This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2008 2:37 AM by tariw1220 RSS

Sprint to cap data at 5gb?

Currently Being Moderated

On Howardforums I saw a thread that Sprint was going to fall in line with ATT and Verizon and cap their data at 5gb (or 300mb for roaming). Has this been confirmed? If it is Sprint has lost me as a customer. I currently only have the unlimited data plan from sprint and have my voice plan with AT&T.

Since January when I signed up, I think the Max amount of data I've used is 2gb, and that was because I was installing a bunch of windows updates. I don't think I'll ever exceed the cap, but the whole reason I signed up for Sprint was the lack of caps. I was going to pull the trigger and get three simply everything unimited plans when the instinct and official GPS/REV a update for the touch was released. Now I'll probabky just stick with AT&T.

• 2. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Bronze Expert

I apologize for cross posting this but I feel very strongly on this issue.

Let me put this bluntly- I am a Sprint customer right now because they have great coverage and REAL UNLIMITED DATA. I don't even use that much data- but knowing that the ability is there if I feel a use for it is a BIG reason why I stick with Sprint. It's also peace of mind- I can stream radio, download lots of **** off my VPN and otherwise use it happily without worrying how much bandwidth I use. As soon as you put in a limit, the customer has to start watching what they do and that makes the product MUCH less appealing.

I have been a Sprint customer for around 10 years. I was with Nextel pre-merger, I've had i1000s, i95cl, blackberry 7520, and now a Mogul. I've put up with horrible CS, bad wait times, and I pay Sprint a lot- amongst my various services, my monthly bill is over $200.

Like I said, I stick with sprint because of the coverage and the unlimited data.

If Sprint decides to become another AT&T/Verizon clone with a 5GB cap, why shouldn't I switch to:

Verizon- same cap, same Mogul (PPC6800/XV6800), only with MMS (and real MMS not watered down picture mail)
    AT&T- GSM carrier, i can get a much cooler unlocked phone and it'll work anywhere on the globe
    Tmobile- coverage not as good but pricing/service excellent, wait a few months for those cool unlocked phones to support 1700MHz UMTS

To be honest I'm not sure. If Sprint starts capping their data service, that might be enough to make me lose any loyalty I have left and start shopping around. I will again point out that I've been with this company for 10 years, and I've recommended Sprint to others.

I will also point out that geeks (the ones who use lots of bandwidth) have a catalyst effect- if you attract them, and they like what they see, they will recommend the product to the people who turn to them for advice. I am such a person.

I think we all have our reasons for putting up with certain aspects of Sprint, well that's mine. Coverage and data, and the hope that someone at sprint 'gets it' and understands that wireless DATA is where the future is going, NOT VOICE. I think Barry West gets it, and I think so does Russ McGuire (in his interview he made some comment like 'in the future everything will be just another IP endpoint'...

If Sprint caps things at 5gb they lose any and all differentiation for their data product. And they will lose a lot of loyalty from people like me in the process.

To anybody from Sprint who reads this- DO NOT DO THIS.

• 3. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    jwesemanmsu Expert

IronHelix wrote:
    I apologize for cross posting this but I feel very strongly on this issue.

Let me put this bluntly- I am a Sprint customer right now because they have great coverage and REAL UNLIMITED DATA. I don't even use that much data- but knowing that the ability is there if I feel a use for it is a BIG reason why I stick with Sprint. It's also peace of mind- I can stream radio, download lots of **** off my VPN and otherwise use it happily without worrying how much bandwidth I use. As soon as you put in a limit, the customer has to start watching what they do and that makes the product MUCH less appealing.

I have been a Sprint customer for around 10 years. I was with Nextel pre-merger, I've had i1000s, i95cl, blackberry 7520, and now a Mogul. I've put up with horrible CS, bad wait times, and I pay Sprint a lot- amongst my various services, my monthly bill is over $200.

Like I said, I stick with sprint because of the coverage and the unlimited data.

If Sprint decides to become another AT&T/Verizon clone with a 5GB cap, why shouldn't I switch to:

Verizon- same cap, same Mogul (PPC6800/XV6800), only with MMS (and real MMS not watered down picture mail)
    AT&T- GSM carrier, i can get a much cooler unlocked phone and it'll work anywhere on the globe
    Tmobile- coverage not as good but pricing/service excellent, wait a few months for those cool unlocked phones to support 1700MHz UMTS

To be honest I'm not sure. If Sprint starts capping their data service, that might be enough to make me lose any loyalty I have left and start shopping around. I will again point out that I've been with this company for 10 years, and I've recommended Sprint to others.

