This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 5:53 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo

xandre Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello people

Is there somebody out there that can tell us, evo owners, when the official date of gingerbread 2.3 upgrade will come out?

Thanks for your help

Message was edited by: ALEX051002

• 1. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    wingland Sprint Admin

Hi!

Sprint and HTC have not announced any plans yet for an upgrade to Android 2.3 for the HTC Evo.

• 2. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    xandre Newbie

Are we getting the 2.3 upgrade someday??????????

• 3. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    TWOSCOOPSOFHOOAH Regular Visitor

Word on the street is that it's not going to happen.

• 4. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    cpip2009 Newbie

I called HTC about HTC Sync not working with Office 2010, and asked about a "fix" for the last maintenance release on the Evo. I didn't update my device thank goodness since I saw all of the problems reported in the forums, but I still wanted to know about a fix and the posible improvements that might go along with it.

The rep told me that he did not have an answer on the syncing issue with Office 2010, but that Gingerbread would be coming to the Evo. I can only imagine that this would be because of the problems with the last maintenance release, or possibly even that HTC will be upgrading all of their Android devices - but this is purely speculation on my part.

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: cpip2009

• 5. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

It would be a safe bet that 2.3 Gingerbread won't be coming to the EVO. The EVO will most likely be deemed obsolete about 06/11 one year after it was introduced. In true Sprint form, they will probably be rolling out a new Android phone that will have Gingerbread on it and customers will want the latest and greatest phone, and they get you to sign up for a new 2-year contract.

• 6. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    charlie0128 Newbie

i and alot of other evo owners are looking for a straight up answer. now i know the evo is still selling. could we please get an answer.Nowif you dont know anything.do you think you could talk to someone that does? here is what i know  i have been a sprint customer for ten years now.i have been giving sprint alot of business.i pay for service that is not even in my area. thank you for reading this.

• 7. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    xandre Newbie

Today I received a call from HTC. I contacted them a couple days ago and I did a survey where I put everything the lowest score.

They asked me why it scored so bad and I told them that the EVO has alot of issues, battery doesn't last long, reboots by itself, etc.

I asked her (twice) about the 2.3 gingerbread upgrade, she confirmed that the EVO will get it and it will fix all the problems.

• 8. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

I'll believe this when I see it. If and when the update does come to the EVO, you can bet that it will be many months after any new phones may be introduced that already have 2.3 Gingerbread on it.

Sprint has not done anything that has been in the interest of their customers. It is not in their best interest to update current phones. They make out better by selling new phones and new contracts.

• 9. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

RCKSTEIN02 wrote:

Sprint has not done anything that has been in the interest of their customers. It is not in their best interest to update current phones. They make out better by selling new phones and new contracts.

So that's why the HTC EVO was the first released phone to be updated from Android 2.1 to 2.2?

• 10. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    jbs1968 Newbie

I had spoke with an HTC rep last night and he stated 2nd quarter of 2011  for the update to 2.3, so that would mean April, May, or June sometime. 

• 11. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

HALCYONCMDR117:

The only reason that the EVO was updated with 2.2 was so Sprint and HTC can sell more phones. We'll just have to wait and see how long Sprint and HTC continues to offer support for the EVO.

What has Sprint done to address the many issues created by Maintenance Release 3.70.651.1? For me, just one of the many issues created with this update was the loss of 4G service at my home location. Prior to the update I had 4G service, but now I no longer do but I must continue to pay Sprint the $10/month Premium Data Fee. Just read that thread on this website and you will see many customers not happy with that update!

If the EVO is updated with 2.3, how much bloatware will Sprint add to the update? And please don't respond that any added bloatware comes from HTC. I have already contacted HTC in the past and they have stated that they are under contract with Sprint to add anything that Sprint requests to be added.

Can you please explain why Sprint has decided to change the terms and conditions of the Premier Program rather than grandfather in current customers and make the changes apply only to new customers? While in the middle of the contract for a lot of Sprint customers, when the early upgrade was very much a part of their original contract, and Sprint doesn't consider this a breach of contract?

• 12. Re: 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    jbs1968 Newbie

RCKSTEIN02:

Hello,

If i was unsatisfied and unhappy as you appear to be in your writings, I would leave for some other carrier, even if I had to bite the bullet and pay any charges to get out of my contract.  Just not worth it man.

• 13. 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    VESPA731 Expert

I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years now. I remember when I got the Samsung Instinct (the first one, the one that had all the commercials at movie theaters boasting to be an 'iPhone Killer') and was lucky if a firmware update was available via cable or OTA. Then I was stuck with the HTC Hero. Great size for an Android phone, but was stuck with Android 1.5 for a LONG time. All the complaints for 2.1 were endless. We finally got 2.1 for the Hero (shortly afterwards, 2.2 came out - ironic). Guess what? Sprint's approved version of 2.1 was BUGGY. I'm not surprised at the long wait for 2.3. Like one said earlier, the EVO is still selling quite well (while boasting 4G that you HAVE to pay extra for even if it's very limited in your area). I'm not going to hold my breath for 2.3 to come anytime soon. Heck, more access to 4G would be a lot better than an upgraded firmware. What's the point in shelling $10 extra per month for a 4G option that is usually always turned off on my EVO due to lack of 4G availability in my area?

• 14. 2.3 official upgrade date for htc evo
    RCKSTEIN02 Valued Member

jbs1968:

I will be leaving Sprint for another carrier. I have been with Sprint for over 11 years now but I guess because I have contacted the Sprint Customer Service Representatives, or visited one of their repair centers one too many times trying to get issues fixed or resolved, today (03/07/11) I received a letter from Sprint that as of 03/30/11 they will be terminating my cellular service. They also will not be assessing me their Early Termination Fee.

This is just the nudge that I needed as there are plenty of other cellular carriers that will welcome my business! My Small Claims Lawsuit that I filed against Sprint in 12/10 is still pending, just waiting for a trial date to be set. My other Small Claims Lawsuit that I filed in 11/10 I received a payment of $552 from Sprint for a defective phone in that case.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points