes :
    $69.99 Everything Data
    It includes 450 Anytime Minutes
    Additional Anytime Minutes will be charged at $0.45 per minute Unlimited Mobile to Mobile, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges Unlimited Internet access Anytime Anymobile:  All domestic calls to any mobile on any network unlimited (user must not be roaming)
    Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
    Talk: Nights, Mon-Thurs. 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.; Weekends, Fri. 7 p.m. - Mon. 7 a.m.

So I reply back for the 4th time, asking them to please answer my question.   What is the difference between my current data plan,  and the new data plan they want me to sign up for, just to get a new phone.

From what I can tell,  it's the exact same plan except the new plan has 50 anytime minutes LESS than what I have now.   I asked them to please tell me what the additional $35 per month is for?

As of now, they have stopped responding to my emails. 

So it appears that Sprint Customer service can't even explain the difference between my current unlimited data plan,  and the new unlimited data plan.  

I'm very frustrated over this,   I'm not even asking for a 4G phone now.  I just want a 3G upgrade to what I have now.   Been a customer for 14 years (may even be longer) and they are trying to squeeze more money out of me for nothing really.

• 9. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

All I can say is "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT".

I've been a Sprint customer since the mid-90's (except from 2006-2008 where I had a company issued cell).

The main reason I'm still with Sprint today is NOT the price, but because signal reception is great (versus the competitors) at both my house and my work.

• 10. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

For me, it's always been the price/features I got with my plan is why I've been with them so long.   I stuck it out with really cruddy phones, and so-so customer service for so many years.

But now,  if they expect me to more than double my current montly rate and on top of that get LESS anytime minutes than I have now.  Just to be able to get a new phone that is compariable to the one I already have??   That just doesn't make any sense at all.    That extra $35 isn't even for 4G, that would be another additional $10!!

Plus if they can allow SERO customers to upgrade to a 4G phone and only have to pay the extra $10 (or is it $20).   There is no reason they can't allow us legacy plan holders to do the same.

Well if that's the case the incentive to stay with Sprint is gone.

I can just go to Verizon since my entire family and everyone I know is with them. 

It's really telling when their customer service can't/won't explain the difference between my current 3G unlimited data plan,  and the new 3G unlimited data plan.    Can the Sprint staff on this forum explain it?   Remember data is data,  and unlimited is unlimited.    Right now,  nobody at Sprint customer serivce has been able to tell me the difference between the 2.

• 11. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

If you end up shopping around, consider this as well:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com

• 12. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog

So here is the latest response,  it's obvious that they cannot explain the difference between the new data plans and the old ones.

So they give the reason that I can't upgrade is because my current data pack is an addon.   What in the world difference does that make? How does that technically effect the phone in anyway? 

It doesn't...   The only reason they are not 'compatible' is because Sprint wants people to pay more for the exact same plan!   It's incredible that this is what Sprint has become, and how it expects it's long time customers to just say OK  here is an additional $420 a year for nothing in return.

Thank you for your reply.

You currently have the Data pack as an attachable option.  The phones mentioned in the previous emails are not compatible with add-on data pack.

The phones mentioned can only be activated with the Data Plan as a built-in option.  This is the reason you will be required to change the plan if you choose the one of the phones.  These phones cannot be activated with your current plan.

• 13. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    ClaudiPo Silver Expert

I'm very sorry about the delayed response, I was out of the office for a couple of days.  CDOYLE023, I answered your questions in a separate thread not knowing you had posted here several times.  I'm including the link for other folks who may be interested in my answers: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/242612#242612

As for the question which phone will work with the legacy plans, the answer at a high-level is every phone NOT included in the list posted at http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2010/12/02/whats-there-to-know-about-iconic-phones-and-data-plans with the exeption of Nextel phones (such as the Motorola i1) which operate on the iDEN network.  So if you are on an old Sprint legacy plan wanting to upgrade to a Nextel phone, you will need to change your plan regardless.  Reason being is that those plans were built in the pre-Sprint Nextel merger days and are made compatible in the system only with select Sprint phones.

Now in order to know for sure, someone with access to your account would have to take a look and confirm.  As I mentioned in my other post, we have so incredibly many plans from the old days that a general rule of thumb is unfortunately not possible.  If you'd like, feel free to click on my avatar and send me a private message with the Sprint phone number you want to upgrade with which device(s) and I'll find someone to verify.

• 14. Re: Questions from "What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans?" blog
    TD99 Regular Visitor

OK, I just manually created a list of non-Nextel devices cross-referencing what's currently available at Sprint.com against the information from ClaudiPo's previous posts.

If you want to retain your current plan (which I do), these devices are off-limits:

• Palm® Pre™
    • Samsung Instinct®
    • Samsung Instinct® s30™
    • Samsung Instinct® HD
    • HTC Hero™ with Google™
    • Samsung Moment™ with Google™
    • Samsung Intercept™ with Google™
    • Palm® Pixie™
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Curve™ 9330 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650 smartphone
    • BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 smartphone
    • LG Optimus S™
    • SANYO Zio™
    • Samsung Transform™
    • Motorola ES400S
    • HTC EVO™ 4G (Also requires $10/mo. Premium Data add-on.)
    • Samsung Epic™ 4G (Also requires $10/mo. Premium Data add-on.)

That means the only ones remaining are the following:

• LG Rumor Touch™
    • Samsung Restore™
    • LG Remarq™
    • Samsung Reclaim™
    • M360 by Samsung®
    • SCP-2700 by SANYO®
    • Samsung Seek™
    • M240 by Samsung®
    • Sanyo Innuendo™ by Kyocera
    • LG Lotus Elite™
    • SANYO Incognito™
    • Sanyo Taho by Kyocera
    • Samsung Intrepid™
    • HTC Touch Pro2

And if you want what's classified as a "PDA/Smartphone", then your choices are now down to:

• Samsung Intrepid™ (Windows Mobile 6.x)
    • HTC Touch Pro2 (Windows Mobile 6.x)

1 2 Previous Next