This discussion is archived
1 2 3 9 Previous Next 129 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2011 6:43 PM by dshoem01 RSS

Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

dshoem01 Gold Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Below is a statement that will be released today regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade for the Epic.  Watch for additional information to be posted on Monday!

Android 2.2/Froyo will be pushed to Sprint Samsung Epic 4G customers beginning Feb. 21.  All users should have access to Android 2.2 by Feb. 25.

New Samsung Epic 4G MR EB13 will upgrade the Epic 4G to Android 2.2/Froyo, many updates including Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing, allows app installs to external storage

This software update (version EB13) will include:

• Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)
  • Ability to install applications to external storage
  • Improved Bluetooth device support
  • Bluetooth Voice Dialing
  • Flash Player 10.1
  • GPS Enhancements
  • Improved OS performance

UPDATE PROCESS: The software update will be delivered as a wireless download (over-the-air, or OTA) in waves starting on February 21. All Samsung Epic 4G owners should have access to the download by the end of the week (Feb. 25).

Once your Epic is in the queue and eligible to download the update, a message will be pushed to your device saying that a software update is available. If you are not yet in the queue and you attempt to check for a software update manually, you will receive a message saying “no upgrade is available”.  This simply means your device isn’t in the current wave of updates. 

All customers should have access to the update by the end of the week (Feb. 25).

Message was edited by: wengla02

• 1. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    DMS007 Valued Member

Alright, It is about time. Now people can start to complain about not getting 2.3 or gingerbread. LOL

• 2. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    Mainen Newbie

They already are complaining about not having Gingerbread. They have been for months. Problem is they don't know how much work goes into actually pushing out a release and the manpower it takes to support it when people have questions.

• 3. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    KB_BOYKIN Valued Member

Thanks for the official confirmation.  I look forward to taking my epic to the next level.  It is truly an amazing phone and it will just be a bit better once the update is onboard.  I will finally be able to move some of my large medical apps to the SD card and sort my contacts by last name.

--Keith

• 4. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    ALEX94Z28 Regular Visitor

How about a list of all fixes/enhancements in the update?  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    JasonsfAZ Regular Visitor

Awesome! Thank you!!!!

• 6. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    RSPC Expert

This Is what I heard so far..from different sources On the web.  Enhancements: The following changes will occur when updating from Éclair to Froyo. 1. Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1) 2. Ability to install applications to external storage 3. Improved Bluetooth device support 4. Bluetooth Voice Dialing 5. Flash Player 10.1 6. GPS Enhancements 7. Improved OS performance..  The source code has also been released.

I see the OP just updated to include the same info.

Message was edited by: RSPC

• 7. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    hawkfansixty Newbie

Great news, thanks.

What will happen to those of use who updated to the December 4th DK28 Froyo build that was hosted on Google's servers?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    Jazzman77 Regular Visitor

LOL  they will start complaining 6 months after every Android phone has gets Gingerbread.

Thank you Sprint!  You just increased the value of the Samsung Epic.  Now I will sell it on Ebay and go to another carrier.

• 9. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    THEREALCHEWTOY Regular Visitor

No, the problem isn't that people don't realize the amount of effort involved -- the problem is Sprint LIED to us in the stores to get us to buy the **** phones!  I would NOT have bought the Epic if I hadn't made the idiotic mistake of trusting Sprint's statement that Froyo would be on the phone in October at the latest.

The other parts of the problem are:

1. People like you, who think it's acceptible for some phones to get OS updates 8 months after they were released.

and

2. Carriers and OEMs who have no incentive to keep their phones up to date after they're sold.

Someday this is going to be the end of Android if it doesn't get fixed.  If an OEM can't get the latest version of the OS to its handsets within at most two months, then they should no longer be able to sell them without removing the Android name.

Imagine what's going to happen the first time a big Android botnet turns malicious -- do you really think Samsung and Sprint will be able to prepare and push out security updates in a timely manner?  Some day people are going to be taking hammers to their Android handsets out of frustration if this keeps up.

• 10. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    WanderlustX2 Newbie

Jazzman77 wrote:

LOL  they will start complaining 6 months after every Android phone has gets Gingerbread.

Thank you Sprint!  You just increased the value of the Samsung Epic.  Now I will sell it on Ebay and go to another carrier.