I will also point out that geeks (the ones who use lots of bandwidth) have a catalyst effect- if you attract them, and they like what they see, they will recommend the product to the people who turn to them for advice. I am such a person.

I think we all have our reasons for putting up with certain aspects of Sprint, well that's mine. Coverage and data, and the hope that someone at sprint 'gets it' and understands that wireless DATA is where the future is going, NOT VOICE. I think Barry West gets it, and I think so does Russ McGuire (in his interview he made some comment like 'in the future everything will be just another IP endpoint'...

If Sprint caps things at 5gb they lose any and all differentiation for their data product. And they will lose a lot of loyalty from people like me in the process.

To anybody from Sprint who reads this- DO NOT DO THIS.

Amen to that! This is the one thing that seriously sets sprint apart. Tristan, will, anyone this information needs to be made known to higher ups if not you just lost a lot of customers.

Posted using Merlin s720

• 4. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    redhatnick0 Valued Member

Add my name to the fire. If Sprint is now going to get stingy with the data afterI just signeda two year contract two months ago, then that's a material change in the agreement, and let me be free to go my seperate way without penalty. If going over 5GB is that problematic, then Sprint can keep thier data.This really goes counter to whatHesse just said he wants us to use our phones in Simply Everything "without the meter running". After the last million customers walked out in the last quarter, you'd think there would be plenty of data to go around! Sprint isn't an airline. I don't think theres going to be a goverment bailout for this sinking carrier.

• 5. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Valued Member

Sign me up in protest too. If I had any other viable options available, I'd on the phone with them breaking the contract.

Morons.

Do they not know that the majority of the users of their EVDO are NOT mobile, in fact we are rural folk, without access to any decent service save for theirs? This is insanity!

• 6. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Regular Visitor

Won't affect me. Sprint just switched on EVDO in my area, and promptly killed signal strength. So, after a year of dealing with Sprint software issues, multi-second latency times, sub-dial up speeds and frequent disconnects on the 1xRTT network, they finally got all the bugs worked out about a month ago (still @ 1xRTT). Suddenly latency dropped under 500ms (which was huge improvement), fast connects, and rarely a dropped connection (all this at home, not mobile). Download speed were consistent in the 150-180Kb/s range. While not blazing fast, it beat the heck out of dialup. Now, they turn on EVDO. Signal strength is dropped like a brick. When I'm lucky enough to connect (I use DUN), I'm now seeing -110dbm or worse. Signal fluctuates, esp. in rain and during peak use hours. Often drops to -125dbm which drops the connection. This is for 1xRTT, EVDO is even worse. I can only connect EVDO by taking the laptop outside and standing in one particular spot in the yard - and even then it's iffy. Never see above 20% signal level now - mostly stays around 0-10%.

Packet error rate is way up, and D/L speed is now pathetic - sub-dialup. I know EVDO is separate Data Only band, and is more finicky than the voice/data 1xRTT system, but this is silly. Now Sprint is changing horses in mid-stream, capping data at 5GB/mo? Well, here in Asheville, that sure won't be a problem. If I was D/L'ing streaming video 24/7 (assuming I could even stay connected), I wouldn't come close to the new limit. Heck, I can't even connect to email servers at times, and on the rare occasion when EVDO pops up, it usually only connects to the tower/server (local, not internet). Email usually doesn't work at all. Thought my AC595U was perhaps going flaky, but when I travel out of the area, it seems to work fine. Recently visited friends in upstate SC. Connected EVDOrevA, and had sub 100ms latency, instant connection, and D/L at or near theoretical max. It was great. Too bad I don't have that at home, or on my job sites. Oddly, a Sprint CSR called me recently to ask if I was happy w/the service. At the time, everything was working well (well, as good as it gets for here in the stone ages). Too bad I didn't know about the new unlimited data limits (huh?), and how EVDO was actually going to cripple my data access here. Mostly the CSR wanted to know if I'd sign up for another 2 yrs, as my phone is out of contract now. If they call me back again, they might just find me among those looking elsewhere for service.

