This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2008 2:05 PM by mdriest RSS

Sprint SmartView

Valued Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just downloaded SM. Thank you Sprint. It is working great with my AC595U. I tried to trick it to work with my ic902. Not so much!

SM contains WIFI support and is very attractive compared toSprint Mobile Broadband. Anything else I should be looking for?

Semper Fi

• 1. Re: Sprint SmartView
    redhatnick0 Valued Member

Kudos for Sprint on the new SmartView release. I hope this is the first in a long line of consistent, fresh and stable releases for SmartView. Much improved kudos on the Mac support.

I do think the versioning is somewhat inconsistent as there is a ton of literature referencing the Sprint Connection Manager, SCM 3.x, SCM 1.x and now SmartView 1.x in a short period of time, it leads to conflicting and confusing information if you don't know what your looking for.

I do however wish there was someway to update the SCM "Lite" included in my U727 to Smartview. Now if you install in a computer that doesn't have any type of connection manager, it installs the really old version, but what works, works!

• 2. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Regular Visitor

Has anyone noticed that with the new Sprint Connection Manager update since Jan. 2008 and the new Sprint SmartView that you can no longer minimize the program to the system tray (notification icon area) near your clock on the taskbar?

Anytime I minimize the program after connecting it sits in my taskbar as a main running application like Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook would.

In my opinion this is a waste of space on a taskbar that can be already cluttered with Quick Launch icons and lots of system tray/notification area icons.

• 3. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Expert

More than likely going to leave sprint because the vender site stopped

my bonus because I transferred an airave call to the airave support site

after fixing the phones on the account. So I am deleting my postings.

Message Edited by Threestepps on 12-29-2008 12:53 PM

• 4. Re: Sprint SmartView

I am glad I kept the old connection manager. SM work twice for me very slowly. and now it says it cant find the broadband device.. U720

• 5. Re: Sprint SmartView

Hi mdriest,

Have you found a solution to this? I also can't minimize to systray and it's annoying to see it just sitting there taking up space.

• 6. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Regular Visitor

clydebassie,

I'm still running version 1.12 and I haven't found a solution to the minimize issue. Yes - it's annoying with the amount of space it takes up.

I see there's a new version 1.13.0010.0 which I've insalled buthavent had a chance to use yet. I hope to try out the new version in the next couple of days and we'll see what it offers.

• 7. Re: Sprint SmartView

Hi,

I installed it, unfortunately they still forgot to give us the option.

CLyde

• 8. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Regular Visitor

Clyde,

I used version 1.13.0010.0 last Wednesday and I also didn't see the option to minimize SmartView to the System Tray/Notification Area.

Mike

• 9. Re: Sprint SmartView

Until Sprint decides to give us back the "minimize to system tray" function we can get around the problem with an application called "Trayer" http://www.kfsoft.com/trayer/intro.htm

It will convert the taskbar button to an icon in the system tray.

• 10. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Regular Visitor

I've been in contact with some folks at Sprint and they are pushing to get the "minimize to system tray" feature back into the SmartView Client but it may not happen until the next major release.

I appreciate the suggestion to use Trayer, although it won't be practical for us as I'm supporting a business environment with 60+ Sprint Mobile Broadband Cards.

• 11. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Valued Member

You can reduce the size of the application by clicking the 'trangle' next to the minimize window line '_' in the top right. Running in mini mode helps conserrve some desktop space. Just dont set the application to 'always on top'.

• 12. Re: Sprint SmartView
    Regular Visitor

I've used mini mode once or twice but I wasn't as concerned with the desktop space (not using Always on Top). The large button in my taskbar is what drives me nuts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...