I love the clueless people who post about Sprint with regards to the release schedule of 2.2 for the Epic. Go get the Fascinate on Verizon, the Vibrant on T-Mobile or AT&T's Captivate. Oh wait, that's right NONE of Samsung's Galaxy S phones have 2.2.  

If you're unhappy about service from Sprint, fine but if it's about 2.2, get a clue before blathering on about Sprint not delivering on updates and go tell Samsung.

Thanks for the announcement, Sprint!

As for the future of Android and I, it's on shaky ground... At least Microsoft is managing their patch process so 'things' like this doesn't happen.

• 11. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    queueball Newbie

How can you say people are clueless in their comments?  T-mobile's update was released Jan 20th for the Vibrant.

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsung-Vibrant/Samsung-Vibrant-software-upgrade-to-Android-2-2-Froyo-now/td-p/678871

It is true that Samsung has more to do with it than Sprint, but Sprint isn't the first to release it.  AT&T started to release it but I think they had problems with inital installations so they stopped it to work on it more. Their official release is still floating around the internet as well though.

• 12. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    RMCDOWELL142 Regular Visitor

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

• 13. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    huntml Valued Member

Wanderlust wrote:

I love the clueless people who post about Sprint with regards to the release schedule of 2.2 for the Epic. Go get the Fascinate on Verizon, the Vibrant on T-Mobile or AT&T's Captivate. Oh wait, that's right NONE of Samsung's Galaxy S phones have 2.2.  

If you're unhappy about service from Sprint, fine but if it's about 2.2, get a clue before blathering on about Sprint not delivering on updates and go tell Samsung.

Thanks for the announcement, Sprint!

As for the future of Android and I, it's on shaky ground... At least Microsoft is managing their patch process so 'things' like this doesn't happen.

I believe Rogers has pushed an update, the unlocked international version has gotten one, and one has been announced for ATTM, so it isn't true that none of the Galaxy S variants have 2.2.

This said, I agree that by all appearances it appears that Samsung is more to blame for the late date of this upgrade than Sprint given how long it has taken to show up in any of the North American variants, and by the fact that Samsung has already released the Nexus S with an unskinned version of 2.3, and it's essentially identical hardware to the GSM Galaxy S variants.

But I don't think Samsung is *100%* to blame. The OEMs all want to differentiate/generate additional revenue for themselves by doing custom skins and integrated features like the Media Hub,  and this is a big part of the problem; but the operators all want custom things in the kernel too, and these cost time and development effort as well.

If everyone just went with the 'Nexus' model and shipped devices with stock kernels and carrier-specific baseband firmware, much of the work required to update the kernel and skins would go away, and updates would come much more easily, and presumably more quickly.

As to Android being on shaky ground, I don't agree. Even with such problems as these, the platform continues to have remarkable success in the marketplace. The developers and OEMs have gotten caught flatfooted, but I truly believe that the negative customer response, engendered in part by the fact that everyone now knows (mainly because of Apple) that it is possible to do much better, has chastened them somewhat, and they will improve gradually going forward. Their desire to differentiate and run their own little side walled gardens is always going to be an issue, but I think they are seeing that consumer desire for postmarket support for upgrades is a new reality that they are going to have to take into account. I certainly know that I will be much less likely to buy a Samsung device at my next replacement unless it steps up its support game, and I think a lot of people feel this way.

As to holding up MS as a model, I'm not so sure I'd do that. I've heard that the update that MS promised for January which now seems to be coming sometime next month has actually been done and ready to push for a couple months already but because certain carriers have resisted and MS wanted to push it out simultaneously across all devices and operators, they've been forced to hold up. If this is true then some of the same factors that have probably caused some of the delay in Android updates are at play in the WindowPhone ecosystem as well. Then, too, the Mango update now looks likely to slip from its tentative date of October, and probably won't actually ship until closer to the end of the year if not until 2012. WinPhone7 is already far behind Android and iOS in terms of features and capabilities, and given the fact that Google has stated its intention to ship major upgrades at it current rate of about once every 6 months or so, if it takes MS a year to push every major upgrade they will continue to fall further and further behind and the platform will never take off.

And we haven't even seen what the RIM and HP devices are going to be like yet.

• 14. Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21
    WanderlustX2 Newbie

The Kies update was listed on their site (and ensued with several weeks of issues that Samsung was working out) but the official over the air Vibrant release is next week, along with the others. AT&T's was for several hours yesterday... I don't call 4 days being leaps and bounds ahead.

1 2 3 9 Previous Next