I can understand the need to limit bandwidth usage to a degree (abusive users), and I never come close to 5GB/mo - but with after my last VISTA crash which wiped out the OS, I had to D/L tons of updates and drivers, as well as other apps & programs. Eventually MS WIN updates will be in the GB range, so then what? Schedule software updates over months, so I don't exceed the limit?

SPRINT, if you are trying to get rid of customers, congratulations - it's working. I was about to invest in a yagi antenna and CradlPoint router for home, but at this point think I'll just wait and see...

-scott

Asheville NC

• 7. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

servicesbyscott1 wrote:

SPRINT, if you are trying to get rid of customers, congratulations - it's working. I was about to invest in a yagi antenna and CradlPoint router for home, but at this point think I'll just wait and see...

-scott

Asheville NC

Maybe they are starting early getting ready to force fixed-base users, tethered users and datacard users to move to WiMAX, and reserve what they have in the EVDO and 1xR spectrum for just pocketable units...

If so, I understand, but they are starting too early...

• 8. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Regular Visitor

Good point, maybe they are prepping for WiMAX, but kind of a strange way to go about it... Lose customers and then try to get them back later? Course, that seems to be standard corporate procedure anymore.

I'd be glad to switch to WiMAX, but if the transistion is as slow and glitchy as the EVDO switch has been here, uhh, think I'll pass. Problem in my area is lack of towers - there's been a ban on tower construction for years, so coverage is poor in places and the carriers can't build new towers. Everyone wants cell phones, but they don't want the towers. Such smart people here. Also, there's a major issue of backhaul capacity to the towers. Only a few have access to FO, rest depend on old copper. BellSouth owns most of the landlines, but since the AT&T buyout they have largely stopped FO upgrade except to new $$$ developments. Even if Sprint eventually gets WiMax in this area, I don't see how they can handle the potentially enormous backhaul unless they microwave link towers w/o FO support. Don't think they'll be having to enforce the 5GB cap here, at least anytime soon.

-scott

Asheville NC

• 9. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    wingland Sprint Admin

Did a bit of fiddling - at absolute full bore max EVDO Rev-A link speeds, you get about 8 hours to download your 5GB.  Granted, I've never seen max theoretical speed, but for fun, here's what the limits get you:

It also works out to 6 movies from iTunes Store.

7 Linux ISO downloads 

10 hours of Netflix Streaming Video 

40 hours of Youtube videos.

500+ hours on World of Warcraft

1400 MP3 files.

40,000 average webpage views

88,000 email messages. 

17,800,000 instant messages. 

• 10. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Bronze Expert

wengla02 wrote:

Did a bit of fiddling - at absolute full bore max EVDO Rev-A link speeds, you get about 8 hours to download your 5GB. Granted, I've never seen max theoretical speed, but for fun, here's what the limits get you:

7 Linux ISO downloads

1400 MP3 files.

88,000 email messages.

Or around 86 hours of streaming MP3 at 128kbit/sec.

I'm sure the guys who made this decision looked at that and said 'nobody surfs 40k webpages or 80k emails per months so nobody will care.

the problem is (and i'm sure you understand this Will, I suspect Barry West gets it too and perhaps Russ McGuire) that todays consumer is increasingly a user of multimedia. All those things are SELLING POINTS for the mobile broadband service! The fact that you CAN watch netflix/youtube, slingbox, play WoW, download music, etc is why I (and i'm sure many others) bother with it in the first place. If there is a meter running that I will be watching, I will be constantly thinking about how much BW i'm using, and as a result will decide not to do many of the higher bandwidth activities. Some would say 'great! you're reducing network load!' but I say 'well then if I can't have any fun with it, why bother having it?'

My own personal thoughts re: my account:
    For the record, I have a Mogul with $15 powervision and also a Novatel S720 aircard with $60 unlimited data. On average, I use 0mb-750mb, as I don't travel much and my current laptop sucks. Shortly I plan on getting a new laptop, and I was planning on getting one with a Sprint modem built in. That's so that wherever I am, I can fire it up and (among other things) run my VPN, listen to streaming radio, watch youtube, and generally otherwise do everything I would do from home. I can be 'casually' online, surfing, listening to music, checking email, watching video, stuff off my VPN, and not worry about what I'm doing. That obviously may last a while if I'm in a hotel or whatever, so my Mogul is free to take a phone call. THAT'S where the value for me comes in.

