This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2011 12:03 AM by alirodriguezm13 RSS

What happened to the international data plan?

CallMeRemey Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Last fall I traveled overseas for a lengthy amount of time--so with sprints help I signed up for the unlimited data package for an additional $40/month.  More recently, I took a family vacation our of country and thought I would be able to use the same plan to access my data services while I was away.  I soon learned that Sprint no longer offers any international data plans and I asking customers to play for each Kb used while roaming internationally.  Normally, I would not have an issue with being charged for the data per Kb, but I feel cheated because Sprint (with little to no warning) canceled the service for their customers.  There were also other people at the destination who mentioned using the international data service several months before Sprint ended it.  Does anyone else think this wrong, on Sprints part?  As an avid traveler I might need to start looking at phone services and their international calling and data plans to see where I'll get the most bang for my buck.

• 1. Re: What happened to the international data plan?
    SIRSLY Newbie

Yes!  I think that is the biggest crock of S&*T that Sprint pulled!!!  I travel internationally too and was upset when I heard they cancelled that plan!!  The reason I even got the phone and plan that I did was because of that!!!  You would think in this worldwide economy, that would be something that they would have kept!!  I guess they're trying to maximize their profits as much as possible without thinking about how it might affect the customer!  Once my contract is up, I'm gonna have to start looking at other plans too!!

• 2. Re: What happened to the international data plan?
    jimbo122448 Newbie

I also would like to see a flat rate international data plan available (such as for e-mail, Web browsing, instant messaging, and text messaging).  I hate the per-KB mode; I would rather pay a known amount and feel free to use up the whatever the reasonable limit is.  There should also be a way to do this---as Verizon has---for any portion of a month (such as 7/30 of a month for a week in Canada---or Russia---or wherever).  Otherwise, I was seriously tempted to get the Merlin C777 air card by Novatel Wireless, a highly rated mobile broadband device (IF it is globally capable).

• 3. What happened to the international data plan?
    PHILMARTIN1 Newbie

The intl data plan cost me 72 dollars the first day i had it on in italy.......ive been with sprint since 1996, had a intl plan since 2005 and when i got a new phone i was forced off the 40 dollar a month data plan onto the per usage plan.....it was 72 dollars the first day, i was getting email and using facebook....are you kidding me!!!....so after 2 weeks of trying to get back on my plan or something reasonable....sprint said they can not do anything for me.....so after 15yrs of loyalty im leaving Sprint.

• 4. What happened to the international data plan?
    MYKYTYN123 Newbie

I had a similar experience to CallMeRemey.  $40 in 2010 for about a month in Europe.  I contacted Sprint Customer Service in about March or April 2011 before going to Europe in May 2011 to activate the unlimited international data plan, which I was told no longer existed. Instead, I would be charged by the Kb.  I went back to my bills from May and June 2010 and added up the number of Kilobytes I used last year and called Sprint back and asked them what I would pay this year if I used the same numbef of Kilobytes.  It would have been in excess of $3,100.  Going from a money losing proposition to one that gouges the customer is not the way to run the business.  Some sort of plan/graduated usage should be available in lieu of just paying by the Kilobyte.

• 5. What happened to the international data plan?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

We still have 40.00 Worldwide Data Add-On available for Business Corporate Liable customers.

• 6. What happened to the international data plan?
    MYKYTYN123 Newbie

I'm not even sure what Business Corporate Liable customers are. But it certainly does not seem to be applicable to the individual user. I guess the only option available internationally that does not "break the bank" is to turn on WiFi capability and hope that a free hotspot is available.

• 7. What happened to the international data plan?
    abe2020 Sprint Employee

The plan I mentioned is available only to Business Accounts and not for Individual Accounts.

• 8. What happened to the international data plan?
    alirodriguezm13 Newbie

I prefer to port out to Verizon in order to get the unlimited international data plan, I dont care if I have to pay a termination fee to Sprint, beilive me its gonna be cheapper than pay per kb internationally to Sprint!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...