If there is a cap, then I will have to monitor what I'm doing, and thinking about the bandwidth usage will hover over what I do. Chances are I'd probably keep data sessions shorter, only do what I need and get off. AKA, much less fun.

For that sort of usage pattern, why bother with an aircard? Might as well save the money, get the next iteration of Simply Everything which will (supposedly possibly) support PAM, otherwise just get PAM for $40, use it when i need it and otherwise stay off it.

Or worse (for you guys), maybe I'd get a T-Mobile builtin modem (once they are available) and pay their fee, if that's unlimited it's a better value to me. Most of the time I don't need all the EvDO speed, so if i can casually get 400kbit to surf and youtube and stream (and not worry), that's my better value right there.

Now assume I'm an average consumer, once I go in the door at Tmobile (or AT&T if I want something that works in Europe), do you really think the sales guy is going to politely accept that I only want to switch my datacard from Sprint? **** No. Any sales guy worth his commission is going to offer me some kind of bundle deal if I get a phone, or at the very least make sure I walk by the display case with all their brand new MMS supporting nifty GSM handsets, or suggest how darn convenient it would be to have only one bill...
    Point being once you push a customer even a little bit out the door, the competition is still hungrily waiting outside.

• 11. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?

wengla02 wrote:

Did a bit of fiddling - at absolute full bore max EVDO Rev-A link speeds, you get about 8 hours to download your 5GB. Granted, I've never seen max theoretical speed, but for fun, here's what the limits get you:

7 Linux ISO downloads

1400 MP3 files.

88,000 email messages.

Or one purchase of CoD4 for pc.. 5.5 gigs.. Or One purchase of Assassin's Creed, for PC.. 6 gigs. Whats a person going to do for the rest of the month, when they've already gone over their "allowance" by purchasing and downloading digital media..

• 12. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?

Or watching 5 regular season Redsox games on mlb.com

• 13. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Regular Visitor

A long time wireless user's observation:

It is interesting that all of the posts that I read on all boards are against caps. All of the people that have cancelled or said that they were goint to cancel have been because of caps. I can't remember a single post complaining about slow speed because someone was hogging bandwidth. Perhaps the ISPs are totally and completely wrong on what people want from their wireless broadband providers.

I left Hughes because of caps. (8 year customer)

I left Sprint because of the threat of caps, which was confirmed in my last bill. I was told by the person who handled my cancellation call that I hadn't exceeded their cap. (13 month customer)

I will leave Alltel/Verizon if caps are imposed. (1 week customer, yes I know, bad timing on my part)

I've read in some blogs that the wireless companies are paying over $2,000 per customer when they buy another carrier. Perhaps they should look more at retention of purchased customers and customer relations than at caps.

Speed is not very hight on my priority list, but Caps are like an eject button for me.

Listen to your customers, you fools.

Dial up is looking better every day.

• 14. Re: Sprint to cap data at 5gb?
    Gold Expert

Lyn wrote:

Listen to your customers, you fools.

Dial up is looking better every day.

Lyn, I couldn't have said it better myself. People don't want to have someone else tell them when enough is enough...they want the independence and freedom to do that on their own. Funny how NONE of the European countries impose any wireless data card cap whatsoever. And they're well ahead in terms of data card usage there given the topography and such. So, if their networks can handle the bandwidth usage, then Sprint's CDMA network should be able to easily handle the usage that it sees unless all this talk of having the most advanced network in the US was merely that...TALK.

Hmmm...given Sprint's track record, I think this cap is going to end up seriously biting them in the arse. Barry West may know how to deliver tech to the customer, but whoever made this boneheaded "We need a cap" thing is a complete and utter moron (hmmm...pick one: C-level execs? BoD? Both?). I honestly can say that even with a complete lack of telecom engineering experience, I honestly believe that I could easily run circles around the BoD and Dan Hesse in terms of how to fix this company and how to then take on Verizon and AT&T (despite them becoming 2x Nextel's size). Alas, the BoD all need a good scalping (aka get them fired) and the CEO needs a hard kick in the family jewels for giving away the one last jewel this company had left that was (until the announcement) untouchable.

Ah well...let's see how many subs leave this quarter. My bet is over 1.5M. Any takers?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...